DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[GAME] Star Wars: The Old Republic (MMO)

Shendare

swtor.png

Star Wars: The Old Republic

www.SWTOR.com

<hr>

Future chapters of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise will be released in MMO form.

The new MMO production, dubbed "Star Wars: The Old Republic", was announced October 21, 2008.

It is being developed by Bioware, the makers of the original Knights of the Old Republic game (the sequel, KotOR II, was created by Obsidian, the makers of Neverwinter Nights 2, which was the sequel to another Bioware game, oddly enough).

Press Release - 10/21/2008

No official details regarding platforms have been released so far. MMOs are generally PC territory, though some have been released for consoles as well (FF XI on Playstation, for example). The first two Knights of the Old Republic games were released on Xbox as well as PC, so we'll see.

From the FAQ:

When does Star Wars: The Old Republic take place in relation to the movies?

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place more than 3,500 years before the rise of Darth Vader. The most powerful Sith Empire in history has emerged from deep space to attack the Republic and its legendary Jedi guardians. After decades of war, a tenuous truce has been established between the Sith Empire and the Republic, but events occurring in the game are leading the galaxy back to an all-out war.

How does Star Wars: The Old Republic relate to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place approximately three hundred years after the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR). At the conclusion of the Jedi Civil War in KOTOR, Revan disappeared into unknown space in search of a great threat to the Republic, an expanding Sith Empire led by a mysterious Emperor who planned vengeance for his ancient Jedi enemies. Revan never returned from unknown space, but the Sith Empire did, kicking off a war with the Republic that lasted for decades. Now, despite the uneasy truce created by the Treaty of Coruscant, the tension among the divided star systems is threatening to once again tear the galaxy apart.

Will I see any characters from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

Given that it is approximately 300 years since the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, many of the characters have passed away. However, their legacy does live on as many of their descendants will be part of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some droids can last a long time as well.

Interesting.  I like MMO's, but there already is one out there called Star Wars: Galaxies.  It is currently celebrating its 5 year anniversary.  I used to play it, but they changed the game up big-time, so I quit.

I'm not sure having 2 MMO's would work, unless they plan on twilighting SWG.....

• 11 months later...

UPDATE: In case you missed the newsletter e-blast, SW:TOR is now accepting applications for public playtesting.

To sign up, register or log in to www.swtor.com from the computer you plan to test on, go to "My Account", and select "Yes, I would like to be considered for testing." near the bottom of the page.

You also need to submit your system specs (they have an automated Java applet or ActiveX control to take care of this, which is why you have to log in from the computer you'll be playing on) and confirm your real life contact info.

No word on when testing will begin, but this is the time to sign up!

ya i played SWG for awhile and went thru the the upgrades they did ..CU and the NGE and all. i have been waiting for this to come out. when they were thinking of redoing the SWG i was more for a fan for it to be after the new hope and such. it would have been cool instead of 2 factions there would have been 3 factions to compete against each other. but i will still check it out and i will try to get in on the beta testing also.

i love star wars

that said.....

i have never ever ever seen a star wars game that worked well.  granted its been a while since ive played any (mostly because the ones i played where so buggy). but unless they have gotten a lot better then it will probly still be a long time till i play another one.

any word on when SC2 comes out? 

• 4 weeks later...

i love star wars

that said.....

i have never ever ever seen a star wars game that worked well.  granted its been a while since ive played any (mostly because the ones i played where so buggy). but unless they have gotten a lot better then it will probly still be a long time till i play another one.

any word on when SC2 comes out? 

KotOR and its sequel were both really good.  Also, Bioware almost never fails.

Archived