DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Calandor, LLT, the Sealing - answered?

NetSlider

Ok, I finally found my WoT game and something really caught my eye at the opening cut scene of the game. It shows the Dragon sealing the DO and in his hands in the swords that shines like a sun. So, I know RJ closely monitored any side kicks of the series and it would be a safe assumption to make that he defensively saw that cut scene before the release. Does that mean that LTT actually used Calandor at the sealing? And if yes, is the answer to sealing the DO prison is not the amount of power but the correct mix of powers (male and female)? We know that LTT did not have any women with him. And at the sealing not only saidin was tainted but also the seals and the prison were not made all the way properly. So, is this clue confirms that the Calandor is the answer to the DO prison being sealed correctly?

Any thoughts? (Or am I just reading too much into this?)

I would say yes.

But as to how the female AS got it back and into the Hall of Servants so they could spirit it away, I don't know.

If he had it there the first time and it didn't work, the answer could be no. But the addition of female channelers could make it a yes.

We know of the need of the circle in order to buffer the male channeler from...??? madness???....not anymore. So I guess from losing control? Or maybe from TP. Madness is the taint from TP. Maybe Calandor is made in the way that it buffers the TP from OP. Btw, was the Calandor used in the making of the Eye of the World? It would definitely help to shed more light on it if it was.

The Taint was the counter-stroke of the sealing, so it did not occur before the sealing.

I doubt Callandor would have had its flaw if it was made before the sealing (assuming Cadsuane was correct).

Not sure about the Seals being tainted.

Edit:: Book-based games tend to differ from the books to some degree.

Had not played (nor watched) Wheel of Time game, but I imagine that it is not an exception.

I'm not saying seals were tainted, but there is definitely something wrong with them if they are breaking (shouldn't cuandiar(sp) be indestructible?) the prison (with seals being center points) was not made perfect as the DO breaks through it without anyone's help (like Lanfear's in AoL) which is a given. yet if calandor was used at the sealing (according to the game opening) and it is also central to the 3rd age prophecies, does that mean that the calandor was simply not used properly (or to its full potential). despite the taint on the saidin (which might or might not have anything to do with calandor) we know of couple flaws that calandor has (actually, the one that comes to mind is that madness intensified by using it before saidin cleansing) and the other one the inability of the wielder to use is safely without the presence of 2 females. in anyway, the question of when calandor was made might be answered (if believe the game) and it is BEFORE the sealing took place.

now, this next thing is a little bit of subject, but might be relevant. we dont really know when AS of the AoL became aware of the destructive power of the TP. what we do know at first they thought it might be a wonderful thing. so, if calandor was made before the sealing, and after the TP was discovered (an assumption, but still very plausible) does it not also make sense to see some objects of power created for the TP use. Or maybe combining TP with saidin and saidar (we know that in AoL greatest feats were done with both halves). i understand that this is going out there, but in the light of calandor's importance and IF IT WAS CREATED BEFORE SEALING, and the fact it magnified madness before the cleansing took place, is it reasonable to suggest that calandor has something to do with TP as well. Maybe three becoming one means saidin, saidar, and TP?

We know of the need of the circle in order to buffer the male channeler from...??? madness???....not anymore.

No, it allows the channeler to draw too much saidin which will of course, kill him. The madness was just a result from the taint.

Didn't Cady or someone else said at one point something about calandor use making man go mad faster? well, if i'm confusing something than the questions are still pretty interesting, imo.

So, is this clue confirms that the Calandor is the answer to the DO prison being sealed correctly?

Perhaps I am misinterpreting, but I feel as though that shows that it Callandor is not the answer to sealing the DO away. LTT thought it was, and he failed.

Or it could be, as already said, that LTT was simply misusing it, and that's why he failed.

The Taint was the counter-stroke of the sealing, so it did not occur before the sealing.

I doubt Callandor would have had its flaw if it was made before the sealing (assuming Cadsuane was correct).

You don't know about a flaw until it occurs.

It could have been there before.

Then the taint was just thrown into it. :)

We know of the need of the circle in order to buffer the male channeler from...??? madness???....not anymore.

No, it allows the channeler to draw too much saidin which will of course, kill him. The madness was just a result from the taint.

Didn't Cady or someone else said at one point something about calandor use making man go mad faster? well, if i'm confusing something than the questions are still pretty interesting, imo.

Well it's difficult to see how exactly she could know something like that, even if callandor was flawed in that way, as callandor has been untouchable for the past 3000 years. As far as I can see, the only way it would make the channeler go mad faster is simply due to the large amount of saidin, and therefore taint, passing through said channeler.

You don't know about a flaw until it occurs.

It could have been there before.

Then the taint was just thrown into it. :)

Callandor magnifies the Taint, if Cadsuane was right.  The magnifying of the Taint I think could only be if Callandor was made while the Taint existed.  That sort of thing I think could not have been 'thrown in'.

It seems to me that Lews Therin and his Hundred Companions did not need any angreal or sa'angreal to put the seals in place.  Their combined strength I think was enough to place the seals without further aid.

Also, Rand would likely have had the memory/memories if Lews Therin used Callandor.

Also, didn't Lews have the Ring?

Ring of Tamyrlin?

Not sure whether it magnifies the One Power or not.

Lews Therin might have left it at his home or at his work if it does not.  Or might have forgotten it if it does.

Edit:: Or it might have been taken from him before the event.

If Callandor was the next physical seal over the Bore then if Rand uses it to reseal the Bore he is just building upon an allready weak layering. For the battle between Dragon and Dark One to happen again then the seal must be completely remade as it was at the beggining of the Age of Legends.

If Callandor was the next physical seal over the Bore then if Rand uses it to reseal the Bore he is just building upon an allready weak layering. For the battle between Dragon and Dark One to happen again then the seal must be completely remade as it was at the beggining of the Age of Legends.

And what Im saying is, when Rand remakes the prison, what if he connects the prison to Callandor instead of seven cuindellar discs? Its flaw amplified the Taint, which came from the Dark One. So in other words more of the Dark Ones touch was exposed to its wielder... enabling the Dark One to fight Rand while he seals the prison...

I think the entire series since the third book (plus spoilers from The Gathering Storm) implies that Calandor will play a big part in the last battle, if not the actual re-sealing.

But Rand's general attitude toward Calandor is a little puzzling to me. He has this disdain for it because he has to link with two female channelers to use it, but he allowed himself to be bonded by two female channelers (plus another one he didn't allow). It seems like they would be logical candidates for his Calandor circle, if he still has that many trust issues with Aes Saedi.

However, I'm guessing that Alivia will be one of the women in Rand's circle. I think that's the meaning of Min's viewing.

Nynaeve and Moiraine (assuming the latter pulls a Gandalf in one of the next books) are also strong contenders.

I think there's also an outside chance of Cadsuane or Egwene, but I would think they might have more pressing leadership duties during the last battle.

Archived