DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Black Ajah, the 3 oaths and ageless faces

USURP888

Hello, 

I am unsure if these is a thread for this but I did not find any in  my somewhat brief search.

Anyways, I am just wondering about the Black Ajah exhibiting an ageless face. When they swear to the Dark Lord, are they released from the three oaths? if they are, shouldn't they lose the ageless features of the bound Aes Sedai?

Is the ageless face feature permanent once you swear on the binding rod? I find no description of the various known BA having aged or anything so I assume none of the Aes Sedai picked up on that clue if indeed a BA loses the ageless feature once she has sworn to the Dark Lord.

It takes more than one Oath to achieve the agelessness, which we know Sammael infers when thinking about how unlikely it was that Graendal knew the Oath Rod was a binder since it was rare that people commited one great crime, much less two. RJ later stated that this is true and it does take more than One Oath.

It takes more than one Oath to achieve the agelessness, which we know Sammael infers when thinking about how unlikely it was that Graendal knew the Oath Rod was a binder since it was rare that people commited one great crime, much less two. RJ later stated that this is true and it does take more than One Oath.

Yeah it's amazing how far away from it's intended use the Aes Sedai too the Oath Rod.  It was meant to be a punishment and they use it freely.

Yeah it's amazing how far away from it's intended use the Aes Sedai too the Oath Rod.  It was meant to be a punishment and they use it freely.

Add in the fact it changes your look, its also like a scarlet letter for its intended purpose.

Isn't there also a discussion about the 3 Oaths the Black Sisters take?  Something along the lines of whether or not it is a coincidence that they take 3 oaths which ensures they maintain their Ageless look.

Since swearing on the Rod produces such an effect, a different number of Oaths would produce a different effect.  And it was speculated that the Black stumbled upon 3 without realizing the true ramifications (ie: if they only took one oath, their looks would be different and they would have "outed" themselves)

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

I am unsure if these is a thread for this but I did not find any in  my somewhat brief search.

Anyways, I am just wondering about the Black Ajah exhibiting an ageless face. When they swear to the Dark Lord, are they released from the three oaths? if they are, shouldn't they lose the ageless features of the bound Aes Sedai?

Is the ageless face feature permanent once you swear on the binding rod? I find no description of the various known BA having aged or anything so I assume none of the Aes Sedai picked up on that clue if indeed a BA loses the ageless feature once she has sworn to the Dark Lord.

The Black sisters take new oaths on another Oath Rod....I'm thinking that the Supreme Council, of the black ajah has an rod of their own. 

No, there isn't another oath rod for black sisters. Black sisters have access to the oath rod used by the white tower. This is evidenced by Galina Casban who throughout her imprisonment to the Aile makes reference to the 1 oath rod in the white tower and not knowing if another oath rod could be used to remove the strictures placed upon her by Sevanna. Thats why she sticks about rather than just returning to the tower and using the oath rod there to remove the oaths placed on her.

Three, specifically.  He said two won't do it.  Also, Sammael thought 'let alone more', not 'much less two'.  Nitpicky, I know.  Just saying.

Three, specifically.  He said two won't do it.  Also, Sammael thought 'let alone more', not 'much less two'.  Nitpicky, I know.  Just saying.

Nitpick in return, but unless I'm missing something RJ didn't say two won't do it. He said that Aes Sedai have the agelessness as a resulf of three of the Oaths and that one wouldn't do it. :)

Archived