DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Croc hunter dies :(

Demandred Valerius

Australias croc wrestling snake catching nature man steve irwin, to my shock and dismay died earlier today, victim of a stigray barb entering his chest, a sad day for those who know him and his many thouhsands of followers.

a great man for his deeds, and will be remembered fondly.

(full details)

Australia's 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin dies

Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter", was killed by a stingray barb through the chest on Monday while diving off the country's northeast coast. Witnesses and emergency officials said the freak accident happened while Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas in northern Queensland. "Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest," said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occurred.

A helicopter rushed paramedics to nearby Low Isles where Irwin was taken for treatment, but he was dead before they arrived, police said. "He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury," Edmondson said. Fellow-Australian wildlife filmmaker David Ireland said he was shocked and saddened by Irwin's death, adding that a stingray's barb could be as deadly as a rifle bayonet. "They have one or two barbs in the tails which are not only coated in toxic material but are also like a bayonet, like a bayonet on a rifle," he told Southern Cross Broadcasting radio. "If it hits any vital organs it's as deadly as a bayonet," Ireland said.

Known around the world for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with wild animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet. He became a virtual global industry generating books, interactive games and even toy action figures. GREW UP WITH REPTILES Born on Feb. 22, 1962, in the southern Australian city of Melbourne, Irwin moved to tropical Queensland where his parents ran a small reptile and fauna park. He grew up near crocodiles, trapping and removing them from populated areas and releasing them in his parent's park. He took over the park in 1991 and renamed it the "Australia Zoo".

Irwin became famous for his seemingly death-defying skill with wild animals, including crocodiles and snakes. Irwin met his U.S.-born wife Terri at the zoo and the footage of their honeymoon -- which they spent trapping crocodiles -- formed the basis of his first "Crocodile Hunter" documentary. Later shows had a worldwide audience of 200 million, or 10 times the population of Australia. Terri became Irwin's business partner and frequent on-screen collaborator. They had two children, Bindi Sue and Bob Clarence.

News of Irwin's death shocked ordinary Australians, while government and opposition lawmakers rushed to issue statements of condolence within two hours of the first reports of his death. Queensland Tourism Minister Margaret Keech told Sky Television. "It's a dreadful loss for the tourism industry and for nature conservation. "Everybody who met Steve was impressed with his energy and his enthusiasm, he was a real Aussie larrikin," she said. Irwin won a global following for his dare-devil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old son while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

The Crocodile Hunter series ended after he was criticised for the incident with his young son and also for allegedly disturbing whales, seals and penguins while filming in Antarctica. Irwin boasted that he had never been bitten by a venomous snake or seriously bitten by a crocodile, although admitted his worst injuries had been inflicted by parrots. "I don't know what it is with parrots but they always bite me," Irwin once said. "A cockatoo once tried to rip the end of my nose off. I don't know what they've got against me."

It seems ironic that it was a stingray that did it. Of all the critters to be killed by - after wrestling freaking crocodiles for how many years?!

I always thought he was a bit embaressing to watch, but - and I use this word for what may be only the fifth time in my life - crikey he was a good guy. He really cared about what he did and made it his life. I think the world is a little less interesting without him in it.

To be honest, I never really thought about him and thought his show was pretty lame. But when I heard he died, I was sort of shocked. He was brave enough to go after crocs and much more, and it's sort of odd to hear that he actually got killed. It's too bad, he will be sorely missed. I feel for his wife and the two young kids he left behind. They will be in my prayers.

Guest Karana Majin

This was another of those public figure deaths that just caught me off guard and made me very very sad. I loved his show and watched it with my daughter. He was a passionate environmentalist and conservationist. He'll be missed. Greatly.

GoodGrief said it best, the world IS a little less interesting without him in it.

Awwe man i about broke down at this news when my mom told me this morning.

Seriously for a few years i woke up and just watched animal planet for his show. He really acheived his dreams of awakening the world to the animal kingdom, as well as defending them bravely.

The world lost a good man today :cry:

He was my hero. Steve made the world a better place and its beauty is diminished with his passing. Now we're left with Jack Hanna.... it's like we're being punished. :cry:

Jeff Corwin is out there too. He decently amusing to watch.

Corny at times but not torture. And not Steve Irwin :cry:

The shock I felt was immeasurable. I know we all will not be able to watch any of the channels, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel or National Geo without it sparking a memory of him. I know that Australia has lost one of their favorite sons.

I will personally miss him as if he were a close relative.

Archived