DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Majsjus 2008 Top Albums

Majsju

Hi Banders! Just thought I should drop by and share my best albums of 2008 with you, since you like music and so ;D

1. Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Best thing to come out of Scotland since whisky. First time I listened to this album felt very much like listening to Nirvanas 'Nevermind' for the first time. Raw, desperate, and underneath the guitars a bunch of immortal melodies.

Flowers And Football Tops

2. Detektivbyrån - Wermland.

Acoustic fol-electro from northern Sweden...This might be the strangest things you have heard in years. But what is even stranger, it works.

Om du möter varg (live)

3. Hello Saferide - More Modern Short Stories From Hello Saferide

Swedens indie queen returned from a "break" (during which she recorded an album in Swedish that turned out to be even more popular than her usual work with Hello Saferide), and delivered her strongest album to date.

Anna

4. Primal Scream - Beautiful Future

It may be Primal Scream on autopilot for a good part of the album, but then, PS on autopilot is still more interesting than most other bands around today. And Bobbys duet with Lovefoxxx from CSS, 'I Love To Hurt (You Love To Be Hurt)' could almost have made it onto XTRMNTR.

I Love To Hurt (You Love To Be Hurt (Live))

5. Kleerup - Kleerup

In 2007 he invaded England with 'With Every Heartbeat', his collaboration with Robyn. In 2008 the album came, and it is very much in the same style.

Longing For Lullabies

6. The Cure - 4.13 Dream

When the last album came, I thought Robert Smith had lost his mind, and all his artistic ambitions. It was absolutely rubbish, and I thought The Cure was finished. So it was a surprise when they announced that they were working on a new album. And an even bigger surprise to hear it. Where last album tried to sound like typical american "alternative" rock, the ambition here almost seems to be returning to the songwriting of 91-92, but with an updated sound. And it is surprisingly good. And who would have thought that the return of Porl Thompson would make The Cure go back to sounding more pop? ;D

Sleep When I'm Dead

And as a bonus, my club anthem of the year, Spada - Arcobaleni

Glasvegas I like... The opening to that dang song is going to stick in my head for ages until I can recall the 60's song they stole that melody from.

Detective Bryan... not so much... Are they Bjork's back-up band?

Primal Scream... Yeah!

Kleerup .. That name here wouldn't make it. Sounds like an acne cream. That album oughta be right up The M~G's alley! It's sporty but not my style exactly.

The Cure... Solid. As one would expect.

Spada... I'm pretty sure this one's on Corki's iPod.. If it ain't I bet it is soon!!

Maj.. Thanks for this.. Though they are not MY faves, you put your choices out for inspection. Kudo's :)

Glasvegas I like... The opening to that dang song is going to stick in my head for ages until I can recall the 60's song they stole that melody from.

Take away the vocals, maybe tone down the guitars a bit, and you have quite a Phil Spector feeling there.

It's from the early sixties. From someone along the lines of Paul and Paula. Not them but a duo, guy and a girl I think. I keep thinking part of a line had "isn't it strange" or the like in it... It's not a Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" production either. Much lighter...

And click here to view Corki's Album of the year!

A quick taster: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d5p_U8J0iRQ

How could one have guessed. Trance being one of your faves.

Lets have a Battle of the Bands Corki-san ... OK.. I'm not making fun here. I find the similarities ..... interesting, if not, striking.

Monk Chanting

Archived