DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What was the 'BLANK in the Blight'

Luckers

I don't know for sure what the Blank must be...maybe a pocket of AS resistance in their old city...although after 3000 years in the middle of the Blight, they will not be the same people anymore.

About the fanged Aiel.

They are probably people of Shara, and descendants of Coumin.

Remember the guy, right? The Aiel said he was strange since he was a child. He sees an old friend killed for no other reason that he was working for Lanfear, but when she was still AS.

Later on, when the Aiel caravan leaves the AS base for the TFL, the same guy finds a shocklance and actually tries to mount a fight against the attackers, even if the other Aiel are clearly shocked by his actions.

The wot wiki page for shocklance has a line about him killing himself with a shocklance, but I think the unspoken things that Aiel guy could not say is that he used it to harm someone else(he said he is still hiding in the city, so he was alive), which was the ultimate sin for a Aiel.

Now, some Aiel were talking about him, and maybe the guy actually found some Aiel shocked enough to join him and fight against the Shadow. So if the current Aiel are the descendants of a peaceful faction of the Aiel, I wonder what will the descendants of the blood thirsty Coumin will look like?!?

Sharp teeth, kill everything in sight type?

We also know that the people of Shara are very secretive and they keep their faces hidden all the time(maybe to hide the filed teeth).

Maybe the Aiel sect of Coumin tried to make their way to the Waste, but because they were already to different from their brothers, they chose to stay away from the other Aiel. Or they remained in the blight and made their own SL.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What time is it with you Louii atm?? :wink:

It's actually quite difficult to keep track of movements in finnworld. But let's give it a try..

Snakes: Mat enters via the Redstone doorway (RDW) in Tear (TSR15). He passes through a sheet of brilliant white light.

He is in a round hall with a high ceiling, containg the RDW he entered by. He meets a 'snake'.

He follows the snake through a maze of twisty little passages all alike a number of curved halls with circular windows, and no decoration, 'only patterns, and always curves'.*

Through the round windows he sees strange plants under an overcast sky, and the silvery spires. He seems to pass the same window several times. He stops looking out of them.

They arrive eventually at a much larger doorway, leading into a round room with three coiled pedestals, a snake on top of each.

Afterwards he is carried out and thrown through the RDW.

*(intriguing thought here from Mat: 'From somewhere he had a dim memory of walking halls that had not known a human foot in hundreds of years'.. but he hasn't had the Eelfinn memories yet!)

Foxes: Mat enters by the RDW in Rhuidean. Again he enters through a sheet of blinding whte light.

He is in a star-shaped chamber with 'a forest of thick columns' and the RDW. He meets a 'fox'.

He follows him through a five-sided doorway along a corridor with more doorways to each side, through each of which he sees 'his' RDW! No windows.

Eventually they reach the end of the corridor and another doorway, into another room with pedestals, and a fox on top of each.

This time when he exits, he ends up hanging from that spear in Avendesora.

ToG: They draw the triangle on the surface, and enter the resulting doorway through blinding white light. (As before.)

They are in an 'off-kilter square' room*, with hallways leading off in each direction. The opening they came through is a 'freestanding' point down triangle, made of 'twisted cords', which Mat thinks resembles the RDWs he used before.

Mat thinks to himself: 'This was not like the first place he visited, with its twisting coils and circular doorways, but nor was it like the second one, with tthe star-shaped rooms ands yellow light.'

The three pick a hallway and walk down it, and come to a window. Mat recognises the plantlife from his first RDW visit, and looks for the three spires, then realises he's in one of those spires.

They make their way through the maze, and meet a 'fox'. He says he can lead them to the 'central chaber, the Chamber of Bonds'. Thom sings him to sleep and they go on, Mat using hihs dice and luck to find the way. They come to the room where the foxes gave Mat his gifts in Rhuidean. Etc.

*(Another intriguing point: the walls are 'onyx-coloured'. Was the 'black stone hand' Min viewed a gift to Moiraine from the foxes?)

What do we get from this?

Not a lot, unfortunately.. but it does seem that entering from the ToG puts them in one of the spires, and they find their way to fox country. (Later they also find themselves in snake country, with a circular room containing the broken Tear doorway, possibly by crossing over within the spires.) Perhaps the 'three spires' are the finnworld side of the ToG; perhaps each spire is linked to its own RDW, nice and symmetrical.. so there's still a possibility for a third RDW in the Blight.

I'm going to have to come back to this tomorrow methinks.

It's 1am atm, so not too bad but I've only managed 4hrs sleep all up the last 2 nights... so all this thinking is making my head hurt :wacko:

I really wish I could remember the point I was trying to make before, but alas!

Good night all!

• 11 months later...

Archived