A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Latest Thor Movie News

MattTaz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Interview with Chris Hemsworth

Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth was all smiles as he greeted the masses for the first time since taking hold of Thor’s mighty hammer. The actor sat with press at Comic-Con to discuss his big time introduction to American audiences.

Ironically, Hemsworth battled his own brother for the Thor role. “I was like, ‘Listen, I’m the older brother. You shut up and turn it down!’” the actor joked with press. “No, I’d auditioned and it didn’t go any further and then next I heard [Liam] was being flown over from Australia to test and I was like, ‘What?’ As excited as I was, I was secretly angry.’ But no, we’re very close.”

Hemsworth offered press an introduction to the character in Kenneth Branagh’s new take: “At the beginning of this film, he’s a brash, cocky warrior. He’s about to inherit the keys to the kingdom. And his father thinks he’s not ready. It’s the journey of him learning some humility through the film. His heart’s in the right place. I think he’s doing what he’s doing for his family and protecting the kingdom and he thinks it’s the right way to do it. It just happens to be a very aggressive way of doing it, which probably isn’t the right way. It’s about sort of tempering that sort of raw emotion he drives off of most of the time into the right direction.”

The actor says working with Hopkins, who plays Odin, was an intimidating experience at times, but also a terrific learning experience. “Working with Hopkins, every day is a blessing,” says Hemsworth. “The guy is incredibly humble and obviously talented. We were doing this one scene having a big argument, basically. It was all going along and he was doing it one way and then Ken [branagh] came up and whispered something in his ear and then, Bam! We started doing the take. It was powerful. Then he yelled cut and some people were crying and I remember sitting there thinking, ‘That was amazing and I suck.’” (Laughs)

Recent reports surfaced claiming problems on set, particularly between Hemsworth and Hopkins. But the young actor says nothing could be further from the truth. “We had a good laugh about it. Anthony rang me up and just talked about the ridiculousness of it. That article said a lot of funny things, like the amount of blue screen we were doing, which we weren’t. It talked about Anthony hating working in Santa Fe and he wasn’t in Santa Fe. It talked about him hating [branagh] and not agreeing and Anthony had said to me multiple times how Ken was one of the best directors he’s ever worked with. So yeah, you’ve gotta laugh at it.”

Just prior to our interview, Hemsworth joined his Avenger cast-mates on stage for a surprise preview of the cast behind Joss Whedon’s wildly ambitious project. “That was crazy,” says Hemsworth. “I didn’t even know that was going to happen. I didn’t know Scarlett or Robert or any of those guys were coming. Those are people I’ve admired and been inspired by for years and I’m up there standing on the stage with them going, ‘What am I doing? Do I belong here?’ It was great. I really look forward to working with those guys and learning from them.”

Just before Hemsworth finished up the interview, one loyal fan yelled out, “Chris, do we get to see Thor cross the rainbow bridge in this?” Hemsworth flashed his winning smile and responded, “We do, yeah.”

It's funny I used to watch Chris Hemsworth in his soap Home & Away - just a typical soap but never knew he had a brother Liam (until I heard he was dating Miley Cyrus - who names their kid Miley? Anyway I digress)

So then I discover Liam was in the opposing soap on another network at the same time - Neighbours.

All that said I thought Chris would suck as Thor but all the press I have seen of it, he has been absolutely terrific.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rumour has it that the real, theatrical trailer will debut with Tron:Legacy. A rumour that does sound quite likely considering that Disney has a stake in both movies, and it might be a reaction to the Green Lantern trailer debuting with Harry Potter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little gossip.

While the Ant-Man cameo in "The Avengers" talk were bogus, one bit of related casting news that does seem more solid is that Hawkeye will be putting in a cameo in the upcoming "Thor" from Marvel Studios reports The Wrap.

Jeremy Renner, who plays the character in the upcoming "The Avengers", said as much in an interview back in 2009 but quickly backtracked saying his quote was "blown out of proportion."

Now a source for the site who claims to have seen an early cut of "Thor" confirmed that Hawkeye does appear though Nick Fury does not, and didn't go into details as to whether Hawkeye is in costume. Neither Marvel Studios or Paramount Pictures have confirmed or denied the report at present.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's an early review:

Outside of occasional moments of comic relief, director Kenneth Branagh keeps the focus squarely on Thor's dramatic arc. The movie's strongest moments aren't necessarily the comic booky ones (although they are pretty cool), but rather the familial ones in Asgard. Thor's scenes with Loki and Odin crackle with an intensity and emotion sometimes lacking in the earthly scenes. These moments feel like the ones that Branagh and his leads were the most emotionally invested in, and that sincerity helps you buy into this otherwise fantastical world, one which we see far more of than the marketing has heretofore revealed.

The visual effects are largely good, especially the Asgard and Jotunheim sequences. The Destroyer was a bit underwhelming, coming across as a lesser version of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Perhaps the Destroyer sequence wouldn't have felt so anticlimactic if he were letting loose on a place that didn't seem like a fake western town set. (The sight of super-powered badasses busting up a small town -- coupled with the story of an alien hero stripped of his powers, who is in love with an Earth woman and who cries out to his heavenly father -- was more than a little reminiscent of Superman II.)

The biggest problem with the earthly storyline isn't its tone or setting, but rather the brevity of Thor's stay there. He's basically in town for the weekend and in that time he learns the error of his ways? (Oh, don't act like that's a spoiler!) Exile ain't what it used to be. That short time-frame asks a lot of the audience to buy that Thor would actually fall in love with Jane and not just be smitten with her. I can see why she'd be overwhelmed by him -- it's not every day that a girl meets the god of thunder -- but what does Thor see in her exactly? Kindness and beauty, yes, but Sif also possesses that. Maybe if Thor had been consigned to Earth for longer then his romantic longing and change of heart would have been more believable. But I suppose more time spent on Earth isn't exactly what Thor fans want, is it?

For any fanboys out there worried that the Thor film will be one in name only, rest easy. This movie is ultimately about what's at stake in Asgard. My only real misgiving with that is that we never get a real sense of Asgard as a community (we do with the small town stuff). Seriously, what do they do up there all day? They're all dressed up with nowhere to go and nothing to do except attend the occasional banquet or throne room event. The busiest people in Asgard appear to be the Bifrost guardian Heimdall (an intense Idris Elba, who has more screen time than you might expect) and the unseen cleaning staff who keep the gilded floors ultra-shiny. Must be the same company the Empire uses.

Although it would've been nice if Asgard felt a bit more "lived in," Branagh and Co. deserve credit for making these "gods" feel like real people. The rest is just very sweet eye candy, but the good stuff is the family drama and they nailed that. Thor also serves as a star-making vehicle for Hemsworth and Hiddleston, both of whom own the screen whenever they're on it. The cast's bigger names -- Hopkins, Portman, Skarsgård -- are all fine, but it's the fresher faces, including Dennings and Alexander, who fare best.

Thor may not be a game-changer for comic book movies, but it's a solidly entertaining one most noteworthy for taking what could have been utterly campy material and making it dramatic and relatable. There's action and otherworldly elements to appease the core fans and possibly even win over some skeptics, and enough humor and humanity to engage general audiences.

Also, it currently has a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes - 16 fresh and 1 rotten.

Here are some snippets from RT:

While Thor may not be a thundering triumph, it's decent enough fun to make you hope that lightning strikes twice and we get a sequel.

There are plenty of action scenes, a few little laughs and an air of genuine adventure; it doesn't take my breath away, but I can see it has an audience

Branagh succeeds in making Thor accessible, coherent and engaging. He takes something that could have potentially been silly, and crafts it into a big, grand, visually impressive slab of superhero cinema.

Kenneth Branagh's Thor may not achieve the level of epic, Shakespearean awesomeness it so dearly covets, but its failings could only be a footnote in the annals of comic-book movie history.

The sequel is confirmed.

Marvel president Kevin Feige has confirmed that sequels are already being planned for both "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger" once "The Avengers" has been released.

Feige tells D23 Magazine that after their teaming up in 'Avengers', "Thor will go off into a new adventure, and Captain America will continue to explore the modern world in another film of his own. We hope that holds true for the characters appearing in that film - Black Widow, Hawkeye, and the spy organization, S.H.I.E.L.D. - all of whom are more than worthy and capable of carrying their own films."

Feige adds that there are "a lot of other characters we're prepping and getting ready for film debuts: the world of martial arts, these great cosmic space fantasies, Doctor Strange, and the magic side of the Marvel Universe. There are many, many stories to be mined."

I watched it tonight. ^^ (before you pounce on me, it was released in Australia 2 weeks before America. mwahaha)

Was pretty awesome, had a bit of trouble focusing on some scenes, but that was only due to the bad seats we had. Loved the characters and the costumes (considering I'd never read the Thor comic before) can't wait for the Avengers movie.

trying to keep it spoilerfree...

It was very, very good. there is a nice balance between the really epic family drama in Asgard, Thors dealings with the mortals on Earth, and the nitty gritty battles.

And to break these three down...

The family drama: The chemistry between Thor and Loke is spot on. And what I realoly like is that Lokes motivations for his actions draws on the original stories, rather than the ones from the comic books, something that makes it a lot more credible. As for Oden...he is played by Anthony Hopkins, do i need to say more?biggrin.gif

Earth: What I really loved here is that they do not fall for the obvious comedy trap, with an ancient God all of a sudden finding himself in modern society. Sure, there are a few occasions where we see that Thor obviously has not paid much attention to the mortal realm, but they are few. And Thors inner journey, from the arrogant bastard that got himself kicked out of Asgard, to a true hero, is very well done. Perhaps a bit fast-paced, but we do see the important things that shapes him.

Battles: The first one is borderline amazing. The rest...Could have been better (but don't we always say that?) Overall, better than Iron Man. And I really liked that they managed to catch some poses from Thor that are typical for the comic books.

My main complaint, and this is most visible in the battle scenes, is how crappy the 3D is. I am generally not a big fan of 3D, but this was really bad.

Overall, the best of the Marvel movies.

And don't forget to stay until the credits are done. The scene is not as epic as, say seeing Thors hammer in IM2, but it gives a nice little hint of what's to come in next years Avengers (and also a hint of what will happen in Captain America).

• 1 month later...

I thuoght Thor was a good movie. The Earth scenes were a bit rushed ( I think about 30 mins to 1 hour more would have really done the Earth part some good but tha twould have made the movie too long). Other than that, the Asard-side of the story was awesome and the actors did excellent jobs. It is a good watch!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

But Brian Kirk might

With Kenneth Branagh passing on a second helping of "Thor" in favour of other projects, the search for a new director may have already come to an end.

Irish auteur Brian Kirk, best known for directing numerous episodes of the first season of HBO's hit series "Game of Thrones", is reportedly under major consideration to helm a "Thor" sequel for Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Pictures says Variety.

The choice isn't a surprise. With 'Thrones' he has demonstrated a strong ability to handle a grounded but fantastical setting populated with a large ensemble cast and a rich complex mythology.

The "Thor" sequel is expected to be on a larger scale than the first film with double the amount of Asgardian characters and the inclusion of various mythical Norse creatures. It's currently slated for a late July 2013 release.

• 1 month later...

Some sweet news!

With "Monster" director Patty Jenkins now looking likely to helm "Thor 2" for Marvel Studios, some new details have emerged on what the actual content of the Don Payne-scripted film will be via Marvel president Kevin Feige.

Feige tells EW that the upcoming sequel will "take Thor literally to other worlds. [it will] primarily be the journey of that character, of he and Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) and how the new dynamic with his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) is working out, as well as what are the broader stakes for The Nine Worlds."

The first film showed us three of the Nine Worlds: Asgard, home of Thor. Midgard, our modern Earth. Jotunheim, the frozen wasteland of the Frost Giants.

Vanaheim, home of the Asgardian sister race the Vanir; Alfheim, home of the light elves; and Nidavellir, the dark fields of the dwarves, all reside on the same planetoid as Asgard along with the hall of Valhalla where the honored dead go (but it is not considered a separate world).

Other worlds that seem more ripe for exploration in the sequel include Hel, the realm of the dead ruled over by an Asgardian goddess named Hela; Muspelheim, the fiery realm of demons ruled by Surtur; and Svartalfheim, the home of the dark elves. There's also Niffleheim, the frozen realm of the dishonored dead, but it's not considered a separate world - rather a part of Hel.

Neither Natalie Portman or Anthony Hopkins are yet confirmed to be reprising their roles.

Archived