DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bringing the Darkness Home?

_Kynwric_

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so the night came and went, Kyn and Lor spent their evening alone for the first time in a long time. The rest of the group went there separate ways and everyone reconvened the next morning in the room that had been set aside for their meals, with nothing else planned for today other than rest and preparation everyone was told to handle their business and reconvene that evening for supper so the final details for the trip to Tar Valon could be handled.

When the time came for that dinner Kyn was dressed and ready, waiting for Loraine to finish readying herself. "What do you think about this trip? I am slightly nervous about it. Too much can go wrong."

Perivar spent most of the day making arrangements and procuring supplies.  He had to get enough for four since the Accepted had been left in their care.  Fortunately the two Accepted had been kept busy by the Aes Sedai for the better part of the day so he had some time to himself.  They had been out late the night before trying to discover word of Jerinia's father.  They have to wait to see if their efforts paid off.  Hopefully someone would learn something useful and pass it along through the proper channels.

Perivar visited with Dangar to make his goodbyes and give him the gift that he had purchased for him as a thank you for his training.  He was surprised when the Shienaran Lancer gave him a lance as a gift of friendship.  It pained Perivar that there was outright dissention between Arafel and Shienar, he liked Dangar and could not think of him as an enemy of his homeland. 

With all the preparations complete there was nothing left but to dine with the others then enjoy their last night of rest in a fine establishment.  He looked at his suit of armor on the armor stand.  The nasal piece of his helmet had been repaired by a Shienaran blacksmith.  Without the connection to the Tower and the harsh words from Dangar he thought the blacksmith would have refused to fix his helm.  His mind replayed the events of that skirmish.  Perivar smiled at Kabria a surge of pride flowed through the bond from him to her.  She looked up from her book as she recognized it for what it was.  She had done extremely well in that skirmish.  On top of that she had saved his life.  She smiled at him and he felt love flowing back through the bond.  As bright as a midday sun.

"I love you Kabria, more than ever.  You are more beautiful than a field of assorted flowers."  Did she ever tire of him saying so?  He told her often which was out of character for him.  Well around others maybe but around her he melted, he felt like a boy addressing a Queen.  When they were in private it was another matter, she made him feel like a man.  He finished dressing "Shall we go meet the others?  I am looking forward to a good meal.  It will be some time before we can enjoy the fine fare such as we have found here."

"What do you think about this trip? I am slightly nervous about it. Too much can go wrong." Kyn's voice drew her eyes away from the dress hanging on the hook before her. They traveled to the mirror next to the armoire to meet his eyes in the reflection. She sighed and reached for the dress, slipping it over her head and arranging it over her underthings, giving herself time to form her answer. He'd suggest dumping their burden on the others and remaining in the borderlands if she told him what she was really thinking.

She lifted the hem and moved closer, presenting him with her back. "Lace me up?" She felt his finger deftly pulling on stays and sighed again. "I fear this journey, to be honest. It was one thing taking the trainees a few leagues from the Tower. These Accepted..." She shrugged as he finished with her lacings and turned towards him. "If these were new Greens, I wouldn't think twice. With the prickly nature of the children, however, I'm afraid the Accepteds' eagerness may be too much for them. It won't go well if we run into anyone who's opinions of the Tower are less than gleaming, either..."

She sank down next to him and shook her head, relishing in the few moments she had where her expression and body language didn't have to be measured and thought out. "We're damned, I think. If we're vigilant, we'll let stress cause our troubles. If we're less than vigilant, something that seems tiny will sneak up on us. We can't really let either one happen. How do you remain vigilant and yet relaxed? You're much better at it than I have ever been, you know?"

"How do I manage it? I was about to ask you the same thing love, I still have no idea how you deal with the constant struggles we find ourselves in." He handed her her shawl, knowing how far that one small accoutrement went, both in Fal Dara and in the eyes of Accepted and the Tower Trained warriors. "We'll probably need all the strength we can muster, those Accepted..." he shook his head. "They will be the death of poor Perivar, either by Kabria's hand or his own."

Lor grinned, settling the shawl on her shoulders. "I can't decide whether to feel sorry for him or not." She bent her arm and offered it to him, her eyebrow arching. "Fear will not stop what's coming, however. The faster we get these two children back to the Tower, the better off we'll be, I think. Besides, I asked the staff of the kitchen to make your favorites. Do you suppose that will help you relax? One of us should be... "

• 3 weeks later...