DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Seanchan aren't done with the White Tower

Lambada

I reference this dream of Egwenes:

"She had dreamed of the Seanchan, too, of women in dresses with lightning bolts woven on their breasts, collaring a long line of women who wore Great Serpent rings, forcing them to call lightning against the White Tower." - TDR Chapter 25

As of the end of TGS the Seanchan still have not succeeded with making Aes Sedai into weapons.

Now they may have some Accepted, who also wear the rings whilst not being bound, but I think it is more likely to be Aes Sedai.

This naturally requires the Seanchan to have circumvented the Oaths. The applicable Oath is

"Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends or Shadowspawn, or in the last extreme of defending your own life, that of your Warder, or that of another sister."

Disucss.

Did she specify if this was one of her true dreams, or just a nightmare because she recently escaped from the Seanchan?

It is a very good question, could the Seanchan somehow circumvent the Oaths.

The only way around this, apart from having a spare binder to unbind the oaths, would be that it is the sul'dam who actually attack, not the AS themselves, they are only the conduit, however, I am not convinced of this argument myself.

Apart from that, it may very well mean that the Seanchan are commming back against the tower, although the main problem i see with that is time. Surely there is not enough time in hte last two books for the Seanchan to circumvent the oaths, and launch another attack on the Tower, especially when the whole "suldam can channel" plot has been around since tGH, which will, presumably, end the collaring of channelers.

A very good question indeed, one that I am not sure of, but theres my thoughts on the subject.

It could also refer to the Seanchan having caught more of the Kin than we realised, though honestly I've long reguarded this as the first dream not to come true. Dreams are not like foretellings or Min's viewings, they can fail.

I personally think its one of those dreams that was a possibility; if Egwene hadn't managed to gain leadership of the White Tower then something like this may have eventually happened. It just doesn't seem like there is time before the TG for the Seanchan to launch another major attack on WT, although now that they'll soon have travelling anything is possible I guess.

It could also refer to the Seanchan having caught more of the Kin than we realised, though honestly I've long reguarded this as the first dream not to come true. Dreams are not like foretellings or Min's viewings, they can fail.

The Kin don't wear Great Serpent rings. (Unless they were put out of the Tower as Accepted, but I think that would come under drawing too much attention to themselves).

Ahh, I didn't realise dreams were fallible.

Quote from: Luckers on June 28, 2010, 07:51:33 PM

The Kin don't wear Great Serpent rings. (Unless they were put out of the Tower as Accepted, but I think that would come under drawing too much attention to themselves).

They needn't physically wear them, they have the right to them, which is all thats needed for the symbolism of a dream. After all the Aes Sedai damane don't wear them either.

And yes, I was just speaking of those who earned them by passing the test for Accepted.

Egwene considered this to be a dream, rather than a Dream. She thought it was just a regular nightmare. (Like the one about Aes Sedai chasing her with switches in the WT)

She might have just been trying to tell herself that, but she didn't when she had other Dreams about bad things.

Egwene considered this to be a dream, rather than a Dream. She thought it was just a regular nightmare. (Like the one about Aes Sedai chasing her with switches in the WT)

She might have just been trying to tell herself that, but she didn't when she had other Dreams about bad things.

Even "Dreams" are failable, they're not like foretellings or Min's viewings.

But the AS in the WT were chasing her with switches.  It wasn't only the Mistress of Novices beating her.

it could be that during the mass warfare that will be tarmon gaidan egwene and her armies are away from the tower and the shadow takes it. And since Egwene will hopefully be on the front lines (so a arrow can kill her) she cant divert forces to retake it, the seanchan go and destroy the shadows army in tar valon and the tower (thus destroying the AS image and their stronghold that keeps them from the world)

Archived