DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 1 "Apples First"

JenniferL

It is one of the dreams were he is running from what he believes is Ba'alzamon (sp).

Anyway he walks into Tar Valon ( I think, he speaks of a big white tower in the middle of an island) and encounters a myyrdraal which speaks to him and says something akin to "we have been waiting for you"..

I don't have the books with me right now but its in the first one!

Your right, I had completely forgotten about that. Its in chapter 9 "the tellings of the wheel" (I just searched for it). I hope this scene comes to pass, minus the Myrdraal. It amazes me how much foreshadowing is present in the wheel of time. It is small deatails like that which are often forgotten which make this series so enthralling.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok here is how i see it. Rand is the strongest Taveren ever. events happen around him, yet they balance out. the good does not out way the bad. someone dies someones life is saved. the DO has placed his hand on the pattern and altered it. Rand's presence merely suspended the touch an altered to create a balance to the advanced decay, an advanced production.

it fits in with what we know of taveren, and has been remarked before that Rand is a focus for the pattern and he brings balance. i don't see anything wrong with it or extra ordinary.

This theory seems to make the most sense to me... Balance. The DO is corrupting the "weave of the wheel" and taveren are there to correct the weave. I beleive that Mat & Perrin will have some small similar effects on the pattern as well - correcting the damage that has been done by the DO's touch. (with any luck it will make Perrin an interesting character again)

Rand causes both good and bad things to happen. Hence the balance (balance of his good and bad deeds in a way). He doesn't balance others "bad" by his good. Peace.

Rand brings Balance to the Pattern. he might not have been able to affect the DO's touch before, but now after his unification i guess u can call it, it seems like he can. he has accepted his role, he is the champion of the Creator. the Dragon Reborn in full power. so it seems he can balance out the DO's touch on the pattern now, to return it to where it should be. it seems logical since when he channeled the True Power of the DO, the dark aspect of his being taveren was high lighted. the rot of food stuffs increased while he was in the city while he was Dark Rand.

it is only logical for him to be able to counter the DO's touch to the pattern now since he added to it before. he is the Creators tool and a taveren, he is the balance to the DO's touch on the pattern.

as to Perrin. he knows he has to be there for Rand to succeed. if Rand falls everyone is doomed even Faile. i don't see him betraying Rand. he is like a knight in his sense of honor and he now has a large amount of people depending on him also.

Peace. I am tired of this back and forth discussion. I just know that Mat and Perrin are Ta'veren too and they haven't grown any apples yet;)

Perrin has been removed from the main story for so long that I am beginning to wonder if he wont in fact betray Rand somehow. He is selfish in his motives in that he is willing to side with whoever he needs to in order to get what he wants. He aligns with White Cloaks in Edmonds Field, he aligns with Seanchan to save his wife. If someone truly diabolical were to affect Perrin, could he really sacrifice his wife in order to aid Rand? I don't think so and i think this makes Perrins character more interesting. But the kidnapped wife thing has been done already so i doubt anything interesting will happen.

I've actually been wondering for a long time if he would be some sort of betrayer, mainly because of his all-consuming obesession with Faile. If something were to (finally) happen to her, he might go all Annikin Skywalker - would certainly make for an interesting twist.

It would certainly be about time he did something interesting... everything after LOC has been "oh-woe-is-me, wha wha wha, faile faile faile"

I used no connection to any of Perrins thoughts to assume he is capable of betraying anyone. It is simple in that his obsession over Faile or the Two Rivers or his family might have driven him to betray Rand. Even if it was something as simple as avoiding a battle in order to protect the Two Rivers.

But it's Perrin so he'll just be sitting there hammering things while he scratches his beard.

Yeah....Just DO SOMETHING PERRIN!

I think if Rand in a bad mood can make all the grain he brought to Bandar Eban go bad in an instant; he can make some apple trees grow some apples in a good mood. Doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

"There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he one with the land."

If you guessed that then I'd guess that You guessed ... incorrectly. Rand channeled to get OFF the mountain. He didn't walk off the peak of Dragonmount. Consider.. It IS possible to breathe atop Mt. Everest, though barely. Rand was described as not being able to breathe IIRC and was a trifle chilly so he created his igloo of air and warmth.... This would infer that Dragonmount is OVER 29,035 ft. tall. People have climbed Mt. E with no oxygen assist. But they take ONE step about every 5 minutes. W/O channeling Rand would'a froze solid.

Just a little guesstimate exercise using Mt. E and 2.5 feet per step. 2.5 is a conservative assumption due to physical stress, terrain etc, Rand's 6'6" so it's maybe not too far off the mark.

29035ft. / 2.5ft. per step = 11614 steps

11614steps x 5min = 58070min

58070/60 = 967.83hrs

967.83/24 = 40.326 DAYS to stroll off the top.

Now he's gonna pick up oxygen concentration as he loses elevation so his steps would quicken, but still....

Rand channeled to get off the mountain. He was tip toeing through the tulips at the bottom, so to speak, by choice. Or else I miss my guess :wink:

Am I the only one that thinks Rand will be sealing the Bore by using the inherent thread twisting capabilities of ta'veren to redirect the pattern to completely seal it, as if it never were?

I mean, he seems to be developing conscious control over it. I think that we may be seeing this now. Perhaps he'll need to die to manipulate on such a large scale. But I kinda like the idea.

That has been on my mind for some time now, Rand, Mat, Perrin all 3 together at SG causeing the pattern to reweave the hole bored into it.

If you guessed that then I'd guess that You guessed ... incorrectly. Rand channeled to get OFF the mountain. He didn't walk off the peak of Dragonmount. Consider.. It IS possible to breathe atop Mt. Everest, though barely. Rand was described as not being able to breathe IIRC and was a trifle chilly so he created his igloo of air and warmth.... This would infer that Dragonmount is OVER 29,035 ft. tall. People have climbed Mt. E with no oxygen assist. But they take ONE step about every 5 minutes. W/O channeling Rand would'a froze solid.

Just a little guesstimate exercise using Mt. E and 2.5 feet per step. 2.5 is a conservative assumption due to physical stress, terrain etc, Rand's 6'6" so it's maybe not too far off the mark.

58070/60 = 967.83hrs

Now he's gonna pick up oxygen concentration as he loses elevation so his steps would quicken, but still....

Rand channeled to get off the mountain. He was tip toeing through the tulips at the bottom, so to speak, by choice. Or else I miss my guess :wink:

Uni Student right? :)

So Rand is going to be Captain Spew evertime he channels haha

First and foremost Chapter one is EPIC. Truly epic. Having the common mans (Bunt) perspective on the way the world is turning for the worst was simply fantastic. I really enjoyed someones post earlier about flying from new york to LA how you forget there are millions of people below you passing in the blink of an eye. An apt description of exactly what Rand has been doing since taking Callandor in TDR. He's been so objective oriented he never took the time to think of what the people need him to be.

I see some deliberation going on here about what it is that Rand is doing. I think its relatively safe to assume that he is being the "Dragon Reborn". Tied to the land. Some folks here have been saying he is using "the dragon power" "dragveren" etc. I have a similar take on things.

Lews Therrin Telemon was the first among servents. Taveren himself. But no mention was ever given to my knowledge of the wonders Rand has done in chapter 1 of towers of midnight. Rand actually exerted Nymm / Creator type powers which i believe are typical only to the Dragon Reborn.

Think about it like this. The dragons soul is destined to be the light of hope and salvation for the world. In each age a dragon emerges he saves, yet destroys the world as we know it. In AoL LTT saved the world from the dark one by sealing him in the bore with the 7 seals. Yet in his pride he doomed men to go mad. The world breaks and the third age is born.

3000 years pass and Rand is born to be the salvation from the dark one as the seals weaken and he touches the world. Will Rand break the world? I think not. He will however destroy how we have come to think of the world. Weather its the destruction of The one power or not we have yet to see.

That being said. I truly think that even though the Dragon and the Dragon Reborn are the same soul reborn over eternity, a thousand times a thousand times, "The Dragon Reborn" Is built on an entirely different scope and scale as "The Dragon". He is meant to see his past lives. Lews therrin was never meant to see who he had been before. Rand is meant to see the mistakes of other past lives. He's seen them in The Great Hunt through the botched portal stone run to Falme. He's meant to understand how to defeat or seal away the dark one for 3 ages. Therefore he's meant to have powers greater than Taveren or the pattern intself. The dragon reborn has done this several times over the course of the turning of the wheel.

Wouldn't it be swell if at the end of the series or towards the end, we hear Rand say. "I've won again Shaitan". I just think it would be an awesome shout out to book 2 and Rand hearing Baalzamon's / Ishy's voice saying "I've won again Lews Therrin" hundreds of times. Anyway just my take on things.

Cj~

Chriswot

Posted Today, 08:20 PM

First and foremost Chapter one is EPIC. Truly epic. Having the common mans (Bunt) perspective on the way the world is turning for the worst was simply fantastic. I really enjoyed someones post earlier about flying from new york to LA how you forget there are millions of people below you passing in the blink of an eye. An apt description of exactly what Rand has been doing since taking Callandor in TDR. He's been so objective oriented he never took the time to think of what the people need him to be.

I see some deliberation going on here about what it is that Rand is doing. I think its relatively safe to assume that he is being the "Dragon Reborn". Tied to the land. Some folks here have been saying he is using "the dragon power" "dragveren" etc. I have a similar take on things.

Lews Therrin Telemon was the first among servents. Taveren himself. But no mention was ever given to my knowledge of the wonders Rand has done in chapter 1 of towers of midnight. Rand actually exerted Nymm / Creator type powers which i believe are typical only to the Dragon Reborn.

Think about it like this. The dragons soul is destined to be the light of hope and salvation for the world. In each age a dragon emerges he saves, yet destroys the world as we know it. In AoL LTT saved the world from the dark one by sealing him in the bore with the 7 seals. Yet in his pride he doomed men to go mad. The world breaks and the third age is born.

3000 years pass and Rand is born to be the salvation from the dark one as the seals weaken and he touches the world. Will Rand break the world? I think not. He will however destroy how we have come to think of the world. Weather its the destruction of The one power or not we have yet to see.

That being said. I truly think that even though the Dragon and the Dragon Reborn are the same soul reborn over eternity, a thousand times a thousand times, "The Dragon Reborn" Is built on an entirely different scope and scale as "The Dragon". He is meant to see his past lives. Lews therrin was never meant to see who he had been before. Rand is meant to see the mistakes of other past lives. He's seen them in The Great Hunt through the botched portal stone run to Falme. He's meant to understand how to defeat or seal away the dark one for 3 ages. Therefore he's meant to have powers greater than Taveren or the pattern intself. The dragon reborn has done this several times over the course of the turning of the wheel.

Wouldn't it be swell if at the end of the series or towards the end, we hear Rand say. "I've won again Shaitan". I just think it would be an awesome shout out to book 2 and Rand hearing Baalzamon's / Ishy's voice saying "I've won again Lews Therrin" hundreds of times. Anyway just my take on things.

This is a very excellent post that provides much food for thought, my friends. Well done, Chriswot

58070/60 = 967.83hrs

Who Me? *chuckle* Hardly .. maybe a semester or two 35years ago :thom: .. that little exercise (in severe need of a big can o'BS Spray) is merely a function of too much time on my hands and my BLOODY SAINTS gettin their arses kicked by a buncha scrubs! :tongue:

Ah thanks mattaz. The props are appreciated. On another note does anyone know if the audio book is available upon hardback release? I've always gotten mine after reading the hardbacks. Situations arise where i may be able to listen to the books at work.... Rather than playing hookie for a couple of days to read the book, id rather listen and read when i can. lol. Any info would be hot. Thanks.

58070/60 = 967.83hrs

Who Me? *chuckle* Hardly .. maybe a semester or two 35years ago :thom: .. that little exercise (in severe need of a big can o'BS Spray) is merely a function of too much time on my hands and my BLOODY SAINTS gettin their arses kicked by a buncha scrubs! :tongue:

Aaah but the Collywobble curse doesn't apply in October - I hope your referrng to St Kilda otherwise that comment makes no sense at all lol

Just back to the channeling I didn't say he lost the ability to channel, just that he wont do it much due to the pain involved and the spewing ala the Ebou Dar bridge, or wherever it was.

Otherwise it will be like "here Egwene i can do 9 impossible things.......BLLLLAAAAAAHHHHH........all over her dress, which would be kinda funny :)

/Good/ set-up chapter. We find out quite a bit. First, Rand's not exactly Rand anymore, at least for now. That phrasing sounded like Rand still in the grips of his revelation, to a degree. We find out he's going to see Egwene (hurray!) Wonder what he's going to tell her that she's not going to like? Hrm.

I really liked the plants flowering around him. It sounds like Jordan (and now Sanderson) are really going for the whole his health is the land's, and so on. And he can shield things from the Dark One's touch now? Interesting!

I liked them bringing in that wagoneer guy from the first book. Nice touch there, I thought.

So, what do people think Egwene is going to dislike? :)

I was not surprised by this scene, though I was glad to see somebody we haven't seen since book 1. When we saw how Rand's deteriorating attitude in TGS was causing only negative ta'veren events to occur and an increase in food spoilage, I had guessed, based on what someone else said about Thom's line in the first book, "The dragon is one with the land; the land is one with the dragon," that Rand's now restored self would make the land flow with milk and honey again.

There are quite a few things Egwene would be displeased about, and quite a few wrongs she might need to own up to on behalf of the Aes Sedai. I've actually considered a conversation between Rand and Egwene in either this book or the last one. Perhaps they'll bring up all of their grievances toward each other. Maybe Egwene will discover and reveal that most of his grievances against the Aes Sedai are due to the Black Ajah, and maybe Rand will finally show Gawyn (after 6 books of his bull) that he didn't kill his mother. Remember, btw, Nicola's prophesies, which included a fight with the Seanchan and a fight with Ashaman. Maybe Rand will help defend the WT from the rogue Ashaman and their Red Ajah bonders (my guess of course).

However, are we sure he's talking about Egwene? He might also be talking about Elayne, who would be totally displeased that he's shafted her for so long. Either one would make sense in my mind.

Amazon.de has the same release date for the book and the Audiobook (2.Nov) .. so i guess you can get it at the same time ^^

This is actually about your footer. Egwene's captivity counter is actually 5 I think: Whitecloaks in TEotW, Seanchan in TGH, bandits with 3 Fades in TDR, Black 13 in TDR, and the White Tower from late CoT to TGS. Nynaeve: Bandits, Black 13, Ronde Macura and Moggy in TFoH; that's 4. Elayne: Bandits, Black 13, nightmare in LoC, Black 13 again in KoD, that's 4 also. I think that's the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your comment, have they made audiobooks or printed books in German?

Amazon.de has the same release date for the book and the Audiobook (2.Nov) .. so i guess you can get it at the same time ^^

This is actually about your footer. Egwene's captivity counter is actually 5 I think: Whitecloaks in TEotW, Seanchan in TGH, bandits with 3 Fades in TDR, Black 13 in TDR, and the White Tower from late CoT to TGS. Nynaeve: Bandits, Black 13, Ronde Macura and Moggy in TFoH; that's 4. Elayne: Bandits, Black 13, nightmare in LoC, Black 13 again in KoD, that's 4 also. I think that's the case. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your comment, have they made audiobooks or printed books in German?

i don't think its topic relevant ;p but yeah you`re right about Egi, fogot the whitecloaks o.O => Nyn+Elayne: Bandits,Tear,Mogi(compulsion [Q&A]),Macura woman (Forkroot tea); Nyn: Mogy (T'A'R); Elayne: Camlyn black 13;

i dont know about audiobooks;

i know about the printed ones; i have not actually read the german books because

1.: i like to read books in their original language

2.: they split each WoT book in several smaller books, i think the german book count for WoT is volume 34?

Archived