DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Need some reading suggestions

christe1602

Hi everyone,

My name is christel and Im a fantasy-holic. I am patiently waiting for the last book. I am not the sort to re-read books because for me the joy is in the mystery of the story unfolding. I also get sad when i finish a book. I am also waitng for the 3rd Book in Sara Douglass darkglass mountain trilogy. My library currently has no Donaldson, Eddings, Jordan (that i have not read). Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't even find Sanderson in the library. I am at a loose without a book. If you know of any good books please let me know.

Thanks

Christel

well there are already at least a 100 threads on here suggesting books, so you can browse any of those. But I would recommend

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams

Otherland by Tad Williams

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelzney

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Stephen Erickson

The Chronicles of Dune by Frank Hurbert

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin has to be at the top of the list. A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows are the currently released books in the series. The next book, A Dance With Dragons, may be out this year. Great chracters, highly regarded for its realism, lots of political intrigue.

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson is quite good. Gardens of the Moon, Deadhouse Gates, Memories of Ice, House of Chains, Midnight Tides, The Bonehunters, Reaper's Gale and Toll the Hounds are all currently released, with penultimate volume Dust of Dreams due later this year and concluding volume The Crippled God out next year. Also, the worlds co-creator, Ian C. Esslemont, has released two books in the world, Night of Knives and Return of the Crimson Guard. Return in particular is an important part of the series. Both authors think big - characters with lifespans in the hundreds of millenia, massive armies, huge battles, that sort of thing.

The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is well worth a read. The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings are the three books. A standalone set in the same world, Best Served Cold, is due later this year. Just don't expect happy endings.

Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker is one of the best fantasy trilogies I've read. The Darkness That Comes Before, The Warrior-Prophet and The Thousandfold Thought are the three titles. The Judging Eye, the first book in the sequel series Aspect-Emperor, which picks up the story 20 years after PoN ends, is due out soon. A crusade to free a holy city is the backdrop, and against this we see a sorceror discover that the prophsied harbinger of the Second Apocalypse is here, a barbarian set out to kill the man he loves, an emperor plot to extend his empire, and his heir plot to usurp him, while the fate of the world rests on the shoulders of one man, a man on a mission to find his father, a superman who will rise from a Prince of Nothing to become a Prophet and Emperor. Oh there's also some great battles and some philosophy.

Second Sons triolgy by jennifer Fallon is good, particularly if you're more into political manoeuvrings than magic, as this series doesn't have any (yes, fantasy series with no magic, what is the world coming to). Lion of Senet, Eye of the Labyrinth and Lord of the Shadows are the three books.

Discworld by Terry Pratchett, a series of stand alone novels numbering about 30 or so, is great. Very funny.

No shortage of things there.

Runelords by David Farland

(Earth King Series)

The Sum of All Men

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Wizardborn

The Lair of Bones

(Second Series-continuation of the story)

Sons of the Oak

Worldbinder

The Wyrmling Horde

Exiles by Melanie Rawn

The Ruins of Ambrai

The Mageborn Traitor

The Captal's Tower

The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Dragon Wing

Elven Star

Fire Sea

Serpent Mage

The Hand of Chaos

Into the Labyrinth

The Seventh Gate

All by Irene Radford

Dragon Nimbus Universe

The Dragon Nimbus Novels: Volume I

The Dragon Nimbus Novels: Volume II

The Dragon Nimbus Novels: Volume III

The Dragon Nimbus

The Glass Dragon

The Perfect Princess

The Loneliest Magician

The Wizard's Treasure

The Dragon Nimbus History

The Dragon's Touchstone

The Last Battlemage

The Renegade Dragon

I've only read the first 3 of the The Dragon Nimbus series, but am planning on getting the others  :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will be reading for quite some time I think. I will also look through the other threads about reading suggestions. I suppose I should also leave some time for Uni reading. Well maybe I should. I don't always do what I should.

Ta

Christel

I can't believe nobody has mentioned it yet, but Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series is an absolute must read.  Only two books out thus far - The Lies of Locke Lamorra and Red Seas Under Red Skies - but I'd stack them against anything on the list so far.

Also, Pat Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind (and Pat's a "friend of Dragonmount", so that's a bonus)

Also, the Kencyrath series is probably the best series nobody's ever heard of.  The author writes about a book a decade, but they're brilliant. God Stalk,  Dark of the Moon (the sci fi book club has an omnibus, Dark of the Gods, that also includes the short story Bones), Seekers Mask and To Ride a Rathorn. 

I can not believe none have mentioned Robin Hobbs. The Farseer, The Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man are three amazing trilogies.

J.V. Jones Book Of Words is also worth checking out. Her new series Sword Of Shadows is even better, but it is not finished yet (Book 4 of 5 is supposed to be published this year, but she has a history of pushing her dates.

Someone has already mentioned Raymond Feist, but in addition to his Riftwar series, the Empire trilogy written with Janny Wurts;

Daughter of the Empire

Servant of the Empire

Mistress of the Empire

is brilliant.

JannY Wurts series is also brilliant, called the Wars of Light and Shadow, beginning with 'Curse of the Mistwraith'.  Dont hear it mentioned on this site, but think it would appeal to most, very well written twists and a fully developed world, with a political and magic system that involves you completely.  Hghly recommended.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Amen to that. He already has 11 books in the Dresden series, with a scheduled (and already fully-planned) 20 books total, capped by what he calls an "apocalyptic trilogy". TDF really breaks the mold of the usual urban-fantasy angstipation - it's funny (oh my GOD, the snark is awesome!), tough, surprisingly deep and a hell of a ride from cover to cover. Think Simon R. Green's Nightside series, but far more complex and deep, not to mention less of a Big Red Win button. Book 12, called Turn Coat, is scheduled for publication in April.

He also has a wonderful high-fantasy series called the Codex Alera; the sixth and final installment of that one isn't due out until late 2009, though. Butcher fans are divided over which is better, to be honest... but very few who like one dislike the other. They're both excellent reads.

Archived