DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Gawyn Thread

Zyntras

I think that Kelvin summed it up nicely. The only good thing about him in the series is that there's not a lot of pages in the series which are wasted by having him on them.

I kind of get the impression that he was originally meant to be a main character, but then kind of forgotten about and is now getting shoehorned into the end of the story just to do something with him. There's still the plotline about him thinking Rand killed his mother, but it's so out of place with the rest of the series that it's almost like you're reading another book when he's talking about it.

Maybe he'll be moping about how Egwene doesn't appreciate him and not pay attention to where he's going and fall down a flight of stairs and break his neck. It would be about the best use of the character right now.

Yeah, he was good during the four first books. Then it all went rubbish. But I would see him at Bryne's place, not Birgit's. The leader of the White Tower forces during Tarmon Gai'Don. Or Bryne second. Well, when Bryne dies, he will lead. (Will Bryne be released of his Oath to Egwene, btw?).

A meeting with dreamwalker with Perrin, A trip with Travelling, and he has his proof that his mother is alive. Then to Caemlyn, and he see Elayne wearing the Rose Crown. Then he can die joyfully. No more than a chapter, and everything is good :)

He's having a hard time growing up. I can relate to that. But like him? No, I don't believe I can do THAT :smile:

Will Bryne be released of his Oath to Egwene, btw?

I believe his original oath to the Hall was to last only until they took the Tower back. I don't remember, did he promise Egwene anything other than obidience while he's serving the rebels?

Nevertheless, Siuan's pretty much tied to Egwene's apron, and I don't see him leaving her...

Ya, it would be kind of silly for Egwene to give command of the Tower's army to her boy toy when one of the greatest generals alive is a Warder. That sort of nepotism is fine for peace time, but with a few million Trollocs heading their way, it's best to keep the guy who knows what he's doing in command and not dump him for the guy with pretty eyes.

Birgitte did an admirable job running the Andoran armies during the revolution and sidelining her for a guy who's managed to have a few successful raids before abandoning his troops to go off chasing some tail is perhaps another move that could wait until after the Last Battle.

So really, there doesn't seem to be much of a role for Gawyn right now.

Ya, it would be kind of silly for Egwene to give command of the Tower's army to her boy toy when one of the greatest generals alive is a Warder. That sort of nepotism is fine for peace time, but with a few million Trollocs heading their way, it's best to keep the guy who knows what he's doing in command and not dump him for the guy with pretty eyes.

Birgitte did an admirable job running the Andoran armies during the revolution and sidelining her for a guy who's managed to have a few successful raids before abandoning his troops to go off chasing some tail is perhaps another move that could wait until after the Last Battle.

So really, there doesn't seem to be much of a role for Gawyn right now.

well theres still the dream about Gawyn saving Egwenes life or some such

Ya, I can see how he'd be a minor tack-on for Egwene's story, but in terms of a playing a larger role himself I just don't see what his place would be. He'll either try to kill Rand and fail, wasting everyone's valuable time along the way, or he'll drop the idea of killing Rand, making his storyline since book six a waste of everyone's valuable time. Either way, the guy's just wasting time.

With only 11,000 pages in each of the remaining books, there's not a lot of room for this kind of filler.

Ya, I can see how he'd be a minor tack-on for Egwene's story, but in terms of a playing a larger role himself I just don't see what his place would be. He'll either try to kill Rand and fail, wasting everyone's valuable time along the way, or he'll drop the idea of killing Rand, making his storyline since book six a waste of everyone's valuable time. Either way, the guy's just wasting time.

With only 11,000 pages in each of the remaining books, there's not a lot of room for this kind of filler.

Or, he might try to kill Rand and succeed. Will that constitute a waste of time? :smile:

Or, he might try to kill Rand and succeed. Will that constitute a waste of time? :smile:

And as Ages went, stories became legends, legends fading to myths. That is how it went from the Waste of Time to the Wheel of Time.

(:D)

Um, he's pretty good at swordplay? Maybe the best evar? :biggrin:

I mean, he successfully defeated 2 warders simultaneously without much trouble, one of whom is a blademaster. Even Galad had a hard time against another blademaster. Lan might be able to win, or Rand if he still had both his hands... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, he's a very flawed character. I'm still trying to figure out if I think it makes him realistic, or if he's just too flawed. In my opinion, he is either an experiment in "realism" or he is being subtly manipulated by the DO's touch, or by compulsion at some point. The motive for the DO, BA, or forsaken to waste their time with him would be a little unclear though.

I like the fact that he got his ass kicked by Mat.

You know what would be awesome, really awesome? If near the end when everyone is together again, and Gawyn wants to kill Rand, who cant fight with a sword any more... and Gawyn has the likes of Galad and Sleete backing him up... but then Mat and Aviendha tag team to protect Rand and kick all three of their asses, Aviendha killing Sleete and Mat beating the brothers AGAIN

Egwene either wants to manipulate Rand somehow or doesn't Gawyn would believe her. I think at that point most people were still in denial about the Foresaken being free. Disclaimer: I hate Egwene. My opinion is that Egwene will try to manipulate Rand and possibly Elayne with a psycopathic gawyn.

gawyn is lost, i liked him in EoTW, afterwards he gets boring and more annoying

i mean he is good with swordplay and everything, thats about it

and his obsession to see rand die, well kind make his PoVs look even more annoying even after egwene, min told him rand is innocent, of course better to believe rumours from a peddler than to believe the one he loves and min.

but hopefully he will become sensible again and then he can be less annoying.

I used to like him more than Galad, but now Galad seems like the sensible one.

That's the interesting aspect with those two, I think. Galad seemed set up to be unlikeable despite his beauty and other accomplishments and Gawyn Prince Charming in comparison, but then it shifted. And those characters needed that change or they would have been boring in my opinion, so I'm more or less happy with Gawyn as he is, but hope he'll develop to be a strong counterpart to Egwene soon.

Archived