DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ishy = Insane, Moridin = Sane?

Rand alThor

Now we all know Moridin is Ishamael in a new body. My question is why was Ishy in his original body so crazed about finding and killing Rand, while in his Moridin form he has met Rand in person in SL, yet let's him live and tells the other Forsaken not to kill him yet?

thanks

Originally Ishy was posing as Bal'zamon and wanted to take control of Rand, but once Rand got a grip on his Power, Ishy wanted him dead. But since Rand killed him in Tear, the true DO has decided to "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" and just let Rand destroy everything himself. So Moridin isn't going to impose on the DO and kill Rand against orders. Especially not now, when he's been named Nae'blis. But he does still plan on killing Rand himself at TG, and doesn't want the other Forsaken to impose.

Guest cwestervelt

Moridin isn't sane either. He just isn't as far gone as when he was Ishamael. Given enough time and True Power usage, Moridin will likely start to have the same personal identity crisis that Ishamael had. After all Ishamael wasn't just posing as the Dark One. The indications are that he actually believing he was the Dark One.

I imagine getting killed is a bit of a wake up call.

As a side note, I don't think "Lord of Chaos" specifically refers to Rand. Its more of a general concept refering to a state of general disorder througout the land. To create chaos Sammual sent the Shaido all over the place, another Forsaken killed (or at least encourage the murder of) the Empress of Seanchan which started a civil war... which is kind of ironic really if you think about it (if something in a fiction book can be considered ironic). Hawkwing sent his heir to Seanchan after which he promptly died causing a massive civil war and the destruction of his empire. His heir forged a new empire in the new land with the intention of his heirs eventually returning to reconquer his old homeland. Now the reverse has occurred. The current Empress of Seanchan sent her heir to Randland after which she promptly died causing a massive civil war and likely the destruction of the Seanchan Empire on its home continent.

Went on a big of a tangent there :oops: :lol:

moridin is also using different tactics now in the battle for rand.he talks about this in the fisher king game part where he is sayin there were three ways he could win, and that he had tried the most direct way but it had turned out to be extremly painful;i.e his death in the DR.so now he is trying more subtle ways of trying to win the battle

I actually think Moridin matches Ishamael actions in general. Ishy got a bit crazed in the heat of the moment, but in general it matches the same style and effect of Moridin.

Also, to be fair, long term use of the True Power likely resulted in some fairly interesting psycho-chemical states for Ishy that Moridin's physical brain is as yet to deal with.

actually luckers i think his actions do differ,this maybe from the DO's orders but he seems more calm and collected now than he did before,as he is now reigning in the other chosen and calling the shots much more effectively now.

but thats a good point about the physcologil effects of the true power

Guest cwestervelt

He seems more calm and collected now, but for how much longer? He is already starting to have episodes of uncontrollable rage. I'm guessing that Moridin is displaying about the sanity level, maybe a little less, than Ishmael did during the prologue to The Eye of the World.

Guest Lord Captain Valda

I think Moridin is insane as well. Maybe even more insane than Ishy was before he died. Instead of Ishy showing his insanity blatantly out in the open "I want to kill him" blah blah blah, now he must hide it and control it and try to act normal-ish. I dont believe for one instant the Moridin isnt still completely obsessed with trying to kill Rand. Nae'blis is his...and he wants to keep it. Yet another reason to kill Rand. I do believe, however, that he now is not as obsessed at killing Rand "NOW" as he was before. he knows he should be able to kill him at TG and he can stand it...kind of. Just another thought. When he was taunting the captured Forsaken he didnt look too sane to me...though he is forsaken himself...

With regards to Moridin killing Rand, I thought that Moridin was biding his time because he does not know what effect will killing Rand have on him (after the crossing of balefire incident).

Killing Rand now may mean that Moridin dies also, and thus he will have gone against the Dark One's orders and risk losing the Nae'blis. I don't think that Moridin would risk angering the DO.

Archived