DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Setalle Anan

Sylvia

I was looking through here, and I didn't see anything directly pointed towards Anan.

Who was she? She was an Aes Sedai, I know, who was stilled. I'm just wondering, any speculation on what she did to be stilled? And who she could have been before hand. She adopted a new name when she went to Ebu Dar.

Yeah, I was just reading that.

It makes much more sense that she got burnt out rather than stilled. Then the ter angreal thaat Mat has that she gets interested in really points towards her having studied them previously. I get it now!

Before reading all that, though, I was thinking that maybe she had commited some horrible crime, that

even the tower couldn't look past. Kind of like when Verin was in Far Madding and was going by Mathwyn (or something along those lines) because she got booted out some years before for screwing around or something.

It always bugged me that she and Nynaeve were together after Nynaeve learned how to heal stilling. It's no coincidence that she is being led along with Mat and the Aes Sedai. I think she'll be healed as well.

It's also interesting how she's far more level-headed than most current Aes Sedai.

The novices with the SAS are wreckless in respect of the power because because they would just be healed.

I've been wondering why Rand hasn't had the burned out AM brought to him and healed so he would have something like 50 unknown AM in his cabal.  With only five, not counting himself, and 2 1/2 have their loyalties divided becase they are bonded he is just getting by on his title.

Yes, stilling can be healed, but I doubt being burnt out can be. Like someone said, it's kind of like a hair dryer. If the plug is pulled out of the socket, it can be plugged in again. If you completely screw the thing up by short circuiting the thing, you fry it. It can't be used anymore.

It makes sense that way.

Also, I know why the whole big mix-up between Anan being stilled vs. her being burnt out. Matt says "Severed/cut off from the power forever" which pretty much leads everyone to think of stilling. That's what screwed me up.

I believe that being Stilled and being Burned out are both different causes but result in the same thing, if one can be healed so can the other.

But women that are stilled can still sense the Source and can't touch it.  Women who are burnt out can't even sense the Source at all.

Despite the one difference, I also think that burned out could also be Healed.  Perhaps by the same method as for severing (stilling/gentling).  In the glossary of Shadow Rising, it tells that stilling is often used for both events.

This is the Encyclopaedia page about her:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/characters/s/setalle_anan.html

This page also talks about her:

http://linuxmafia.com/jordan/2_nondark/2.2_rest-chars/2.2.4_s-anan.html

I thought stilling/burned out was like simple/compound fractures (and have have had both kinds of fractures mind you) in that stilling/simple fracture was clean and reletively easy is set while a burn out was more horrible because it was a more tramadic injury that even a "good" set to the fracture looks real bad.

And while they healing may take longer and the X-rays look messed up, the healed bone is just as goog as it was before, or so the doctor told me.

But isn't severing (stilling) a different kettle of silverpike to burning out? Be interesting to hear the fundamentals from the Learned Ones here...
No. The only diffrence we know of is that burnt out women can't sense the Source, while stilled ones can. However, to bring up something which has been much debated, the three AS Rand severed during his breakout at Dumai's Wells, might be considered burnt out (they are referred to as stilled, but the description doesn't match other instances of stilling), and they were Healed. So it is not unreasonable for us to consider that both can be Healed.

But isn't severing (stilling) a different kettle of silverpike to burning out? Be interesting to hear the fundamentals from the Learned Ones here...
No. The only diffrence we know of is that burnt out women can't sense the Source, while stilled ones can. However, to bring up something which has been much debated, the three AS Rand severed during his breakout at Dumai's Wells, might be considered burnt out (they are referred to as stilled, but the description doesn't match other instances of stilling), and they were Healed. So it is not unreasonable for us to consider that both can be Healed.

Men can Heal being burnt out and women can Heal being stilled/gentled. But I think RJ said that they were different weaves of Healing. Both can be done, but different weaves.

Men can Heal being burnt out and women can Heal being stilled/gentled. But I think RJ said that they were different weaves of Healing. Both can be done, but different weaves.
Rj has said that men and women use different weaves for Healing, but I've never heard of him saying anything about burning out being Healable, one way or the other.

By the way, Flinn can Heal being burnt out, and Setalle Anan is burnt out. Siuan and Leane were stilled, but maybe he could Heal them up to full strength also. Looking forward to AMoL (for that reason, too).

We know Flinn could Heal stilling.  The three sisters from Dumai's Wells that he Healed weren't burnt out, they had been stilled by Rand.

We know Flinn could Heal stilling.  The three sisters from Dumai's Wells that he Healed weren't burnt out, they had been stilled by Rand.

Rand crushed the weaves they were holding. That means that they were burnt out. Stilling/gentling is a thing done through cutting their connection to the True Source.

Rand crushed the weaves they were holding. That means that they were burnt out. Stilling/gentling is a thing done through cutting their connection to the True Source.

Actually all we know is that the three were "severed" from the power by Rand's crushing.  This is a type of stilling, where the connection is broken by the crushing of the conduit by which power is reached instead of being merely sliced. Burning out suggests that an entire length of the conduit is "burned away" which would make "curing" it a rather more difficult procedure. If Flinn can actually heal "burning out" then he should be able to heal stilling as that would seem to require a much simpler procedure to reconnect the two ends of the sliced conduit.

Siuan and Leane were stilled, but maybe he could Heal them up to full strength also.

Might require re-severing them to line up the ends of the connection more perfectly. (kind of re-breaking a leg to reset it to correct a bad alignment of the bones in the aftermath of an original break.

I just realized that Lanfear was burnt out. And she was most likely Healed by a woman. That would probably mean that it really IS the same weave for Healing being stilled and Healing being burned out.

The Guide:

For women, the intentional removal of the ability to channel is called "stilling". If the ability is lost by accident the process is called being "burned out", though the term "stilling" is sometimes used for this also, a deplorable loss of precision in speech since the Old Tongue fell out of use. In any case, the results of being stilled or burned out are much the same. The stilled woman, like the man who has been gentled, is cut off from the True Source, always tantalized by the sense of saidar, yet unable to reach or channel it. The woman who is burned out can neither channel nor sense the Power. Stilling is usually done as punishment for a crime, while burnout occurs through overload or misuse of the power, or is the result of losing to an attack by a greater power while channeling. It is assumed that men are susceptible to burnout as well.

Those three (Irgain, Sashalle and...whatever) where losing to a greater power (=Rand) while channeling. This would mean that they were burned out.

It always surprise me how Catholics go all crazy when the A word is used, they even forget how to count.

Her soul was placed in a different body by the DO. Why would she need to have been healed.? The reduction in power may be the DO'S punishment for conspiring against him.

As far as I remember SEVERING=stilling OR burnout either one, in addition to the quote from the Guide above I think there is a quote in one of the main books.  Do we actually know that with stilling you can sense the source and burnout not.  In places I have heard the Guide was written to be wrong and AS say they send burnt out women away, that no one studies stilling or burnout.  Couldn't over time the thought that stilled can sense the source and burnouts cannot have become fact over 3,000 years, nothing more?  I mean was there a quote from suian or another stilled woman because in this instance I would rather have a POV quote than second hand information.  Maybe I should believe the Aes Sedai but they take waay to many things as fact that have no relation to the actual truth.  For my part I believe that both are healable since they are the same thing and if in the AOL they didn't have two seperate names I will trust them.

As for Lanfear v. Cyndane on strength there are quite a few threads on this.  As for DO punishment, she is mindtrapped and she is no longer Lanfear, if the DO was mad enough to reduce her power, then why bring her back at all?

Archived