DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Revelations... (Empy related)

Jehaine

Well... The time has come to shed a light on a little secret i've been keeping from you all. As with most stories, i feel i will need to start at the beginning for this one.

Once upon a time, in the days of 24k4 modems, there were things called MuDs, text based adventure games that could be played online. These were the predecessors of the current MMO game genre, but i disgress.

During my days at (the equivalent of) High School i came in touch with these games, and started playing a couple. As i was new to the concept of detailed character creation (RPG, but you could pick race, class, gender, stat distribution et al, really detailed for that time), my first characters were modeled according to what i knew, the classes i felt would match my real life persona the best. And, all characters were unanimously male.

The characters i made were all faulted, broken. Warriors that couldn't tank, thieves that couldn't dodge, casters that had spells which had the effect of trying to beat people to death with a paper napkin. I was getting pretty tired of recreating characters only to watch them be horriblky ineffective, but i figured i'd give it one last try before giving up on it altogether. I made a character that was a hybrid between a warrior and a caster, picked stat rolls that looked decent and made her female for the hell of it.

Surprisingly, this character turned out far better than any of my previous attempts. Where they were all struggling to take on two puppies (low level mobs -- don't ask) this one managed to take on four at once and still have some fight left in her. I played that MuD for a long time afterwards, along with several others, but in remembrance of that character all my characters afterwards were all female.

After joining my first forum, a DBZ one caled DeadZone if i recall correctly, i kind of rolled into the whole forum RPing scene. It was unmoderated, and everything took place in a single thread, but it survived several incarnations of the forums, running up to a year. My first character was male again, but my second character was female, and even though i have fond memories of Maric the plot i thought up for him was more light and comedic compared to the deep character development Raine was going through.

After the forums crashed again, this time for good, i spread out to other forums to try and find the enjoyment i had when RPing. There have been quite a few over the past couple of years, some short-lived, others lasting for quite a while. My characters had by this time become predominantly female however, whether as referrence to that old MuD character or the deep plots i managed to find for Raine i do not know. Given that i had explained this story in varying degrees of detail more often than i'd like -- multiple times on the same forum on occasion -- i opted to simply not state my true gender (as opposed to lying about it), thus avoiding this lengthy explanation altogether.

And then... i got to this place.. I joined, creating a couple of female characters within the week, and prepared to start roleplaying in the first threads on DragonMount. As you may have noticed, i haven't, nor did i ever state my gender in my profile options. No one asked me directly whether i was male or female, and according to what i had been doing until now i simply opted not to bring it up either. It didn't bother me to be referred to as female, as i felt my gender had no effect on my characters.

But then, my position as a staff member gave me access to the threads detailing the Empys, or more specifically the categories thereof. What ultimately told me i had to come forward about this was the realisation that i'd likely end up in the female categories, potentially stealing awards that should have gone to, y'know... an actual female member.

So, summarised, in my defense i can say i never lied about me being male, but rather 'pulled an Aes Sedai' and was content with people just assuming without asking. I apologise for those that end up feeling a bit decieved by all of this, but yeah... breaking the habit was a bit harder than i imagined it would be ^^;

Sincerely,

Jehaine

You would not believe how many times I have had friends on MMO/MuDs/Forums tell a story much like this one, heck I even have a friend who told everyone he was a girl for 2 years on WoW.

I could say the corny "The Truth will set you free" line (I just did  :P) but, I dont think that is even relevent to this, though I myself can say I have dont exactly what you did, just never stated my gender before on an mmo and laughed when some1 actualy asked.

Anyway, my two cents (Or how ever much my opinion is worth) for all you know, everyone has already voted for you on the "Best Female Rper"

Hah Jeh, no worries - we love you all the same. :) 

It's kind of ironic timing though, if only for the fact I had been chatting with some of my friends on another forum around here about the gender issue sort of being like... you mentally assign one gender to a person, and then find out that they're the other.  Whups, blushfest for getting it crossed, but no biggole deal in the end.

I do thank you for the clarification though, if only so people can vote in the right category. ;)

Gotcha, Jehaine, I had my doubts, but...

Seriously, what sorta woman would use such anime pictures for their characters as you do?! :D

(I am just as mean when it comes to online games, somehow. I ENJOY having a female avatar there, from time to time. When the game's good, especially.)

Anyhow, thanks for the honesty. Because, let's face it: Male characters in online-play mostly either look like Rambos on steroids or else like stupid whimps. :P

Its the darkside's cookies! I knew I shouldnt of eaten one of those chocolat chip cookies the black ajhad was giving out  :o!

Meh, perhaps if I eat some health food >.> that might counteract the darkside.

No no, I'm talking about the shadowspawn force. The BA force is in their odor :P

Nyn

• 2 weeks later...