DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I've got a pigeon.

So.  The farm we live on for years was used as a homing pigeon breeding facility.  Apparently at one point it was THE top pigeon stud in the U.S.  The previous two owners both bred pigeons and such.  When the last owner died a few years ago, his widow sold the birds and the property. 

Homing pigeons were once used to carry messages and the like, sometimes traveling over 1000 miles.  They primarily are used in races now.  We've heard stories from the neighbors about the big races they would host here each year.  Breeders would send their birds here to be raised (because birds return to where they hatched/were raised).  Then they'd come out here, take their birds some distance off, and set them all loose.  Then they'd come back here, booze it up, and make cash bets over which bird would arrive back here first.  Apparently some of the purses for these races can get quite exorbitant, like cars, boats, and I even read of a recent race in another country with a 1 million dollar purse!  One neighbor told us about a year where the previous owner hired the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders to come out and mingle with the guests!

So about a week and a half ago, we had several rounds of storms come through.  The next day while we were cleaning up some roof damage to one of the old pigeon barns, we saw a pigeon!  He or she has not left since then so we assume this bird was raised here and somehow got loose from their current owner.

We can't catch it, so I've set an old pigeon feeder and some water out for him in the shade up off the ground next to one of the barns.  I'm currently trying to figure out how to catch it so we can read the band on his leg and find it's owner. 

Here are some pictures:

petey1.jpg

petey2.jpg

What a weird summer this has been...

I'm currently trying to figure out how to catch it so we can read the band on his leg and find it's owner. 

Set up a stool for it.

*looks around*

Get it?  Get it?  A stool pigeon?  Clever, huh?  I know.  I'm so witty.

*wonders where everybody went*

And what is that chirping sound!!!  >:(

Archived