DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Way of the Leaf and the themes of peace and violence

Ituralde

One of the aspects of the Wheel of Time series that I am most fascinated by is its exploration of the theme of peace and violence. Overall Jordan developed an vary violent world. The good side as well as the forsaken and darkfriends are killers. Rand has personally killed untold numbers of people and shadowspawn with Callandor, Mat, Egwene, and Avienda, and have all slain dozens of people. but at the same time Jordan has the Tinkers following the Way of the Leaf - peace no matter the cost. Because of my Mennonite background with its doctrine of non-resistance (the concept that all human life is sacred and its destruction never excusable)which possesses strong parallels to the Way of the Leaf I am vary curious about what Jordans conclusion in AMOL is going to be. Do you think Perrin will become a convert to the Tinker belief?

I don't think he'll become a Tinker at all.  Faile wouldn't allow it, her husband needs to be a big, strong, trolloc-killing-machine and there will always be trollocs. 

The Way of the Leaf is in the series because Robert Jordan built the WoT around the beliefs found in India.  One of these beliefs was Ahimsa which allows no hurtful actions, mental or physical, to yourself, others, and much of the world around you.

I wouldn’t say Jordan’s world is any more violent than our own. Both worlds are capable of extraordinary kindness and cruelty. The means to the ends are just different. So than the question is… does that make our world very violent?

Back to the point, I believe the book will end with a peaceful or somewhat neutral time. After all, the book already has a history of peaceful times, violent times, and times that fall between the two.

what about the song the Tinkers are trying to find...so u think they will find it after the Last Battle or before it and how will they come to find it?

That assumes that a Song that could bring back the Age of Legends exists and that they will find that Song.  Personally, I think the Song is more metaphorical, and the idea evolved from the growing song we see in TSR merged with the Way of the Leaf and the desire for everything to be as perfect as it was in the AOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Perrin's current view seems to be only use violence in defense of life (his own, family's, friend's, etc).

It seems doubtful that he would change that view.

Yes. Although he appears to have gone part of the Way and followed the Aiel's compromise with violence. Perrin considers his axe a battle weapon, meant solely for killing with no other redeeming purpose just like how the Aiel feel about swords. He takes up the hammer instead because he can use it to create as well as destroy.

I don't think he'll become a Tinker at all.  Faile wouldn't allow it, her husband needs to be a big, strong, trolloc-killing-machine and there will always be trollocs. 

The Way of the Leaf is in the series because Robert Jordan built the WoT around the beliefs found in India.  One of these beliefs was Ahimsa which allows no hurtful actions, mental or physical, to yourself, others, and much of the world around you.

Actually, the Tinkers are based mainly on the Jain culture in India. Ahimsa means 'non-violence' but really is more specifically used to refer to Gandhi's method of passive resistance against the British. Although, I've heard it said that the cultures in Randland were based as follows:

Andor + two Rivers = British

Cairhein = French

Tear = Spanish

Arad Doman + Sea Folk = Indians

Aiel = Sparta (lol) idk...

Illian = Portugal

Seanchan = Texas

Saladea = China

I can't remember the rest.

Although, I've heard it said that the cultures in Randland were based as follows:

Andor + two Rivers = British

Cairhein = French

Tear = Spanish

Arad Doman + Sea Folk = Indians

Aiel = Sparta (lol) idk...

Illian = Portugal

Seanchan = Texas

Saladea = China

I can't remember the rest.

I think that's the accents, rather than the cultures - the Seanchan borrow cultural elements from the Far East, but speak with Texan accents. Most of the cultures are sort of a mish mash of various elements, real and imagined, run through the blender of his mind. So, no one culture to each of his countries.

This might be what you were remembering: http://www.siliconcerebrate.com/faqs/wotfaq/3_sources/3.14_countries.html

Most of the cultures are sort of a mish mash of various elements, real and imagined, run through the blender of his mind. So, no one culture to each of his countries.

This. 

In addition, every real world country has had arguably different, distinct cultures throughout its history.

Many of the WOT cultures are mostly based on a particular real world culture, but in most cases there is not a direct or clear connection.  Sometimes that foundation is only the "spirit" of the real world culture (like ji'e'toh and bushido).  Sometimes there are elements from multiple cultures.  In any case, none of them can be directly equated to a real world culture.

Archived