DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

question on seanchan captives

ROB_88

we all know that those who can learn to use the Power become Sul'dam.

The Seanchan captured a whole bunch of future damanes on theyre invasions but they must have found some who can learn it aswell.

given that the Randland people resist here and there, do the Seanchan trust them enough to make them Sul'dam? or is there another option for those who can learn to use the power?

I would assume that as long as they don't start channeling (which learners will never do without some sort of teaching) then the Seanchan don't care. I doubt the Seanchan even bother to test randlanders to see if they can become Sul'dam, only Damane.

I would assume that as long as they don't start channeling (which learners will never do without some sort of teaching) then the Seanchan don't care. I doubt the Seanchan even bother to test randlanders to see if they can become Sul'dam, only Damane.

True enough. Besides, it would seem that the Seanchan rather have an over-abundance of sul'dam since they can't provide them all with damane.

It isn't unreasonable to think that the Seanchan would consider recruiting Randlander women to replace casualties at least a possibility, though.

However, at the moment it would seem that they still got enough reserves without putting such a thing into action, and likely they wouldn't do so before they had at least as tight a grip (more) on all of their conquered territories as they have in Tarabon.

Besides, how well supplied with a'dam would Those Who Come Home be? Maybe that's another obstacle in the way of effectively executing such an endeavor.

I agree with Dhaimon. They have a surplus of suldam. What's MORE interesting to me, is HOW they can force a damane to foretell something... I always figured foretelling to come and go, but apparently, Tuon commanded one of her damane to read her fortune, and ended up being married to Mat.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

What's MORE interesting to me, is HOW they can force a damane to foretell something... I always figured foretelling to come and go, but apparently, Tuon commanded one of her damane to read her fortune, and ended up being married to Mat.

You're right, Foretelling has always been set up as something that happens sporadically with no warning.

As result, I think the telling of fortunes is a different Talent than Foretelling.

maybe it's something to with the control the a'dam has? Like the scouting for metal thing with egewene?. she didnt know she could do it until the seachan trained her, and i bet no other aes'sedai knows how to do that. it could be lost to the ages just like traveling is. i have no actual evidence for this just speculating

Something more along the lines of what Min does?

maybe it's something to with the control the a'dam has? Like the scouting for metal thing with egewene?. she didnt know she could do it until the seachan trained her, and i bet no other aes'sedai knows how to do that. it could be lost to the ages just like traveling is. i have no actual evidence for this just speculating

Haven't a clue.

We've only got Tuon's comment to go on, haven't we?

For all we know it could all come down to a set of tarot cards.  ;D

I believe that they will start testing for main land suldom if casualities amoung the current suldom reach critical levels, although if that happens it is likely that there will be too few domenae to matter. 

I do believe that if the instution remains they will begin taking in mainlanders in ten years or so.

I think they would only test the ones they make da'covale; if they test any non-Seachan.

Why?

I mean, why would being da'covale mean anything to a wetlander? I don't think it'd necessarily make them more pliable/accepting of Seanchan ways.

I believe that they will start testing for main land suldom if casualities amoung the current suldom reach critical levels, although if that happens it is likely that there will be too few domenae to matter. 

I do believe that if the instution remains they will begin taking in mainlanders in ten years or so.

Sounds entirely reasonable.

If Harriet decides to have Brandon do the Mat and Tuon outrigger, We might see a final end to the a'dam's. I personally don't like them at all. The whole thing Egwene went though in TGH felt so much like rape to me, that I have skipped those parts of the book ever since I read it the first time. I just can't deal with it on a personal level. It's the same kinda feeling I get when I watched the first SAW movie kidnap and torture movies or books mess with my head badly.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

I agree with Dhaimon. They have a surplus of suldam. What's MORE interesting to me, is HOW they can force a damane to foretell something... I always figured foretelling to come and go, but apparently, Tuon commanded one of her damane to read her fortune, and ended up being married to Mat.

Two things--Firstly, its directly stated that the foretelling takes each woman differently. Nicola for instance has a far greater talent than Elaida, yet Elaida remembers hers whilst Nicola does not.

Secondly, RJ stated that the Talent for Foretelling has remained stronger in Seanchan than it has in the Westlands. As such there may well be women capable of inducing it upon themselves simply by desire, and that those modern Aes Sedai with the ability cannot is not surprising.

• 3 weeks later...

there is something i wonder about the a'dam itslef.

when the sul'dam want the damane to make a certain weave, do the tell them everytime or do they make them feel what they want?

and how much can the damane resist anyway?

what i mean is, is the a'dam a speacial form of compulsion or just communication?

The tests for Sul'dam and damane are the same, aren't they? The Seanchan don't know you can learn to channel, they think it's something you are either born with or not. At a certain age all girls are tested for the ability to channel. Any who pass are made damane. At a later age, when the ability to learn would have shown itself, women are tested a second time. If they pass then they become Sul'dam.

So the reason we won't be seeing any Randland Sul'dam is because they would all be tested first for damane and it would be known they could all channel. The Seanchan wouldn't know how to differentiate between one with the ability born in her and one who simply is able to learn.

No.

Everyone gets the collar put around her neck, if she is a wilder and the spark is beginning to manifest then she will be effected by it. Someone who can learn will not be, unless they are actually learning already (eg. like those who have been Sul'dam for a period of time). After they've collared all the sparkers they then let girls try on the bracelet to see if they can feel the Damane on the other end.

in TSR it is mentioned that at Falme some Sul'dams ESCAPED on theyre own.

why would they do that?

Too lazy to check the book, but that should have been the Suldams that walked in on Egwene when she was rescued, and as a result ended up with an a'dam around their necks. All of a sudden they realise that they are no longer Suldam, but Marath'damane. And apparently they were more interested in saving their own skin, than to obediently return to the empire and accept their new status.

there is something i wonder about the a'dam itslef.

when the sul'dam want the damane to make a certain weave, do the tell them everytime or do they make them feel what they want?

and how much can the damane resist anyway?

what i mean is, is the a'dam a speacial form of compulsion or just communication?

It is neither, but a special form of forced linking. A Sul’dam can weave saidar herself (ie Nyneave using Moggy’s power when she’s not angry enough to channel on her own) Though she doesn’t. The control is more along the lines of the experienced Sul’dam knowing what she wants done, and the a’dam prevents the damane from going against the Sul’dam’s wishes.

With a fully developed and trained Sul’dam the damane has NO chance of resistance. I’m wondering if this is based on the Sul’dam’s confidence and sense of self, and if a damane has any chance with a Sul’dam in training.

Archived