DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I can't believe I'm managing this level of self control....

Jblaylock

Well, I have it, and it's sitting at home, but I have not yet started reading it, because I am in the middle of another book. Now, considering the time WOT sucks out of the reader's schedule, I have grown used to reading other books at the same time as whatever WOT book I'm in at any given time. But... the fact that the next book, and Grande Finale', do not come out for quite some time, I am intentionaly putting off the reading of TOM so that there will be a lesser gap between this and the next, which will be the last. Is this a dumb idear, in any of your opinions? And why?

I HATE THIS BLOODY BOOK

I bought it the night of its release, fully aware that I will be very busy at work this week and had to prepare for an exam on Thursday.

But I still bought it and started reading immediately. I realized that if I didn't stop the next day (Wednesday) then I would be in trouble for the Thursday exam.

So I took the book with me at work with the intention of leaving it there over night, so I could study without distractions at home.

I couldn't do it. I took the book back home with me and continued reading. It took a monumental effort, the kind Aes Sedai need when performing their test for the shawl to actually stop and study. Even so, the whole night I alternated between studying and reading ToM.

Anyway, the exam came and gone, and it was bad. Still busy at work. When I get home I will continue reading it.

I hate this bloody book.

Well, I have it, and it's sitting at home, but I have not yet started reading it, because I am in the middle of another book. Now, considering the time WOT sucks out of the reader's schedule, I have grown used to reading other books at the same time as whatever WOT book I'm in at any given time. But... the fact that the next book, and Grande Finale', do not come out for quite some time, I am intentionaly putting off the reading of TOM so that there will be a lesser gap between this and the next, which will be the last. Is this a dumb idear, in any of your opinions? And why?

I'm in the same boat more or less. Even worse, after this book (which I might put aside, it only being a bunch of short stories, I can always go back later) I have another library book after that. I don't really want to put it aside though as I know I only have it for a limited period while Towers I can read at any time.

And no, I don't think you're mad. As you wait you'll look forward to it all the more. I'm not going to do what you are though, putting it off to shorten the gap with the next book! I don't have THAT much self control. I'll get to it soon.

I scheduled myself a day off on Nov. 2, told my wife to wake me up at 7 so we could go to breakfast before the Hastings opened at 9. She didn't wake me until 8 because she thought I needed the sleep. I was irked. She wasn't ready to go until 8:30. I was irritated. She didn't eat fast enough at breakfast so we didn't get to the store until 9:15. Then she wanted to go find a calendar in the store so we couldn't leave right away. I was annoyed. I had to unload 16 cases of soda I was taking to a partner restaurant and made her help. Then I made her drive home so I could start reading. Didn't put the book down for more than a minute or two until I was done at 3 a.m. the next morning and had to be up again for work at 8. Then at work all I could think about was reading the dang thing again.

I have no self-control. And WOT makes me a bad husband on release day. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Don't look to me to be a role model :darkone:

I took a vacation day the next day so I could read it all day until the book signing that night (I live in Cincinnati). Totally worth it, I just warned my girlfriend prior to the book's released that I would be ignoring her for the day and that she had fair warning. It probably didn't hurt that I made up for it the day before. It was easy when candy is the way to her heart.. .xD

Dang!

I can't imagine being able to read it all in one day. I'm not a slow reader, but I like to take my time, savor the flavor, so to speak, in each scene. Sometimes I'll let my mind wander and then re read a page. Plus, I don't have much free time in my schedule. It usualy takes me a couple of months to read through a given WOT book. Or a month and a half at least.

El Oscuro, you are not alone in not having enough free time to read at liberty.

My husband got food poisoning on Saturday morning, he was so sick I had to take care of him all weekend and even take a sick day from work myself on Monday as he was still down-for-the-count. SO I had many hours to read for three days, IN between caring for him and his four birds and our two dogs.

Now I am back at work and maybe have about 200 pages left to go?? I don't know if I will have the time to finish it before Sunday night, at this point?

And in the spoiler forum, I would like to see more discussions in the "prologue through chapter X" threads, but most people are only discussing the book in the full book spoiler threads. I have read most of the book, and I would love to discuss what I have read so far, but am out in the cold from the discussions it seems.

argghhh

• 4 weeks later...

My wife (whom I ahve managed to hook on this series as well) was sick of not having a christmas present for under the tree...

She pre-ordered the thing so it has been in the house for a month!

She has offered several times to pull it out and I have some how managed to say no...

I must be loosing my edge. I haven't even gone searching for it...

Archived