1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

The opportunity would be improbable because of these reasons::

-Both are on the side of the light.

-Both would likely remain on the side of the Light.

-There might be very little either could say or do to cause a fight with the other.

-Both might be not easily deceived about the other.

-Both are kind of too old to do fighting games.

Though if they do a one-on-one fight, it might end in a stalemate.

Enter the world of the hypothetical and muse a bit my friend. Obviously they have absolutely no reason to engage in a fight, nor would any of their companions allow such a fight to occur as it would only having damaging effects in the face of TG, BUT as there really ain't that much to discuss at the current moment considering the lack of new material out, one can't help but wonder about improbable scenarios such as this and just who the general consensus believes is the deadlier of the two

There's got to be a reason for the sword being the fourth most weapon in all metallurgic pre gunpowder societies in history. Based on the high cost of good steel and the skill needed to craft a high quality sword no way it would be used if a stick with a sharpened end would be as good.

While I love Rhuarc he is one of the coolest Aiel in the books I think Lan would win. Lan is just to good, he's got the training of both the hands and feet and the sword. I think he used just his hands/feet in Eye of the world if I remember rightly that is. He's also a warder and the Warders have enhanced skill. So in the end I think Rhuarc would lose.

I agree with Tyrell; they're likely to both exit a fight to the death mortally wounded, though Lan has a slight edge in healing ability.

Combat to the first blood, or whatever? I give Rhuarc the edge, as Lan isn't trained in that sort of combat particularly, and if he has to hold back, I think he'll lose.

Sword was the most Remembered... A sword can lose to a dagger if the person wielding the dagger is skilled enough. As we see when Rand Encounters Paidain Fain. If rand had not been a blademaster he would have lost.

Now for the question at hand... In a fight i think it would end in a stalmate, they are both masters of their chosen weopens and Lan Considers Aiel a worthy adversary. If he went up against rhuarc I think that they would kill each other.

I'd have to go with stalemate, for the above reasons and also because I like both of them equally.  They're both badass and experienced and wise. 

While I love Rhuarc he is one of the coolest Aiel in the books I think Lan would win. Lan is just to good, he's got the training of both the hands and feet and the sword. I think he used just his hands/feet in Eye of the world if I remember rightly that is. He's also a warder and the Warders have enhanced skill. So in the end I think Rhuarc would lose.

There was a quote about how an Aiel without a weapon and a non-Blademaster swordsman is a fair fight in one of the books.  The Aiel know a lot about hand-to-hand combat.  When Gaul was freed by Perrin, he took out a number of the Whitecloaks with his hands and feet.

Guest Dreadlord

There's got to be a reason for the sword being the fourth most weapon in all metallurgic pre gunpowder societies in history. Based on the high cost of good steel and the skill needed to craft a high quality sword no way it would be used if a stick with a sharpened end would be as good

UNQUOTE

And the reason is...personal choice.

Lan knows how the Sheath The Sword and Rhuarc is an Aiel - Till Shade Is Gone and all that.

Isn't sheathing the sword used to kill oneself? How is that applicable here?

'Till shade is gone' is actually just an inspirational phrase. It doesn't speak about the fighting abilities of the character.

There's got to be a reason for the sword being the fourth most weapon in all metallurgic pre gunpowder societies in history. Based on the high cost of good steel and the skill needed to craft a high quality sword no way it would be used if a stick with a sharpened end would be as good.

The spear tip is metal, which makes it significantly more deadly than if it were wooden. Also, four Aiel clans practically smashed apart the wetlands during the Aiel War. That speaks about the fighting capability of Aiel. So one cannot ignore the efficiency of spears.

Lan, though, is experienced. He has also fought Aiel before. He'd likely win, especially if Rhuarc was holding Nynaeve hostage.

Lan knows how the Sheath The Sword and Rhuarc is an Aiel - Till Shade Is Gone and all that.

Isn't sheathing the sword used to kill oneself? How is that applicable here?

'Till shade is gone' is actually just an inspirational phrase. It doesn't speak about the fighting abilities of the character.

"Till Shade Is Gone" and the rest is about the Aiel's determination. I believe it is said somewhere in the book that that is how long the Aiel will fight. In this instance I take it to mean that an Aiel will fight with his last, dying breath; even if he had suffered a mortal wound he wouldn't stop until he was stone cold.

The whole Sheathing The Sword thing... see Rand's fight against Ishamael and Ingtar's scarifice at the end of TGH. That's Sheathing The Sword - knowing when the only thing, the best thing, that you can do is to give your life. If Lan had to defeat Rhuarc in a fight to the death (for reasons unknown) and it was that important then he'd give his life to win if necessary.

I decided Lan would win since from being a warder he would be able to long periods without food, drink, and rest.

Rhuarc is not yet a warder.

Though if Rhuarc becomes a warder, I think I would stick to my earlier statement about it ending in a stalemate.

If Lan's Aes Sedia dies or gets stilled without the bond passing and if Lan is able to survive that, it might still be a stalemate.

What Aes Sedai values her life little enough to bond someone married to Amys.

It does not have to be an Aes Sedia that bonds him.  Any channeler could have a warder; Amys could probably learn about it from Egwene or from one of Egwene's followers.

I think Lan will win, because it isn't really mentioned anywhere specifically that Rhuarc is a good fighter. Oh sure, he has willpower (to withstand the news that Aiel are tinkers) and good leadership skills ('cause he's a clan chief), but he isn't necessarily the best spearman in the Taardad or something of the like. And Lan has killed Aiel before, and lived to tell the tale.

I think Lan will win, because it isn't really mentioned anywhere specifically that Rhuarc is a good fighter. Oh sure, he has willpower (to withstand the news that Aiel are tinkers) and good leadership skills ('cause he's a clan chief), but he isn't necessarily the best spearman in the Taardad or something of the like. And Lan has killed Aiel before, and lived to tell the tale.

That's a good thought.  On the other hand, Rhuarc was the one who trained Rand in the spears and Aiel hand-to-hand combat, which Lan also took part in.  The facts that a) Rhuarc was the one to teach Rand and b) Lan trained with them signifies to be that Rhuarc is likely above average even by Aiel standards and close to Lan's ability in fighting.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheathing The Sword = accepting your opponents blade into your body in order the get a killing blow with your own. It may result in your death but you can survive as Rand did against Ishmael.

As for the Lan vs Rhuarc fight, you are comparing apples and oranges here.

Fighting with a sword requires certain skills and the same is true of spears.

that fight could go either way.

Who would have thought a quarterstaff would have been any match for a swordsman let alone 2. Two Warder trained swordsmen at that. (Mat vs. Galad/Gaywn)and Mat still weak from his healing.

Who would have thought a quarterstaff would have been any match for a swordsman let alone 2. Two Warder trained swordsmen at that. (Mat vs. Galad/Gaywn)and Mat still weak from his healing.

Staves are faster than swords with a longer range. Swords have their good points as well, but given enough room and a skilled hand a staff is a good counter to a sword. Small note Aiel use short spears not a full spear which can be an important point (easier to throw, but less range etc)

Archived