DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Conference Realignment

HoppyQ

Is anyone else a fan of college football?  What do you think about the conference changes of colorado and Nebraska?  Will the Big12 colapse or will they go a little north and maybe grab a Boise or BYU to hold together?  I like Nebraska in the Big10 but will they add 4 more and make it a super conference?  If so who?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

All of this probably wouldnt have happened if TX hadn't got a chip on their shuolder and be such money hogs. Now we are on a road to Super-Conferences (which could pave the way for College Title Playoffs).

That could be both good and bad. Good because of the playoff, bad because if there are super conferences, the playoff format would take the winners of each conference and the small schools would never have a chance of breaking in.

• 1 month later...

I'm not a big fan of the realignment. Nebraska fits in the Big 10, I'll give them that. Also, Colorado? Who cares, go ahead and jump ship for the Pac-12.

But now, with the avalanche started it's really getting out of hand. Mizzou and Texas A&M to the SEC? WV to the Big 12? Then the ACC raiding a bunch of Big East teams. So much chaos! If anything, geographical realignment would be acceptable... but West Virginia joining the Big 12 and Mizzou in the SEC? I know it's all about making more money and marketing, blah blah... but think about the expenses to travel all that way for games each week?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'd much rather have seen Duke or North Carolina join the SEC than Mizzou. Imagine playing Kentucky, Duke, Florida, and Vanderbilt in basketball twice every year? That's be insane! Plus geographically it would make more sense than jumping up to he Mid-West.

I hadn't really considered the basketball side of it, but good point. That'd be a tough, tough schedule for the regular season. Texas A&M isn't too bad of an add geographically, but I was thinking instead of nabbing Mizzou who would most likely make another team on the West and then cause for divisional adjustments; to grab someone like Clemson to add to the East and balance everything out.

Why Duke, UNC, Georgia Tech, Florida State, or Miami didnt get the call is that South Carolina Georgia and Florida have a pact made that they will block the admission of anyone in their recruiting territories. If you are a recruit in South Carolina and you want to play close to home and amongst the elite SEC, you gotta go to South Carolina. Same thing for Florida or Georgia.

That's why the Texas A&M add was so good because it allows the SEC to tap into the Texas high school pipeline.

Missouri on the other hand is not a major recruiting market and not georgraphically attached to the Southeast. It's pure TV market share for St. Louis.

Yeah l can understand that, it's sort of monopolizing those states though. I think Texas A&M was a solid add, but l'm still sad seeing them break the tradition. I hope the Lone Star Showdown continues.

I'm getting sick of all this marketing expansion crap, l understand its purpose but l really think it's taking away from what makes college football: tradition and rivalries.

Archived