DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

Dida darling, the detail has to fit ALL of the criteria, not just one. In any case, they're disqualified for not having been mentioned in books since.

Also, Aludra changed the name to 'strikers'. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dida darling, the detail has to fit ALL of the criteria, not just one. In any case, they're disqualified for not having been mentioned in books since.

Also, Aludra changed the name to 'strikers'. 

That's backwards, oh "Mistress of Quotations".  You might want to double check one's quotations first.... Strikers was the original name, and Firesticks was Aludra's re-branded name for the new matches. 

Source: The Fires of Heaven book, Chapter 33 “A Question of Crimson” – Nynaeve pov with Aludra, Cerandin, Thom, Valan Luca at the Circus

“That one,” Aludra said, “she uses the hands and the feet with remarkable ability, no? Do not glare at me so, Nana,” she added, dusting her hands. “I am not your enemy. Here. You must try these new firesticks.”

Nynaeve took the wooden box from the dark-haired woman gingerly. It was a cube she could have held easily with one hand, but she used both. “I thought you called them strikers.”

“Maybe yes, maybe no. Firesticks, it says what they are much better than strikers, yes? I have smoothed the little holes that hold the sticks so they can no longer ignite on the wood. A good idea, no? And the heads, they are a new formulation. You will try them and tell me what you think?”

“Yes, of course. Thank you.”

Nynaeve hurried on before the woman could press another box on her. She held the thing as if it might explode, which she was not certain it would not. Aludra had everyone trying out her strikers, or firesticks, or whatever she would decide to call them next. They certainly would light a fire or a lamp. They could also burst into flame if the blue-gray heads rubbed against each other or anything else rough. For herself, she would stick with flint and steel, or a coal kept properly banked in a box of sand. Much safer.

Neither Brandon nor Robert Jordan ever confirmed that Noal Charin will BE the third person to go to ToG.  That is an assumption there, on your part.

If your actually did a Keyword search on the "Firesticks" on Dragonmount Forum, you would see that very few individuals have ever mention them as a topic.  Nor has anyone ever mentioned this stash of hidden Firesticks, placed by Elayne and Nynaeve in what is now Valan Luca's Tinker Wagon.  Those are facts, Bronnt.  Deal with it. ;)

Aludra's Firesticks hidden within Valan Luca's Tinker Wagon, have not been previously discussed by anyone one else at Dragonmount.   :P

It's also a fact that Noal, in KoD, volunteered to be the third party, and was apparently accepted.  The reasons that you're using for us to doubt him are that some third party (who should be nowhere near Caemlyn at the moment) to enter are that the might be the reborn soul of someone dead whose only connection is that he shares a name, and that he previously helped Nynaeve and Elayne at some point in the past.

It's also a fact that firesticks make their first appearance in tDR, which seems to indicate that they aren't the BUT.  It's too early.

I don't see any reason ruling out the Firesticks left by Elayne and Nynaeve and the connection with Valan Luca to Moiraine's rescue. What if they run back into Luca back at Four Kings on the way to the Tower? The use of Firesticks in Moiraine's rescue has already been pretty much settled among WOT circles as a pretty obvious way to bring fire into the Tower -- and it would fit well within RJ's MO to have dropped a subtle hint connecting Luca with lots of firesticks -- and, through that, to Moiraine's rescue. I also expected Noal to look a lot older than the unidentified man in purple pants in the ToM "spoiler" cover.

While I don't currently have a copy of FoH with me, I read the book at least 20 times from 1995-2000 and never, ever thought twice about Elayne and Nynaeve hiding the firesticks. Now that I think about it, if they were really so volatile, that was a really stupid thing for them to do.

BTW, Moridin was first identified in aCoS, but IIRC he was an unseen watcher in LoC.

BTW, Moridin was first identified in aCoS, but IIRC he was an unseen watcher in LoC.

Nah, we first meet the Watcher in [aCoS; 20, Patterns within Patterns]

My bad. I need to get myself another set of books 2-8. Memory's starting to fade.

Im starting to think it might be something to do with Ishamaels death and reincarnation. Was it in Lord of Chaos that Moridin was introduced?

What about it do you think it is? Maybe Moridin isn't Ishy? Or where the body came from? Hey what is the description of Moridin by the way?

Moridin is as tall as Rand I think, with dark hair and blue eyes. You know when you get a feeling that clues have been dangled in front of your face? Well Ive always had that feeling about Moridin since he came back. And Ive had the same feeling about Taim. Aaaaand the same thing about Shaidar. I think the three are connected somehow, or that Moridin is at ;easy connected to Taim and Shaidar somehow. Im starting to wonder exactly what Shaidar is. I might start a thread about it.

Way to nitpick something no one cares about and ignore the question that's actually relevant.

If nobody thought it was relevent, the person who said it... wouldnt have said it.

wat?  The point of me bringing up the name change was that his search on 'firesticks' wouldn't bring up every time they were discussed.  I said she changed the name to strikers, but it was the other way around.  That fact isn't relevant to anything he's talking about.

Way to nitpick something no one cares about and ignore the question that's actually relevant.

If nobody thought it was relevent, the person who said it... wouldnt have said it.

wat?  The point of me bringing up the name change was that his search on 'firesticks' wouldn't bring up every time they were discussed.  I said she changed the name to strikers, but it was the other way around.  That fact isn't relevant to anything he's talking about.

You provided false information and someone corrected you.  It isn't nitpicking, it's clearing up a false statement.

What I don't understand is why so many people are having a difficult time admitting that it would be a good fit for Valan Luca to accompany Mat to the TOG.  Maybe he isn't the rebirth of Luca, but there are many parallels there, which can't have been accidental.  And when you mention that he is nowhere near Caemlyn, you're failing to realize that Caemlyn and Lugard (Luca's destination) are about equidistant from the TOG. 

Plus, it makes sense that if something Dark is happening in Murandy, Valan Luca could discover it or get put on the run again from some batch of trouble, that would take him north into Andor where he could meet up with Mat again. 

Yes, I know there isn't proof here.  I just think the best character development for Noal at this point is some self-realization and a clean death.  Possibly in a DF attack on the way to the tower.

Ok, I'll try to be as nice as possible, but here it comes. Looking in from the outside on this thread and reading that "strikers" or "firesticks" or "fishsticks" (Kanye is GAY!) is BcUT, i have to say that it simply looks and sounds crazy. Really?! "Srikers" is the BcUT?! I think there might be too much reading into things going on in here (and i know what I'm talking about as I am ultimate "reading into things" guy).

Let me put it this way, IF "strikers" are BcUT than I will have to reconsider not only my love for the books but probably the reasons for living. IT'S INSANE!

Ok, I'll try to be as nice as possible, but here it comes. Looking in from the outside on this thread and reading that "strikers" or "firesticks" or "fishsticks" (Kanye is GAY!) is BcUT, i have to say that it simply looks and sounds crazy. Really?! "Srikers" is the BcUT?! I think there might be too much reading into things going on in here (and i know what I'm talking about as I am ultimate "reading into things" guy).

Let me put it this way, IF "strikers" are BcUT than I will have to reconsider not only my love for the books but probably the reasons for living. IT'S INSANE!

You said you like fishsticks, but is sounded like you said fish d-, anyway.....

I completely agree that it would be a horrible BUT. I was just blindly following the "Luca is the Third Man" theory, which I will continue until TOM releases and proves me wrong.  :P

Ah bags, or fishsticks if you prefer. Surely Mat is the fire juggler here? He is effectively Aludra's patron at this stage, encouraging the creation of all kinds of exploding murderous goodness.

I think ye are all spendin waaay too much time on the BUT, and it's meltin ye're heads a wee bit. Go way and have a sleep, ToM will be here in no time and we'll all prob be goin "The wha???!"

Ah bags, or fishsticks if you prefer. Surely Mat is the fire juggler here? He is effectively Aludra's patron at this stage, encouraging the creation of all kinds of exploding murderous goodness.

AND, he can juggle.  Quite well, actually.

I think ye are all spendin waaay too much time on the BUT' date=' and it's meltin ye're heads a wee bit. Go way and have a sleep, ToM will be here in no time and we'll all prob be goin "The wha???!"[/quote']

I agree that the BUT is melting people's brains.  I love theorizing more than most people, but I prefer to approach it from different angles usually, lol.

AND, he can juggle.  Quite well, actually.

Until I see something proving me otherwise, I'll continue to assume that the fire juggler is Owayn.  When Min sees someone next to Thom in a vision, juggling fire, she's already met Mat.  She could have just said "Mat, juggling fire, but it's above Thom."  It certainly doesn't make any sense for it to be Luca or Noal, neither of whom have any proficiency for it.

I know that RJ has said all the visions Min sees are about the future, but given that this is a dynamic which has an effect on the future, I think it plays.  Lan and the seven ruined towers, for example, doesn't mean he's going to revive Malkier in his lifetime, but it could simply mean that he'll visit the 7 ruined towers.  Which he did, in EotW, and will presumably see again after leading his army through Tarwin's Gap.

That's a completely different subject though.  I simply don't think the fire-juggling is necessarily connected to the ToG, like so many others do.

Min may not have seen the face of the juggler in her vision.

Perhaps somebody standing next to Thom, seen from behind, juggling fire.

Perhaps somebody whose face is obscured by a wide-brimmed hat. 

Or a lone figure, dark-haired, seen from the back.

Until I see something proving me otherwise, I'll continue to assume that the fire juggler is Owayn.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the future, since Owyn died before the series began.  Also, Min doesn't have viewings about things that aren't important, so she wouldn't have a viewing about Lan just visiting the ruined towers. 

Until I see something proving me otherwise, I'll continue to assume that the fire juggler is Owayn.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the future, since Owyn died before the series began.  Also, Min doesn't have viewings about things that aren't important, so she wouldn't have a viewing about Lan just visiting the ruined towers. 

I beg to differ.  She sees plenty of things that are completely mundane, like a groom stealing things, or a random couple getting married.  Or that Melaine is going to have twin daughters.  Or that Darlin will die an old man in bed.  I don't consider any of those to be extremely important.

Again, this is off-topic.  The main points here are 1) I don't thing the BUT has anything to do with firestricks/strikers, and 2) I don't think the visit to ToG has anything to do with the man juggling fire above Thom.

Archived