DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Codes 17 and 18

Luckers

I figure some detailed discussion on them may help.

The two codes have three words in common, one of which is a VARIATION on a Very Important Word (which is neither 'gathering' nor 'storm') in The Gathering Storm.

My thoughts are...

Aura instead of Halo (as in Halo of Blackness)

Threads instead of Veins (as in Veins of Gold. Threads of Gold).

What other important words with variations were there.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, as to the variation...I suppose I could make that more clear in the doc. He meant such as gather, gathers, gathering.

Oh, so the variant is either of Gathering or of Storm?

I thought he said it was a variation of an important word in TGS. The important word was neither 'gather' nor 'storm'.

My guess is that the important word is 'letter'. Variations of which might be 'letters', 'lettering' etc.

Ahh, as to the variation...I suppose I could make that more clear in the doc. He meant such as gather, gathers, gathering.

My interpretation of this is a combination of your thoughts.

1. I agree with Terez that the variation is similar to merely changing the tense or form of a particular word.

2. I don't think it is any form of "Gather" or "Storm" as per the clue, but changing another "Very important word" in the same way that Terez proposes.

A little off topic: is there a thread discussing the BUT? The link in the locked, pinned compilation tells me it was eaten by a Trolloc. I don't have a full theory (I don't have the extraordinary capacity that some here have) but, the encrypted text mentions Mat, dice, and swears a lot, so I am wondering if mopre about the dice being that BUT. I know it wasd a possible from Luckers thread, and just thought it curious.

My interpretation of this is a combination of your thoughts.

1. I agree with Terez that the variation is similar to merely changing the tense or form of a particular word.

2. I don't think it is any form of "Gather" or "Storm" as per the clue, but changing another "Very important word" in the same way that Terez proposes.

A little off topic: is there a thread discussing the BUT? The link in the locked, pinned compilation tells me it was eaten by a Trolloc. I don't have a full theory (I don't have the extraordinary capacity that some here have) but, the encrypted text mentions Mat, dice, and swears a lot, so I am wondering if mopre about the dice being that BUT. I know it wasd a possible from Luckers thread, and just thought it curious.

The thread itself is out there, its just the link which is broken--I'm slowly repairing those links but it is exhaustive, and the search function doesn't work with threads from DM7. I will try and find it again, but in the meantime I've created a new thread for you.

I will try and find it again, but in the meantime I've created a new thread for you.

That certainly wasn't necessary as I don't have enough to make more of a theory or much else. I really just wanted to read what else people may have thought.

Thanks though.

On the repeating words: witht he title of the book, the Tower of Ghenjei, The Black Tower and the White Tower, I really wonder if it isn't something to do with the "Tower"?

17 seems to be, "To Make a Stand."

make of it what you will...

Thank You Auntie

Well, I suppose two of the words which are equal are 'to' and 'a'. Question is whether the third one is either 'stand' or 'make'.

I could imagine clues like 'Standing next to a ...' or 'Making ... to a ...'

What I don't get is why 'make' or 'stand' should be important words in TGS. I thought that was one of the hints.

I guess stand was the important word.

Egwene's stand against Elaida, against the Seanchan, against the BA.

Rand's failure of a stand against the Borderlanders in Far Madding, against Greandal, against Cadsuane.

So I tried

'Standing next to ...', where ...='an Aes Sedai', 'an Ogier', 'a soldier', 'a dedicated', 'a tower', 'a queen'

All of them failed.

Maybe it's 'To stand by ...' or something, but I'm out of guesses.

"To Make A Stand"

None of those words could possibly be considered "IMPORTANT"

Therefore we're still missing the important word.

My guess is that the important word has something to do with the Pattern or Balefire. I feel that Balefire (and its impact on the Pattern) is a very important word in TGS.

"To Make A Stand"

None of those words could possibly be considered "IMPORTANT"

Therefore we're still missing the important word.

My guess is that the important word has something to do with the Pattern or Balefire. I feel that Balefire (and its impact on the Pattern) is a very important word in TGS.

We can't be missing the important word.

From the Great Hunt doc

The missing codes 17 and 18 have three words in common, one of which is a VARIATION on a Very Important Word

Thus both code 17 and code 18 have the variation on the very important word. The same variation, as it is one of the three shared words.

@Shumel

This is also why Standing will fail - as the word is Stand, not standing.

A case could be made that "love" is the most important word in TGS since it is what stops Rand from destroying the world. So could the code be "To Make Love"?

I had the same thought, so it could be 'To make love to a ...' queen? Aes Sedai? Wise One? Ogier? But really, it would be a bit out of character for the series to have such an explicit chapter title. Then again, I'm usually wrong.

A case could be made that "love" is the most important word in TGS since it is what stops Rand from destroying the world. So could the code be "To Make Love"?

That only has two words in common with #17.

To Make Love Standing?

That only has two words in common with #17.

To Make Love Standing?

Still only two words! Could be 'To Make Love so That There Will Not Be a War', or something...

Archived