DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

April Movie of the Month

Emperor

Which movie do we want to watch as a group?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie do we want to watch as a group?

• Heat
    • October Sky
    • Glory
    • Young Frankenstein

Heat

Sun Apr 05 @ 6PM | 5C    Mon Apr 06 @ 2PM | 1C  Fri Apr 10 @ 8PM | 7C    Sat Apr 18 @ 10PM | 9C  Remind Me Sun Apr 19 @ 1:30PM | 12:30C

Channel - AMC

A successful career criminal considers getting out of the business after one last score, while an obsessive cop desperately tries to put him behind bars in this intelligent thriller written and directed by Michael Mann. Neil McCauley (Robert De Niro) is a thief who specializes in big, risky jobs, such as banks and armored cars. He's very good at what he does; he's bright, methodical, and has honed his skills as a thief at the expense of his personal life, vowing never to get involved in a relationship from which he couldn't walk away in 30 seconds. Vincent Hanna (Al Pacino) is an L.A.P.D. detective determined to catch McCauley, but while McCauley's personal code has forced him to do without a wife and children, Hanna's dedication has made a wreck of the home he's tried to have; he's been divorced twice, he's all but a stranger to his third wife, and he has no idea how to reach out to his troubled step-daughter. While McCauley has enough money to retire and is planning to move to New Zealand, he loves the thrill of robbery as much as the profit, and is blocking out plans for one more job; meanwhile, he's met a woman, Eady (Amy Brenneman), whom he's not so sure he can walk away from. The supporting cast includes Val Kilmer as Chris, one of McCauley's partners; Ashley Judd as his wife Charlene; Jon Voight as Nate; Hank Azaria as Alan Marciano; and Henry Rollins as Hugh, who is beaten up by Hanna.

October Sky

Mon Apr 20 @ 5:30PM | 4:30C Sat Apr 25 @ 5:30PM | 4:30C  Sun Apr 26 @ 8AM | 7C

Channel AMC

NASA engineer Homer H. Hickam, Jr.'s autobiography provided the basis for this drama about a teenager coming of age at the dawn of the space race. In 1957, Homer Hickam (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a high school student in Coalwood, West Virginia when the Soviet Union launches Sputnik, the first man-made satellite. While most of his friends and neighbors react with fear or distrust, Homer is instantly fascinated and begins studying everything he can find on jet and rocket design. While many of Homer's friends are puzzled by his new obsession, several new friends share his enthusiasm, and with the encouragement of his teacher (Laura Dern), Homer and his fellow "Rocket Boys" begin designing and launching their own homemade missiles. However, Homer's father (Chris Cooper) takes a dim view of his son's interest in rockets and is convinced Homer's future should be the same as his own, working in the local coal mines. October Sky mixes the drama of traditional family conflicts with a nostalgic glimpse of life in the mid-50's and a look at the earliest days of our journey into space.

Glory

Apr 30, 08:00PM

Channel TCM

Historical war drama about the Civil War battle at Antietam, and the formation of the first black regiment, the 54th Massachusetts Voluntary Infantry.

Young Frankenstein

April 16th 7pm

Channel Fox Movies

In one of his funniest films, Mel Brooks spoofs classic horror films with  the story of Dr. Frankenstein's grandson (Gene Wilder) recreating his grandfather's experiment.

Oh... I guess I can explain.

We pick a movie and watch it as a group every month and then discuss.  Hmmm that was pretty easy.

Ah, smart

As a group, individually? Seeing as it's the internets and all. HMM. Anyhow, I still vote Heat, as it's readily available to me and it's such a great movie

• Community Administrator

Is it possible to watch any of these legally online as I don't have access to any of the American channels as I live in the UK?

Probably not...

To bad you europeans don't share some common tv station and you guys could have a Euro-Movie-of-the-Month-cause-america-sucks event. ;)

Do you have libraries over in the UK?  I am sure they have it there.  I actually bet they have all these movies there.

I voted Glory because I love it, but would certainly rewatch any of these again.  I do not believe I have seen YF though.

Please netflix, go to the library or set your DVR to record this movie on Fox Movies.  We will be discussing this movie starting April 17th in a new thread. 

Young Frankenstein

April 16th 7pm on Fox Movies

In one of his funniest films, Mel Brooks spoofs classic horror films with  the story of Dr. Frankenstein's grandson (Gene Wilder) recreating his grandfather's experiment.

Archived