DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Classic Mytholigies

hardlyaaron

I am interested in reading any and all Mythologies from different religions and parts of the world. It started when I was young, about 13, and I first read the Iliad. I've read a few others, mostly Celtic Mythologies, I'd like to read some that I normally wouldn't pick up or perhaps works that people might consider crucial to anyone interested in mythologies. Please leave any suggestions here or PM me.

well this isn't a story book but a theology book" Fingerprints of the God's" by John Hancock has theories from quite a few mythologies quite excellent imho ;D,

he also has an interesting book about the grail called " the Sign an the Seal"

I will get back to you when I can remember the names of a few books for Greek Mythology that are worth reading. I did a Classics degree (Ancient Greek and Latin) at university and did a Greek Mythology course in my first year. We were recommended a few books to read, and when I remember them, I will post them here.

Don't bother with Roman Myths - they just copied the Greeks and changed the names. However, it would be worth reading Vergil's Aeneid, a Roman Epic. Even though Vergil died before he finished the work completely, it traces how the Roman Empire and power was founded after the fall of Troy (i.e. Homer's Iliad).

You may as well read Homer's Odyssey, if you haven't done so already.

Even though I have never read it (but want to), read the Epic of Gilgamesh - it is an Ancient Mesopotamian epic poem.

Awesome, yeah the everything Roman seemed recycled, even their Deities. I'm getting paid on Friday and plan on ordering these all via internet, if you can think of anymore please do let me know. Very good suggestions btw and yes I have read the Odyssey, I love the Odyssey too bad no one has ever done a decent interpretation of it as far as movies go.

And to be honest, I hope they don't. Troy ruined The Illiad, so I hope they leave it well alone.

I remember the books now:

- for an insight from the Greek World on mythology, read Apollodorus' The Library of Greek Mythology

- for an overall view of all aspects and variations of the myths, buy Robert Graves' Greek Myths

Don't forget to read the tradegic playwrights (Euripides, Aeschylus and Sophocles) either as they cover myth in their plays.

And to be honest, I hope they don't. Troy ruined The Illiad, so I hope they leave it well alone.

I remember the books now:

- for an insight from the Greek World on mythology, read Apollodorus' The Library of Greek Mythology

- for an overall view of all aspects and variations of the myths, buy Robert Graves' Greek Myths

Don't forget to read the tradegic playwrights (Euripides, Aeschylus and Sophocles) either as they cover myth in their plays.

I never saw Troy because I hated the Odyssey and I just figured they would screw up another one. As for the other two thank you, I'll look them up with the rest. I'll check into the works of the other three you mentioned as well, all very good suggestions and I appreciate your time finding these.

As for American Gods, I think I've heard of it, but I've never read it. I'll take a look at it and probably get it in the future the books I have lined up are already going to cost me a pretty penny, but thank you for the mention.

If anyone has any others from any culture, I am still interested and would like to hear your input on what you think of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I always found Norse mythology to be more interesting. I find that it is really unique in the gods' relationships with each other. In some ways they seem more human than the Greek gods. I haven't read the Poetic Edda, but the Prose Edda was insanely good.

Archived