DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bass Player for the Band's Band - It's A Knockout (Winner: Geddy Lee)

Corki

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 1, Tie 8

Troy Sanders

An excellent bassist, is a master of advanced bass techniques like bass sweeping(which is a lot harder to do on bass than guitar).

Oblivion

vs.

Mani

Reached fame with Madchester legends Stone Roses, later joined Primal Scream. Has a unique blend of rock style with a distinct dance/dub groove. And, he is a true Manc.

Voting ends Thursday 26th November 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Sorry about the lengthy delay. I was out both Friday and Saturday evening, and have been busy revising for my forthcoming exams (and playing Heroes of Gaia on Kongregate).

Anyway, my vote goes to Mani.

As a result, Mani wins 5-3 and moves into the second round.

I am now going to put all 4 second round ties up to speed the process up. Each tie will count as one vote (so if you vote in all 4, you get 4 votes for activity via roll call).

Round 2, Tie 1

Victor Wooten

I just want this guy to be on bass. He plays with Bela Fleck and is an amazing instrumentalist. He does wonderful, wonderful things with the bass guitar. And he's pretty. We need pretty people in the band's band so that I can put posters of them up in my quarters. And maybe swoon a little.

vs.

Mani

Reached fame with Madchester legends Stone Roses, later joined Primal Scream. Has a unique blend of rock style with a distinct dance/dub groove. And, he is a true Manc.

Voting ends Tuesday 1st December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Round 2, Tie 2

Geddy Lee

Rush, that's all I need to say... He is an award winning musician, inspiring many players (several in this contest) and being influential in the rock and heavy metal genres.

vs.

Simon Gallup

Simon Gallup is the bassist of the post-punk band The Cure. He joined the band in 1979. Despite a few hiatuses, he is the second longest serving member of the group.

Round 2, Tie 3

Sting

A multi-award winning performer, with an Oscar nomination to his name as well! He has had a sparkling career as both a solo artist and as part of Police.

vs.

Flea (Michael Peter Balzary)

His work with the Red Hot Chili Peppers incorporates several musical styles, ranging from aggressive slap bass to more subdued and melodic techniques. Aside from the RHCP, he has collaborated with many artists, including Jane's Addiction, Thom Yorke, The Mars Volta and Alanis Morissette. Drawing influences from funk music and punk rock, Flea centers his bass playing on simplicity and minimalism while viewing complexity as a device that should be used in moderation.

Round 2, Tie 4

John Entwistle

John Entwistle was the bass player for The Who, who died of a heart attack in 2002. His approach used pentatonic (five pitches per octave) lead lines, and a then-unusual trebly sound created by roundwound RotoSound steel bass strings. He had a collection of over 200 instruments at the time of his death.

vs.

Steve Harris

Bass player and main songwriter for Iron Maiden. He is also the only member to appear in the group during its while duration. He is most known for his "galloping" bass lines.

Time to announce the results from the second round...

In the first tie, Wooten storms to a 6-1 win over Mani.

The second tie saw another 6-1 win - this time, in the favour of Geddy Lee.

Things were a tiny bit closer in the third tie as Sting prevailed by 5 votes to 2.

And Steve Harris beat John Entwistle by 4 votes to 3 in the final tie of the second round.

The two semi-finals shall be up shortly.

EDIT: ORG points for November for this thread done up to here. All 7 Banders who have voted qualify for ORG points. If anyone votes 4 times after this who hasn't done so already, they will get their points in December. Corki

Semi-Final, Tie 1

Victor Wooten

I just want this guy to be on bass. He plays with Bela Fleck and is an amazing instrumentalist. He does wonderful, wonderful things with the bass guitar. And he's pretty. We need pretty people in the band's band so that I can put posters of them up in my quarters. And maybe swoon a little.

vs.

Steve Harris

Bass player and main songwriter for Iron Maiden. He is also the only member to appear in the group during its while duration. He is most known for his "galloping" bass lines.

Voting ends Wednesday 2nd December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Semi-final, Tie 2

Sting

A multi-award winning performer, with an Oscar nomination to his name as well! He has had a sparkling career as both a solo artist and as part of Police.

vs.

Geddy Lee

Rush, that's all I need to say... He is an award winning musician, inspiring many players (several in this contest) and being influential in the rock and heavy metal genres.

Voting ends Wednesday 2nd December 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Archived