DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

can gholam's be killed by balefire?

Liam_1993

The problem with a gholam is the whole 'knowing you're about to die' part. 

Gholam jumps around the corner at you.  Instinct is to wrap it in air.  He plows right through and rips your throat out, maybe before you even realize what he is.

Where do you get time to use your balefire?

I highly doubt that the gholam were well known even during the war of power.  Only a half dozen were ever made, so they weren't exactly a commonly faced foe.  Most of the witnesses probably ended up dead.

Silver is not used in weapons often, seeing that it is way more expensive and malleable than steel, so in theory the gholam could have not come in contact with silver before, but I don't thinkthats the answer. I second the magnet theory, that Mats "shield" (foxhead) negates the Gholams shield. But that wouldn't explain the burningsensation. Maybe since the gholams was power wrought mats foxhead gets freakishly cold when it touches the gholam. Cuz when things are mega cold they can feel like burning.

After it touches the gholam Mat notes that the medallion is cool, not the cool of when its channeled at, but the cool of silver. Though I'd agree with the concept it's the medallions effect that hurts the gholam. The burn is just a side effect? Think holy water on vampires in the movies.

Gholam jumps around the corner at you.  Instinct is to wrap it in air.  He plows right through and rips your throat out, maybe before you even realize what he is.

I highly doubt that the gholam were well known even during the war of power.  Only a half dozen were ever made, so they weren't exactly a commonly faced foe.  Most of the witnesses probably ended up dead.

they certainly were not effective enough to escape ltt's knowledge.  so we know for sure there were survivors of gholam attacks. and at least some survivors must have used balefire in various amounts.

they certainly were not effective enough to escape ltt's knowledge.  so we know for sure there were survivors of gholam attacks. and at least some survivors must have used balefire in various amounts.

Not neccesarily, they could have ran and told someone, or fended it off with a sword or something and ran.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived