DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ToM is done, 359,000 words, per BS twit

Razor

oops, hehehe

#

# Ladies and Gentlemen, I have begun writing the final chapter for Towers of Midnight. Expect an "It's done" post later today. about 8 hours ago via Twadget

And...it is DONE! 359,000 words, 1800 pages in manuscript form. Nobody tell Tor. They asked me to try to keep it shorter. WHOOPS.    about 5 hours ago  via Twadget 

Note that I'm mostly joking about the length. Tor does prefer books shorter than 400k, but the've always let me write as long as needed.    about 5 hours ago  via Twadget 

#

# And, just to warn you all, I WILL do my standard 10% cut on this book. So expect the final length to be around 320k or so. (TGS was 300k.) about 5 hours ago via Twadget

Either way, the first draft of Towers of Midnight is done. We are now confirmed for an on-time release late October or Early November 2010.    about 5 hours ago  via Twadget 

I would love to get my hands on the first draft so I could read it without the 10% being cut out.

No you wouldn't. Lots of people make this mistake because they're thinking content. Final edits are never content, but clutter. Stuff like...

"Pulling out the chair so she could sit down, she re-arranged her skirts and sat down."

becomes...

"Pulling out the chair, she re-arranged her skirts and sat down."

Or perhaps even just...

"She re-arranged her skirts and sat down."

Of course I doubt Brandon's will be as blunt as that, he's too good a writer to begin with, but that's the point. What he's cutting here is clutter not content, and yes, 10% is about right for that.

Trust me, it'll be a much better read after he's done.

I would love to get my hands on the first draft so I could read it without the 10% being cut out.

No you wouldn't. Lots of people make this mistake because they're thinking content. Final edits are never content, but clutter. Stuff like...

"Pulling out the chair so she could sit down, she re-arranged her skirts and sat down."

becomes...

Or perhaps even just...

Of course I doubt Brandon's will be as blunt as that, he's too good a writer to begin with, but that's the point. What he's cutting here is clutter not content, and yes, 10% is about right for that.

But but.. I want my words/money ratio to be as big as possible!

becomes...

Or perhaps even just...

But I want it now.

Great news! I'm totally psyched to finish entire series reread before October. Yippee!!!!

I hope I'm in the same boat, I am halfway through TEotW.

becomes...

Or perhaps even just...

Spoken like a true aspiring novelist.  How goes the book BTW?  ;D

Spoken like a true aspiring novelist.  How goes the book BTW? 

I'm really happy with it, thanks for asking. I'm fairly confident I'll have a final version by the time ToM comes out, which is nifty and scary.

becomes...

Or perhaps even just...

The TGS I read last summer was before he did the 10% edit. Trust me, it's better with the cuts.  All he does is trim up the descriptions and tighten the language. It's not like he chops out entire scenes. Just a few words here and there.

becomes...

Or perhaps even just...

The TGS I read last summer was before he did the 10% edit. Trust me, it's better with the cuts.  All he does is trim up the descriptions and tighten the language. It's not like he chops out entire scenes. Just a few words here and there.

You going to be given the same chance with TOM and give a non-spoiler review again?

Spoken like a true aspiring novelist.  How goes the book BTW? 

I'm really happy with it, thanks for asking. I'm fairly confident I'll have a final version by the time ToM comes out, which is nifty and scary.

I don't know a thing about your book but I already want to buy it Just cause I know how well thought out your theories are. A book from you should be great let us know whats going on with it ;D

You going to be given the same chance with TOM and give a non-spoiler review again?

I have no idea. That's part of why I'm rushing to get the WOTFAQ done as quickly as I can. Part of my difficulty last year was that I knew the answers to some questions and there's only so many articles I can make Luckers write before he gets suspicious that I know more than I'm letting on. So I'm trying to get it done, just in case.

I cannot wait to read this book!  ;D its unthinkable to have 2 WOT books in 2 years

and if you could finish the FAQ that would be cool...brandon is writing books faster than the faq is being updated :P

haha j/k *peace*

I have no idea. That's part of why I'm rushing to get the WOTFAQ done as quickly as I can. Part of my difficulty last year was that I knew the answers to some questions and there's only so many articles I can make Luckers write before he gets suspicious that I know more than I'm letting on. So I'm trying to get it done, just in case.

I picked it last time. It was just after Jason's non-spoiler review during a discussion in the Verin thread on the FAQ board and you made some comment about shelving and I went--damn, she's read the book too.

I don't know a thing about your book but I already want to buy it Just cause I know how well thought out your theories are. A book from you should be great let us know whats going on with it

Gots to find me agents and publishers and whatnot first. But yeah I'll let the board know if something does come of it.

Great news! I'm totally psyched to finish entire series reread before October. Yippee!!!!

I hope I'm in the same boat, I am halfway through TEotW.

I'm a 1/4 of the way through TGH.  I started my re-read in late May with the BWB and New Spring, followed by the series proper.  At this rate, I'll probably need until 11/2 to finish the series re-read, if not a bit more time.

I picked it last time. It was just after Jason's non-spoiler review during a discussion in the Verin thread on the FAQ board and you made some comment about shelving and I went--damn, she's read the book too.

Oh Verin! That was the worst article ever to contemplate writing. I knew I'd just have to do it all over again in a few months anyways.

I think I was the last person to write a review, because I was waiting until after Dragon*Con. When I am sleep deprived and slightly harried, like I am at cons I'm working, I am much more impulsive than usual. I was very worried that if I announced I'd read it beforehand, someone would ask me for a spoiler and I'd give it without thinking.

As it was, I insisted that my staff had to do a Verin panel and I couldn't be on it, and I wouldn't tell them why. So I'm sitting in the audience listening to all the theories. The room is completely packed, which is crazy. No one packs a room at Dragon*Con to talk about BOOKS. And towards the end, someone says "Hey Jenn! You haven't said anything yet? Do you think Verin is Black Ajah?" I stammered out something about there being lots of surprises in store, we can't predict what Jordan would write, etc.  I think they bought it.

As it was, I insisted that my staff had to do a Verin panel and I couldn't be on it, and I wouldn't tell them why. So I'm sitting in the audience listening to all the theories. The room is completely packed, which is crazy. No one packs a room at Dragon*Con to talk about BOOKS. And towards the end, someone says "Hey Jenn! You haven't said anything yet? Do you think Verin is Black Ajah?" I stammered out something about there being lots of surprises in store, we can't predict what Jordan would write, etc.  I think they bought it.

I would not have been able to just sit there and listen. I can see my self running from the room with my fingers in my ears ;D but I have said Verin was a DF for years

I'm Jennifer Liang. I'm the Chair of JordanCon, the Director of WoT programming for Dragon*Con and I do Special Projects here at DM. Last year I was running the Storm Leaders for the signings. Right now I'm updating the WoT FAQ.

I would not have been able to just sit there and listen. I can see my self running from the room with my fingers in my ears ;D but I have said Verin was a DF for years

You did pick up that she was never a DF, right ;)

Archived