DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

stasis boxes

Dark Justice

Stasis fields are a staple of science fiction (Niven's "Ringworld" comes to mind) and, I suppose, a stasis box is a variation on that. It's sort of a suspended animation or a time suspension. And is just the sort of thing that makes me think WOT is sci-fi and not fantasy (Not HARD sci-fi, but sci-fi, nonetheless). Ulta-adanced telekinesis could explain the One Power and Saidin and Saidar, quantum universes (multiverse's) could explain the dream world and portal stones, genetic engineering and bio-warefare could explain the Trollocks. Now if I could just figure out a reason why Dark Hounds only leave tracks in stone I'd have it all figured out.

I have always thought of Stasis Boxes a sort of *portal*. When you open the *door* it will be a gateway to a micro-universe in which time passes at such a minuscule rate that it is virtually undetectable. When you open the *door* you can allow things back into our world.

*Looks at his book where Rand uses a portal stone.* Oh look 3 months have gone by, and none died of malnutrition or grew a beard 6 feet long.

I have always thought of Stasis Boxes a sort of *portal*. When you open the *door* it will be a gateway to a micro-universe in which time passes at such a minuscule rate that it is virtually undetectable. When you open the *door* you can allow things back into our world.

*Looks at his book where Rand uses a portal stone.* Oh look 3 months have gone by, and none died of malnutrition or grew a beard 6 feet long.

Because with the Portals you can travel through time as well, but I think only forward. The Portals have 3 reference points for travel

1 World

2 Place

3 Time

I'd have to say a stasis box is much like the box Urza put his assistant Tawnos in at the end of 'The Brothers War'...what were those called?  oh right, stasis boxes.  Tawnos stayed in the box for 3 years or so, and didnt age, or die or grow a huge beard.  its a piece of artifice that stops time when all the pieces are connected together...the door is shut.

requirements TM: Stop ; craft wonderous item ; CL 15ish.

Duneflayer, within a bag of holding is a non-dimensional space where the inside dimensions > outside.  living things can be put into a bag of holding but can survive for little more than 10 minutes depending on the size of the individual and the size of the bag.  at least according to the 3.5 DM's handbook.

I'd have to say a stasis box is much like the box Urza put his assistant Tawnos in at the end of 'The Brothers War'...what were those called?  oh right, stasis boxes.  Tawnos stayed in the box for 3 years or so, and didnt age, or die or grow a huge beard.  its a piece of artifice that stops time when all the pieces are connected together...the door is shut.

requirements TM: Stop ; craft wonderous item ; CL 15ish.

Duneflayer, within a bag of holding is a non-dimensional space where the inside dimensions > outside.  living things can be put into a bag of holding but can survive for little more than 10 minutes depending on the size of the individual and the size of the bag.  at least according to the 3.5 DM's handbook.

your quite right,

what i  was trying to get across was that stasis boxs are like a pocket in space and time were things don't age and so forth, you are corecct about the bag of holdingthough

The "pockets" were Vacoules (sp?)

One of the Forsaken was thinking of them and using them for meeting places, holding cells, and others.

Moggy was held in one for her punishment after Aran'gar freed her.

Stasis boxes are more like a time capsule with a super awesome never fail Keeping ward woven either around it or a box made of a Keeping ward.

The difference is stasis boxes are solid objects within the here and now. Vacoules are "seperate" from the pattern, yet "attached"...they can be unstable and whatever is in one that becomes "detached" from the pattern ceases to exist.

And is just the sort of thing that makes me think WOT is sci-fi and not fantasy (Not HARD sci-fi, but sci-fi, nonetheless).
Fantasy with a bit of sci-fi stuff thrown in - sort of science-fantasy-ish.
Ulta-adanced telekinesis could explain the One Power and Saidin and Saidar,
Really?
genetic engineering could explain the Trollocks.
It does - Aginor created them in a lab.

I would definitely not put a bunch of light bulbs in mine. I can't seem to remember which one it was, but one of the forsaken got a stasis box of discount glowbulbs.
Graendal had one full of streith, Sammael one with lots of goodies and the gholam, and Ishy one full of Zomara.

I would definitely not put a bunch of light bulbs in mine. I can't seem to remember which one it was, but one of the forsaken got a stasis box of discount glowbulbs.
Graendal had one full of streith, Sammael one with lots of goodies and the gholam, and Ishy one full of Zomara.

I think JB Sedai is thinking of Semirhage, specifically the incident where she tortures Cabriana and her Warder.  The location she was in had many glowbulbs, but I don't remember if she found them in a stasis box or they were intact and functional in a building she found.

The location she was in had many glowbulbs, but I don't remember if she found them in a stasis box or they were intact and functional in a building she found.
The only stasis boxes mentioned are those I mentioned. The ones you mention were "salvaged from the Great Lord alone knew where." Could be a stasis box, but no confirmation.

Archived