DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Codes 17 and 18

Luckers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we arguing that the word is "love"? It has to be either "stand" or a variation of that word, or "make" or a variation on that word. Right?

Anyway, "stand" may not seem important at first, but it is VERY IMPORTANT to the whole story, considering that Rand "stood" on his own grave (Dragonmount) according to the prophecy,

'At the end of time/when the many become one/the last storm shall gather its angry winds/to destroy a land already dying./And at its center, the blind man shall stand/upon his own grave./There he shall see again/and weep for what has been wrought.' - Essanik Cycle

It should be noted that "gather" and "storm" are also in that quote above. What other words are important in that phrase? "For What Has Been Wrought" is one of the chapter names already. Maybe "Blind" is important too?

Why are we arguing that the word is "love"? It has to be either "stand" or a variation of that word, or "make" or a variation on that word. Right?

Anyway, "stand" may not seem important at first, but it is VERY IMPORTANT to the whole story, considering that Rand "stood" on his own grave (Dragonmount) according to the prophecy,

'At the end of time/when the many become one/the last storm shall gather its angry winds/to destroy a land already dying./And at its center, the blind man shall stand/upon his own grave./There he shall see again/and weep for what has been wrought.' - Essanik Cycle

Blame it on me. I was just making an unfunny joke that the chapter would be about sex.

When I think of stand, I think of the hall of the tower and voting. So maybe something along those lines?

If the VIW is 'stand' and the three words have to match exactly, the only clue I can imagine is something like

'To stand ... a ...'

Such as "to stand near a warder', 'to stand by a soldier', 'to stand over a grave', 'to stand on top of a mountain' or something like that. But I'm outta guesses for an hour.

Actually, since chapter 17 uses the exact word "stand" it seems likely that ch 18 uses a variation of that word, as BWS indicated.

So, we're probably looking for "standing" or "stood" or "stands"

Also, we have to include "to" and "a" in the title as well (most likely).

If the VIW is 'stand' and the three words have to match exactly, the only clue I can imagine is something like

'To stand ... a ...'

Such as "to stand near a warder', 'to stand by a soldier', 'to stand over a grave', 'to stand on top of a mountain' or something like that. But I'm outta guesses for an hour.

Actually, since chapter 17 uses the exact word "stand" it seems likely that ch 18 uses a variation of that word, as BWS indicated.

So, we're probably looking for "standing" or "stood" or "stands"

Standing on a Grave, or He Stood on His Grave or something. I can't try these, because I'm locked out.

I thought it was exact?

Anyway, I think "A Call to Stand" would be a good guess for an Egwene chapter. I am out of guesses, though.

Actually, since chapter 17 uses the exact word "stand" it seems likely that ch 18 uses a variation of that word, as BWS indicated

No, both codes share the same words, and in both codes is a word that is a variant of an important word from tGS. There is no variation between the two codes.

Additionally these are not chapters 17 and 18, they are codes 17 and 18, both of which are chapter titles.

Actually, since chapter 17 uses the exact word "stand" it seems likely that ch 18 uses a variation of that word, as BWS indicated

No, both codes share the same words, and in both codes is a word that is a variant of an important word from tGS. There is no variation between the two codes.

Additionally these are not chapters 17 and 18, they are codes 17 and 18, both of which are chapter titles.

Right. Code numbers, not chapter numbers.

Still, I think the VIW is "stand" and not "make."

But wait, you're saying that all of the words from code 17 are in code 18 with one of the words (the VIW) being a variation?

So, we have to include "make" "to" "a" and a variation of "stand" all in the title? I thought only 3 of the words were the same, and one of them was a variation?

Ahh, as to the variation...I suppose I could make that more clear in the doc. He meant such as gather, gathers, gathering.

Oh, so the variant is either of Gathering or of Storm?

My interpretation of this is a combination of your thoughts.

1. I agree with Terez that the variation is similar to merely changing the tense or form of a particular word.

2. I don't think it is any form of "Gather" or "Storm" as per the clue, but changing another "Very important word" in the same way that Terez proposes.

ding ding ding ding ding

With four words, we have four possibilities :

* TO - MAKE - A

* TO - A - STAND

* TO - MAKE - STAND

* MAKE - A - STAND

That shouldn't be so difficult...

The very important word... why not "understand"? Seems rather obvious. Rand understood why he was reborn.

I tried "To understand a man". Failed.

Ok, I think I get it. The three words (some combination of "a" "to" "make" and/or "stand") are all identical between code 17 and 18. The "variation" comes from the way the word was used in TGS. There should be no "variation" in the actual words used in code 17 for code 18.

So, it shouldn't be "standing" or "stood" it should be "stand."

I guess it's entirely possible that both "stand" and "make" are in the title too.

Sheesh. I still think "stand" is the VIW.

Ok, I think I get it. The three words (some combination of "a" "to" "make" and/or "stand") are all identical between code 17 and 18. The "variation" comes from the way the word was used in TGS. There should be no "variation" in the actual words used in code 17 for code 18.

So, it shouldn't be "standing" or "stood" it should be "stand."

I guess it's entirely possible that both "stand" and "make" are in the title too.

Sheesh. I still think "stand" is the VIW.

Wow, I figured this was obvious from the 'codes 17 and 18 share three words' clue. I also think stand has to be the word. While it seems kind of an unimportant Very Important Word, I don't see how make fits. There is more destruction than creating/making in TGS.

"one of which is a VARIATION on a Very Important Word"

Given this fact we can to my mind discount that "to" and "a" are the very important word, meaning either "make" or "stand" must count as the variation of the important word so unless there is a huge quote that involves one of them I reckon looking at chapter titles gives us the clue and the only chapter title that has any relation to either stand or make is "45. The Tower Stands" So personally I think that stand must be one of the three words?? What do the rest of you think am I heading in the right direction??

Just after posting noticed that sleepinghour beat me too it, whilst I was writing my reply...

Archived