DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The most despicable character

lgautam

Which do you think is the most despicable/loathsome character in the series?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the most despicable/loathsome character in the series?

• Sevanna
    • Galina
    • Couladin(when he was alive)
    • Egwene("the jumped up innkeeper's daughter")
    • Elayne
    • Halima
    • Lord Luc/Isam (in Shadow Rising)
    • Elaida, the Amyrlin Seat
    • Padan Fain/Mordeth

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Ares, at the beginning of the Dragon Reborn the wolves are trying to tell him something and he refuses to listen until finally they breakthrough his stupidity.
They say Twisted Ones are coming, he wakes up, they say it again, he gets out of bed, Lan alerts everyone before Perrin gets a chance to. Who died because Perrin didn't use his wolfishness?

They'd been trying to tell him about it for a while before that. They finally broke through whatever barrier he's able to put up to tune them out - right as the attack starts. Think of it as a "Hey stupid!"

Doesn't he beat himself up over it after the battle for not listening? My books are all in storage at the moment or I'd be hunting quotes.

I cant believe people like Fain and Slayer are even on the list!

I voted Elayne simply because I hate her, but my real choice would have been Mogheiden. Several times she has had Nynaeve in her grasp and every time Nynaeve escapes. Not that I dont like Nynaeve-shes one of my favorite characters-I just dont think there is any valid reason why Moghedien would keep rambling about the pain she will never end up inflicting every time she gets hold of Nynaeve.

Seriously though, more people should convert to hating Elayne. We all know she deserves to drown.

Jaichim Carridin wasn't all that unlikable as a character. What about Byar and the younger Bornhald?

Not sure that "despicable" is the equivalent of "likeable"  ???.  Not sure that I like the tactics used by WC Questionners.  Not sure that I like the idea of having DF's and Myrdraal rape & murder all my my family members to save my own A$$.  I think if you ping the group, there'll be many examples as to how despicable he really was. 

Sevanna, hands down.  She, more than any other, has hindered Rand's preparation for TG.  Fain is a close second, but I had to pick one of them, and her interference has been on a much larger scale (splitting the Aiel, butchering thousands, previously mentioned enslavement, etc.).

They'd been trying to tell him about it for a while before that.
In the chapter before the attack, the wolves only talk to him right at the end, then he wakes up, then they tell him again, then he's out of bed. Not much time passing. So, no.

My books are all in storage at the moment or I'd be hunting quotes.
I think someone had better, because this doesn't seem to have anyu support at the moment.

but thats my opinion...
People seem to have a lot of strange opinions. Nynaeve as most despicable character? Really?

They'd been trying to tell him about it for a while before that.
In the chapter before the attack, the wolves only talk to him right at the end, then he wakes up, then they tell him again, then he's out of bed. Not much time passing. So, no.

My books are all in storage at the moment or I'd be hunting quotes.
I think someone had better, because this doesn't seem to have anyu support at the moment.

He sniffed the wind without thinking. The smell of horse predominated, and of men and men's sweat. A rabbit had gone through those trees not long since, fear powering its run, but the fox on its trail had not killed there. He realized what he was doing, and stopped it. You'd think I would get a stuffed nose with all this wind. He almost wished he did have one. And I wouldn't let Moiraine do anything about it, either.

Something tickled the back of his mind. He refused to acknowledge it. He did not mention his feeling to his companions.

The tickling became an itch. No!

He could push the itch aside, but the expectation would not go. As if he teetered on a brink. As if everything teetered. He wondered whether something unpleasant lay in the mountains around them. There was a way to know, perhaps. In places like this, where men seldom came, there were almost always wolves. He crushed the thought before it had a chance to firm. Better to wonder. Better than that. Their numbers were not many, but they had scouts. If there was anything out there, the outriders would find it. This is my forge; I'll tend it, and let them tend theirs.

"I should be watching, not talking," he said curtly. "You won't thank me if I get you lost." He heeled Stepper forward enough to cut off any further conversation, but he could feel her looking at him. Sad? I'm not sad, just....Light, I don't know. There ought to be a better way, that's all. The itching tickle came again at the back of his head, but absorbed in ignoring Leya's eyes on his back, he ignored that, too.

If she's going to die by violence, it could mean an attack on the camp. But there were scouts out every day, and guards set day and night. And Moiraine had the camp warded, so she said; no creature of the Dark One would see it unless he walked right into it. He thought of the wolves. No! The scouts would find anyone or anything trying to approach the camp.

The itch had returned to the back of his head, stronger than before. No, burn me! No! It went away.

Perrin shifted his bruised feet uncomfortably. "We had warning enough." He knew he sounded as if he were trying to convince himself. I could have given warning, too, if I'd talked with the wolves. They knew there were Trollocs and Fades in the mountains. They were trying to tell me.

"It's not the Shadow in my dreams I'm afraid of. It's wolves. I will not let them in. I won't!"

The itch comes whenever his mind starts to wander - how in later books he makes contact with the wolves. Reading the chapters it's obvious even without knowing that that these itches are the wolves trying to get in touch with him. He doesn't accept it so they can't, until they enter his dream moments before the battle starts. He wakes up and their thoughts suddenly enter his mind and he gets up to give warning to the camp. He then beats himself up afterward for not talking with the wolves and giving an earlier warning.

And that not only makes him despicable, but more despicable than any other character in the books? He is the most despicable character in the books because he was reluctant to let wild animals tell him what to do in his thoughts? He had the nerve to wish to keep his mind private? He did not immediately see all the wonderful benefit of wild beasts sharing their wild, beastly thoughts of chasing and killing things with him at random times, crowding out all other thoughts and inducing similar desires in him, such that he risks losing his personality, his memory, his humanity? Yeah, he sucks for that, worse than any other character in the books, that's for sure.

My other choice is Perrin, before faile he is despicable because he doesn't use his wolfbrother senses and people die because of it.

But wasn't there a reasonable basis for him to resist the wolves at this juncture.  Wasn't he debating whether it was a good thing or a bad thing.  Wasn't he afraid that it is a talent from the Dark One... who's trying to affect the web of the Pattern.  Even though he saw Elias, he did see the other guy (in the town in Gealdan?) that was locked up by his brother after going completely wolf.  All of these would make even the most unreasonable of us take a step back and try and resist - no?

Also, as others have pointed out, he did / does seem to let the wolves in when it matters most.  When Hurin goes Portal with Rand and he fills in as the "sniffer" (TGH).  During the battle in the Mts of Mist (TDR).  When guiding Lan, Moiraine, and the others during their race with Rand to Tear (TDR).  The showdown with Fain & the trollocs in Emonds Field (TSR).  The fight at Dumai's wells (LOC?), etc etc, etc. 

Not sure any of these events correlate with "despicable". 

ok first post was kind of misleading.

yes i agree the most despicable character is sevanna.

but the character i want to kill with bare hand the most is definitely slayer/luc/isam.

sevanna would do nicely in a slave pen.

Elayne truly is despicable, especially with all of her thoughts thinking about how to help Rand in the last battle, thinking how to keep her country's people safe and untouched as the world disintegrates around them, continually giving money to charity to help refugees, helping to teach the Panarch of Tarabon learn to be a responsible ruler, bravely pursuing the black ajah, etc.  She is *constantly* contemplating whether she is worthy of being a queen of Andor, and grew up hearing tales of the bravery of the queens before her. 

Omg, remember, she is a young girl, who, in her mind, has already lost both of her parents by age what, 20?  Does she screw up?  Absolutely!  Does Rand screw up all the time?  Absolutely! How many soldiers did Rand kill while trying to push the Seanchan back into Ebou Dari?  How many died at the hands of the Prophet because he left the camp to head to Tear in the Dragon Reborn?  How many times did he act like a complete idiot in front of people?  How many are going to die because he's too busy to pay attention to the Black Tower, something he created, which seems to be pumping out a brand new line of Dreadlords, fresh off of the assembly line?  How about Mat's actions at times?  Perrin?  RJ's characters almost always seem to have flaws, and Elayne is certainly no different.  All of the main characters are young kids, feeling their way, at least in my opinion. 

As for the truely most despicable, I'd have to lean towards Sevanna, considering the amount people she managed to enslave while causing havoc all across Randland.  She managed to take a culture built on honor and obligation and turn it into one of drinking, raping and enslavement in a pretty short amount of time, which while impressive, is also pretty evil *laugh* 

Sorry for ranting, but it felt good ;)

Sevanna.  I despise her with a passion.  I hope the Seanchan brake her.  I don't want or think they will be able to brake the Aiel Wise Ones who were collared as damane but I hope they make Sevanna weep.

My other choice is Perrin, before faile he is despicable because he doesn't use his wolfbrother senses and people die because of it.

That is pure foolishness!  How can you call a character despicable because he is scared?  It is not every day a man finds out that he can talk with wolves.  Moiraines' musings in The Eye of the World that his contact with the wolves could be the result of the Dark One's touch and manipulation of the Pattern didn't all that much help either.  I am sure that would put the fear of God in anyone.

Even Rand has the excuse that when he reaches for saidin to save someone it doesn't always come and Mat defies the Black Ajah to rescue three pig-headed women even though he cannot channel but Perrin is too stupid to take a risk.

In the beginning, Rand vowed never again to touch tainted sadin.  By the time Rand has come to accept who and what he was, so had Perrin.  Mat -- note that he wasn't aware of the Black Ajah or Forsaken -- up untill The Fires of Heaven could only think about how best to slip away and ignore his responsibilities.

All three -- Rand, Mat and Perrin -- started out very reluctantly, refusing to accept the changes that were coming upon them and as the series wound on, they each grew and matured in their own ways and pace.

But Perrin, despicable?  No, far from it.

After he meets Faile he is despicable because his mentallity is let the world burn and Shai'tan win as long as I have Faile.

Rand would do the exact same thing for Min!  In Knife of Dreams after the trolloc attack on the manor and Lews Therin and Rand are working out their little deal to die at Tarmon Gai'don, and Min and Cadsuane are trying to talk to Rand, and Cadsuane makes a comment towards Min, Rand quite calmly warns Cadsuane never to threaten Min.

I think it's quite obvious Rand carried his own threat towards Cadsuane there.  He would be willing to send Cadsuane away -- someone who he needs in his struggle against the Shadow -- if he thought she would harm Min.  I have no doubt that Rand would let the world burn to protect Min.

In fact, as we later see, he was willing to die for Min without a moments hesitation when Semirhage launched her assult on him at the truce-talk meeting when he lost his hand and damaged his eye-sight because he couldn't move or else Min who die because she was behind him.

I believe the only reason he went after Rand was because Rand is Taveren.

Obviously.  Rand al'Thor is the Dragon reborn in case you hadn't noticed.

The most despicable character, at least to me is Jaichim Carridin. That dude offers up his family willingly in exchange for himself. Not only does he serve the Shadow, but he is absolutely spineless. And, as far as Perrin being despicable....are you sure you know what the word means? With Perrin, I think we found out how much he is willing to sacrifice for the world. Everything but Faile. To be honest, in his place, I would have made the same decisions. It's easy to talk about giving her up for the sake of the world, but your tune would change if you had to abandon your wife. I know I wouldn't.

Elayne truly is despicable, especially with all of her thoughts thinking about how to help Rand in the last battle, thinking how to keep her country's people safe and untouched as the world disintegrates around them, continually giving money to charity to help refugees, helping to teach the Panarch of Tarabon learn to be a responsible ruler, bravely pursuing the black ajah, etc.  She is *constantly* contemplating whether she is worthy of being a queen of Andor, and grew up hearing tales of the bravery of the queens before her.

Defending her?

Defending her?

In truth, more like pointing out a little bit of hypocrisy that seems to happen on these boards...  Egween, Elayne and Nynaeve are horrible, while Rand, Perrin and Mat are just peachy keen, so to speak.  I always find that kind of amusing.  Rand's arrogance is okay, but Elayne's 'royalness' is not, etc.  I find it funny that Elayne and Nynaeve make the list for most despicable, but not any of the male central characters :)   

Archived