DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Illyena

mhael784

Who was Lews Therin Telammon's wife reborn as?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who was Lews Therin Telammon's wife reborn as?

• Elayne
    • Min
    • Aviendha
    • Alivia
    • Nynaeve
    • Egwene
    • Cadsuane
    • Moraine
    • Faile
    • Berelain

It can't be anyone other than Elayne(and not just because of the similarities between names) ... Elayne is Golden-Haired and Light and all that mess...exactly what we were told in EOTW Prologue.

JMO!! :)

Fish

You are making the assumption that people look more or lress the same in every incarnation. A quick look at the physical descriptions of Rand and Lews Therin tells us that is not the case.

Okay, to answer you both...

Alivia is described as blue-eyed and golden haired, exactly as we know Ilyena to have been, though of course that's not the only argument. Her preternatural chanelling ability - and not just her strength, but her ability to copy weaves after seeing them only once, etc. matches what we would expect from one of the stronger and more capable channelers from the Age of Legends which Ilyena was. Then there is that rather intimate viewing that she will 'help Rand die', which could mean just about anything figuratively or literally when we begin discussing the ramifications of someone repeatedly reborn. As well as the many other viewings Min has that 'she just doesn't understand'. Not to mention her fierce yet seemingly inexplicable loyalty to Rand.

Now, there is nothing that says that a person reborn must necessarily look as they did in their previous lives, though we do have plenty of examples examples - Birgitte seems to always have that blonde braid, Gaidal Kane is always ugly, Lews Therin is always tall, etc. - more likely though, is that the subtle similarities in her description might be a deliberate clue left for us by the author. He would hardly make such a tremendous revelation like Ilyena reborn without some kind of hinting we could look back at and smack ourselves on the forehead over.

I'm not saying that Alivia IS Ilyena reborn, I'm saying that IF anyone is, it is most definitely her. RJ wouldn't make it any one of the harem without making it all of them, and we know that's not possible. Personally, I always leaned towards the three women all collectively being Ilyena reborn as I felt it would explain a lot (even Lanfear recognizes the similarities in Elayne and Ilyena), but from discussions I've seen on this board, RJ has flatly denied that souls could be 'split' in such a fashion.

Where was it suggested that she lived a long time?

Lews dumped Lanfear pre-bore. 'The collapse' lasts 100 — 110 years, and then the War of the Shadow begins. We are told that Lews and Ilyena marry 50 years before the start of the WoS, which itself lasts around 15 years by my estimation from the description in the BWB.

So if we assume that she was at least 20 when they married, that puts her at around 85 when killed, and as I said, she is still described as being golden-haired in tEotW's prologue.

It's not a certainty – people did generally live longer in the AoL, but it's certainly suggestive of age-slowing.

Now, there is nothing that says that a person reborn must necessarily look as they did in their previous lives, though we do have plenty of examples examples - Birgitte seems to always have that blonde braid, Gaidal Kane is always ugly, Lews Therin is always tall, etc.

Hang on – do we know for sure that being reborn is the same process as those who are bound to the wheel and chill out in T'A'R in the meantime?

Maj...not neccesarily.

I think you're thinking of Fraternal Twins (commonly referred to as Identical Twins).

;)

Fish

As a fraternal twin (me and my sister), I have to disagree sir.

Fraternal twins are not identical.

From Wiki:

Twins can either be monozygotic (MZ, colloquially "identical") or dizygotic (DZ, colloquially "fraternal" or "non-identical").

:P

I have not seen anybody insisting that she could channel.

And the books do not explicitly tell whether or not she could.

I wasn't insisting either, but I do think that it is certainly suggested by her long lifespan + youthful appearance.

Voted Rand's 3 lovers; because they would be the most probable if Ilyena is reborn, especially if Ilyena is like linked with Lews Therin (like Birgitte and Gaidal Cain).

Not sure if Ilyena could channel.

The books do not tell what her age was.

Her and Lews Therin's wedding was probably no earlier than their teen years; though it was more likely later.  Guide tells that their marriage was 50 years before the War of Power.  Eye of World tells that the sealing of the Bore was 10 years after the start of the war.  Lews Therin I take killed her within same year as getting insane.

Thus Ilyena died at a minimum of 73-74 years.

The Age of Legends probably had technology and/or treatments that could help non-channelers appear young.  There might have been a chance that Ilyena used those.

Though Lews Therin's comment about Ilyena's questioning could indicate that she knew Compulsion and/or Semirhage's technique.  Yet it could also indicate that she used a number of techniques (not necessarily channeling ones) to get people to answer.

Archived