DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ogier related questions ???

Osan`gar

in KOD the Ogier are meeting at the great stump to debate wheter or not to open the book of translation... what does this mean ??? also now that Saidin is pure again has the taint from the DO been cleasned from the ways so that machin shin is gone making the ways safe to use ???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copied and pasted from Encyclopaedia WoT:

Book of Translation

An Ogier artifact. Opening it will take the Ogier people to another world.

References

KoD,Ch19 � Loial and Covril debate whether to stay in this world and fight the Shadow or open the Book of Translation and flee to another world.

also now that Saidin is pure again has the taint from the DO been cleasned from the ways so that machin shin is gone making the ways safe to use ???

No, the taint is still in the ways. The damage already done is independent of any added or not added "extra" contamination. I don't know how they can make it safe again. Maybe they will, eventually. We'll have to RAFO.  :)

My father and I believe that there is a chance the ways taint is a combination of Mashadar and the DO taint, so cleansing Saidin may not do it alone.  In addition, it was already tainted, so it may be that they are permantly tainted, or need to be cleansed some other way seperately from Saidin. 

Aye, also, neither of Rand wounds are better off even though the Taint and Shadar Logoth are gone. Cadsuanes PoV shows that Damer Flynn had believed Rands wounds would be in a better state after the Cleansing, but they are still infected.

The wounds in the boy's side were unchanged, though Damer had expected they would be. It was all very disturbing.

Cadsuane, about Rand, WH ch.35, p.655

The Cleansing only affected the Taint on Saidin. It didnt harm Fain, or Machin Sin, or remove anyones madness, or heal either of Rands wounds despite the removal of the original sources of each infection. The only thing it changed is that channeling Saidin is no longer going to make men go insane.

No it wouldn't. He's about as likely a candidate for who is impersonating Sammael as Sammael is

Except we know he can do illusions, so its entirely possible.

No, it is not possible. No matter how good illusion Fain might be able to pull off, one thing he can not copy is the Chosen Mark, and that is quite necessary if you want to order shadowspawn around.

The only possible candidates for impersonating sammael and sending the trollocs on their merry way are either one of the surviving forsaken, or a 3rd Age channeler raised to the level of forsaken (And for that particular honour there is really only one candidate...)

Had Fain tried to pull that stunt off, he would have ended up in a cook pot.

Think the Ogier's "another world" is the same thing as the Amayar's that they killed themselves to get to?

No. The Ogier are planning to physically travel to another world. Presumably the same world they came to our world from during the AOL.

Think the Ogier's "another world" is the same thing as the Amayar's that they killed themselves to get to?

No. The Ogier are planning to physically travel to another world. Presumably the same world they came to our world from during the AOL.

The Ogier are most likely traveling to another world like those from the Portal Stones or some such, maybe even just another planet, though that's somewhat less likely.  The Amayar are committing mass suicide to go to a Nirvana sort of thing.  Just consider heaven compared to Jupiter. 

The Wheel touches other worlds and other dimensions. Even the world of ifs and the Dreamworld. I think the Ogier will go to a parallell world. They have to go away, in order to come back again in another Age (since they're not "here now" in "our Age"). The Amayar commited suicide to "wake from the dream". The Aiel have the same "wake from the dream" saying.

You beat me to it, Luckers. I'll just go ahead and post my reply anyway.

No it wouldn't. He's about as likely a candidate for who is impersonating Sammael as Sammael is

No, it is not possible. No matter how good illusion Fain might be able to pull off, one thing he can not copy is the Chosen Mark, and that is quite necessary if you want to order shadowspawn around.

The only possible candidates for impersonating sammael and sending the trollocs on their merry way are either one of the surviving forsaken, or a 3rd Age channeler raised to the level of forsaken (And for that particular honour there is really only one candidate...)

Majsju...

can you reference your remark about the "chosen mark" i have read the series several times but do not recall anything like that. i would like to look it up.

RJ confirmed that the Ogier homeworld is a parallel world--which is distinct from both another planet 'like jupiter' or a portal stone world, which is a mirror reflection of this world.

arnt't the portal stone worlds "parallel worlds?" if not what would constitute a parallel world ?

Week 6 Question: How were the Gholams made? Were they created or bred like the Trollocs? How exactly are they controlled if they are immune to the One Power?

Robert Jordan Answers: The gholam---singular and plural are the same---were created, not bred. Supposedly their creation involved making them so that they would be obedient to the Chosen, whoever they might be at any given time. This was an attempt at copying something that had turned up in Myrddraal, which seem incapable of disobeying one of the Chosen, possibly because of the use of the True Power in creation of the Trollocs, the parent stock of the Myrddraal. Even Aginor, who created the Trollocs, and thus indirectly the Myrddraal, was uncertain about the actual cause. (Becoming one of the Forsaken involves receiving a mark from the Dark One in return for your oaths; this mark is invisible and cannot be sensed by another human being, even another of the Forsaken, but it can be by certain non-human creatures, including Myrddraal and draghkar among others. This may play a part in the Myrddraal's obedience but doesn't explain it completely.) This element in gholam has some flaws, however, as we have seen in a small measure. In any case, if I were you, I wouldn't try giving orders to a gholam unless I were one of the Forsaken.

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=183

RJ confirmed that the Ogier homeworld is a parallel world--which is distinct from both another planet 'like jupiter' or a portal stone world, which is a mirror reflection of this world.

arnt't the portal stone worlds "parallel worlds?" if not what would constitute a parallel world ?

No, they're are mirror worlds--reflections of this world. Parallel worlds are distinct worlds, utterly unrelated to the main. We only know of two parallel worlds--the homeworld of the Ogier and the realms of the Finn.

Thanks, I haven't seen that one.  I was sure it was niether a mirror world or another planet, so I was unsure what to call it.  Parallel world works much better...

Yet Fain has powers of his own. Im pretty sure he could do Illusion and make them fear the fake Sammael they are seeing enough enough for them to not care whether or not he had the Chosen mark.

Anyway it was only an idle thought, its not a theory or anything. Put your guns away.

*waits for Ares to reply*   ;D

Archived