DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New theory about Mat!

Cockta

This is so awesome that I'm going to make this post almost entirely in italic!

We know that Mat will lose half the Light of the world, but what does that men? Does it mean he'll lose an eye, or do something else?

I don't think so. I think he will betray Rand and Perrin, along with everyone else to save Seanchan from the Dark One. He'll live the rest of his life in Seanchan with Tuon as his wife.

I'm not completely sure if he would do something like that, but if something very unexpected happened, and he would be forced to abandon Rand and co to save Seanchan or do something else. What do you guys and girls think?

1. It is not new, the possibility of Mat moving to Seanchan is mentioned in pretty much every thread about what that prophecy means.

2. As said in all those threads, it simply does not fit with all the references to Mat and his eye that has been seen both bleeding and placed on a scale.

Betraying anyone I think is the wrong interpretation.

In Dragon Reborn, Egwene has a dream of Mat putting his left eye on a balance scale.  I think the prediction relates to that dream.

Either Mat would loose his left eye or Mat's left eye would go blind.

don't think so. I think he will betray Rand and Perrin, along with everyone else to save Seanchan from the Dark One. He'll live the rest of his life in Seanchan with Tuon as his wife.

I'm not completely sure if he would do something like that, but if something very unexpected happened, and he would be forced to abandon Rand and co to save Seanchan or do something else. What do you guys and girls think?

That seems to have been the plot line of the Outrigger novel that RJ had planned to write about Tuon and Mat (based 10 years after Tarmon Goidon).

Yet again, some things would make it unconventional for Mat to travel to Seanchan when Randland is getting overwhelmed by trollocs.

You do know that the proposed outrigger novel would have taken place 10 years after Tarmon Goidon? At which time the Trolloc would likely have been driven deeply into the blight.

No no no, you guys have it all wrong. This is simple really. During Tarmon Gaidon Mat will find himself in a situation where he has to get past some brambles, but in doing so, a thorny thorn will inevitably poke his eye out. So, Mat will choose- with lots of grumbling i presume- to go through said thorny bush, poking one of his eyes, and saving the world.

I see where you're coming from with the theory, but aside from what others have said about what Egwene saw, Mat is also burdened with an awful sense of duty and responsibility. He's tried to fight it all his life, but it's catching up with him and he is unable to deny it forever. Siuan commented on it early in the books. He won't stop doing something, even if he knows it's dangerous, until he is confident he's 'saved' everyone that needs saving. I dont see him upping and leaving for Seanchan, knowing that Rand, Perrin, Egwene (we saw a very touching view of how Mat feels about Egwene when he came to her at Salidar) et al to their fates. He's the best general Rand could ever wish for, and he'll prove himself times and times again in TG.

Mat wouldn't leave till after the last battle.  After all Seanchan is going to need some serious rebuilding after what its currently going through.  After the last battle not much use for Mat, doubt he would get involved in any of the remaining disagreemants between nations if any come up after the last battle.

At first thought losing half the light was him joining the Seanchan, (part of Rands west and south become one, north and east become one from the doorway), if the Seanchan are given half the world some might see that as losing "half the light".

Possible if he loses an eye might happen in the rescue of Moraine.

I think he'll lose an eye saving Moiraine, and that would ultimately be the straw that broke the camel's back. He would officially hate Aes Sedai, and their manipulations. This would lead to him finally deciding to leave for Seandar, where Aes Sedai are leashed.

Can't see Mat allowing leashing, he doesn't like them but he has freed any woman who was leashed that he could.  Pretty sure leashing is coming to an end for the Seanchan.  After all word that the leash holders can channel will spread sooner or later.

Given the dawning fate of rescuing Moiraine from the Tower of Genji I really can´t see a lot space for Mat going to Seanchan in the last volume. I see this in a merely practical manner, but given how slowly the general pacing of the books is set, I can hardly believe that - apart from Tar´mon Gaidon and the mentioned rescue-expedition - a whole new continent is shoved into the last book.

I've always thought that his losing an eye would have something to do with the tower of Gengi, rescuing Moiraine, and the snakes and foxes game. "...fire to blind..."  Mat has the matches given to him by Aludra, I think somehow he's going to blind the Fins and maybe there will be some kind of 'quid pro quo' attached to that - he blinds them, they blind him. 

Given the dawning fate of rescuing Moiraine from the Tower of Genji I really can´t see a lot space for Mat going to Seanchan in the last volume. I see this in a merely practical manner, but given how slowly the general pacing of the books is set, I can hardly believe that - apart from Tar´mon Gaidon and the mentioned rescue-expedition - a whole new continent is shoved into the last book.

Since RJ had planned an outrigger novel based ten years aftr TG with Mat and Tuon (presumably attempting to re-establish Tuon's rule in Seanchen) the chances, in my opinion, of anything like this being covered in AMOL is nil.-

Matt will give up half the light of the world in order to save it.

Egwene Dreamt Matt put his eye on a scale.

I think the prophecy means that Aludra is going to die. Though Matt is married to Tuon and is falling in love with her, he also cares deeply for Aludra. I believe that Matt is going to be forced to make a choice. On one hand, he can save Aludra. On the other, he can save Rand/Perrin/Insert some important person here or stop something from happening. The light of the world doesn't actually have to mean the whole world. It could be Matt's world.

Alternately, I see logic, though no surprise, in Matt giving Rand one of his eyes. As do I see logic and a little surprise in him giving an eye to rescue Moraine.

I reckon Mat will bargain with the Finns as so many others think, and I think Mat will offer his eye as part of the bargain. A very widespread believe I admit, but the reason behind it is that Mat puts his own eye on a scale. He does it willingly, and the fact that he puts them on scales to me seems like there will be something on the other scale. Scales are often used in trading in medievil times obviously, so to me it makes sense that Mat is paying a price ie his eye for something in return. Which I do NOT think will be knowledge-what knowledge will he need when the bargain is struck? I believe he will simply bargain for the safe escape of him, Thom, the third man Moiraine didnt know (Noal) and Moiraine herself. However metaphoric these visions are sometimes, I cant see any other possibility, although I am not so arrogant to say it is the only possibility just because I see no other.

Mat giving up an eye (half the Light of the world) will save the world because he will do so to save Moiraine, and as you all will remember, Rand will fail without "a woman dead and gone" which has to be Moiraine.

Which I do NOT think will be knowledge-what knowledge will he need when the bargain is struck? I believe he will simply bargain for the safe escape of him, Thom, the third man Moiraine didnt know (Noal) and Moiraine herself.

One could of course argue that Moiraine represents knowledge, especially with her questions to the finns being a big time RAFO.

Whatever happened in there I would like to think she used her Cairheinin upbringing and Aes Sedai misleadings to get a better deal than Lanfear. If the Finns were guna kill them both, and Moiraine somehow justified both Lanfears death and her own survival, it would prove just how good she really is.

Since Lanfear was held for a time, it seems she was either killed attempting to escape, or committed suicide, in a desperate hope the DO would recycle her.

I doubt Moiraine got to make any kind of deal. Her entrance was not exactly of a kind that should set the finns in a bargaining mood.

As thin as the argument is, wasn't Mat's character based a lot on Odin? So his giving up half the light of the world to save the world would mean literally losing an eye. I always figured it would be some form of Seanchan justice. If he doesn't go along with it he would lose Tuon or cause some agreement to be ended. There's no way he's going to get away with kidnapping Tuon, the only question is what they'll do to him for it.

Rand and the Seanchan could form a truce, with Tuon being returned. We know Rand will have to meet with the empress, that could be Tuon if the current empress dies (she might already have, I can't remember). Mat's punishment would show up about this point as one of the points for the truce to take place. Rand would leave the decision to his friend but Mat would remember the prophecy spoken to him in the door ter'angreal and go with it.

Even thinner, didn't one of the aiel tell him his face wasn't pretty enough to do without a scar? Perhaps it was foreshadowing!

Archived