DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Famous WoT readers?

Fains nose

Don't know any Wheel of Time fans but years ago when I discovered the Beatles, I couldn't get enough of them and read every book I could find about them.  In one of the books I have, I remember reading that John Lennon loved The Lord of the Rings and how it inspired him to try to create a film adaptation of the book starring the members of the band as the main characters.

I underlined the title of the book and later bought it to read just because John Lennon read it.  I was pretty young then and I quickly lost interest when I began to read LotR... but later finished it and finally 'got it'.  Like others I'm sure, Tolkien definitely opened my eyes and interest in fantasy and ultimately, WoT.

=)

There is no doubt in my mind that Robert Jordan was a fan of Tolkien himself.

As time goes by, we may find some answers to the above question. Start with looking for blurbs on WoT covers of other known fantasy and sci-fi writers; have not got my books with me at work but I seem to remember a couple such on my copies. (Look at your paperback copies back covers, or hardback inside front pages esp of reprints to start with.)

As time goes by, we may find some answers to the above question. Start with looking for blurbs on WoT covers of other known fantasy and sci-fi writers; have not got my books with me at work but I seem to remember a couple such on my copies. (Look at your paperback copies back covers, or hardback inside front pages esp of reprints to start with.)

tEotW has so many similarities to tLotR that it is kind of annoying.  Luckily RJ did not continue down that path, otherwise I'd be pretty disappointed.  I think RJ needed a jumping off point of sorts to kick off the series, you know?

Yeah, he explained his reasons for doing that in an interview (theoryland quotes Database, my internet isnt working very well :))

Said something along the lines of wanting to start with something familiar, so that readers can say, oh yea, cool, im comfortable with this, then expand the world and make it his own.

Not saying this for sure, but Robert Plant/Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)

They wrote a few songs with LotR references and themes in it, so, as WoT is generally compared to LotR, they might have read it too?

I can say for sure that there are several Led Zeppelin songs that have LotR references in them.  In an interview with Paige and Plant, they confirmed this and said that the book made a deep impact in not only their music but also in their personal lives but also said that, despite popular belief, Stairway to Heaven's lyrics were not inspired by the book.  

LotR references are strong in the songs, particularly those for "Ramble On" and "Battle of Evermore," Plant uses Tolkien-specific terms such as Gollum, Ringwraiths and Mordor. Other, more indirect allusions may be found elsewhere throughout their repertoir.

They wrote a few songs with LotR references and themes in it, so, as WoT is generally compared to LotR, they might have read it too?

I can say for sure that there are several Led Zeppelin songs that have LotR references in them.  In an interview with Paige and Plant, they confirmed this and said that the book made a deep impact in not only their music but also in their personal lives but also said that, despite popular belief, Stairway to Heaven's lyrics were not inspired by the book.  

LotR references are strong in the songs, particularly those for "Ramble On" and "Battle of Evermore," Plant uses Tolkien-specific terms such as Gollum, Ringwraiths and Mordor. Other, more indirect allusions may be found elsewhere throughout their repertoir.

Yep ;D

Thats the reason i put them down, with all the references and obvious impact LotR had, they might be interested in WoT

Yay Zeppelin!!

Yeah, he explained his reasons for doing that in an interview (theoryland quotes Database, my internet isnt working very well :))

Said something along the lines of wanting to start with something familiar, so that readers can say, oh yea, cool, im comfortable with this, then expand the world and make it his own.

Yay, thanks for confirming!  That definitely makes sense as to why he'd start the series like he did... to give his readers a sense of familiarity.  I will always love Tolkien and comparing Tolkien to RJ is like comparing apples to oranges (for a lack of a better analogy, haha) but I think deep down I will always prefer RJ's content and writing style over Tolkien's.  I guess I should put it more like Tolkien created the foundation for fantasy whereas RJ dominated it.

I guess I should put it more like Tolkien created the foundation for fantasy whereas RJ dominated it

Ha. Thats pretty much what it says on the cover of the Orbit editions of the WoT

With the Wheel of Time, Jordan has come to dominate the world Tolkien began to reveal.

The New York Times

I guess I should put it more like Tolkien created the foundation for fantasy whereas RJ dominated it

Ha. Thats pretty much what it says on the cover of the Orbit editions of the WoT

With the Wheel of Time, Jordan has come to dominate the world Tolkien began to reveal.

The New York Times

HAHAHA I wonder if I chose to use the word 'dominated' because it's stuck in my subconscious mind after reading it so many times in the books....  so yea, see... RJ did dominate it! =)

tEotW has so many similarities to tLotR that it is kind of annoying.  Luckily RJ did not continue down that path, otherwise I'd be pretty disappointed.  I think RJ needed a jumping off point of sorts to kick off the series, you know?

Yeah. Once RJ was done heavily drawing from Lotr, he decided to milk "Dune" clean as well by taking ..........a lot from there.

Yep ;D

Thats the reason i put them down, with all the references and obvious impact LotR had, they might be interested in WoT

Yay Zeppelin!!

Yes, Yay to Zeppelin!!  Led Zeppelin was one of the very first bands I fell in love with... and (most of) their songs still haven't gotten old and played out to me.  Led Zeppelin is just one of those 'standard' rock bands that (almost) everyone loves so me saying that I love them so much kind of like someone saying they love music, haha.  IMO, asking someone if they like music is kind of like asking one if they like to breathe.  :P

Now if only we could find LZ references in tLotR, life would be complete.  8)

Yep ;D

Yay Zeppelin!!

Yes, Yay to Zeppelin!!  Led Zeppelin was one of the very first bands I fell in love with... and (most of) their songs still haven't gotten old and played out to me.  Led Zeppelin is just one of those 'standard' rock bands that (almost) everyone loves so me saying that I love them so much kind of like someone saying they love music, haha.  IMO, asking someone if they like music is kind of like asking one if they like to breathe.  :P

I really, really, really.....really doubt this.

I really, really, really.....really doubt this.

haha, yes I agree... quite an exaggeration!

Yeah. Once RJ was done heavily drawing from Lotr, he decided to milk "Dune" clean as well by taking ..........a lot from there.

Not really.  Both books draw very heavily on the same historical and mythological sources. The Fremen and Aiel are both based off various tribes of desert nomads, the 12 tribes of Israel, the Zealots, etc. And they both draw very heavily from Campbellian archetypes. I'm sure Jordan knew that Herbert had done this before, just like he knew Tolkien had done the quest story before. That doesn't make it a ripoff.

Archived