DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Spoiler ! Hopper - Soar Like the Eagle...

Rab Coplin

I don't think I've ever actually cried over a book or a movie, but I know what you mean. The only part of the series that has made me feel that so far, though, is the scene where Ingtar dies so Rand can escape.

That scene is also very powerful. Ingtar finding redemption and Rands words of comfort for him...

Yeah, Hopper's flying was a really good part, though Ingtar's attempt to atone for past mistakes didn't affect me as much.

One of the most emotional points for me in the books is later on when Nynaeve manages a miraculous Healing (I won't spoil it here!). I teared up for the healed party in that one. It was just so awesome and moving, and it helped to right a devastating wrong.

One of the most powerful moments for me was Rolan's fate - that left me gasping.

That part actually pissed me off. He basically saves Failes life, then Perrin comes and WHAP! he's dead. And then Faile doesn't even really feel regret or anything.

I have to say the part with Ingtar has to be one of the most memerable parts of the book for me, but I also really enjoy reading Nynaeve's healing.

Seeing this topic made me think of Egwene's dream in which she saw Perrin standing at the edge of a cliff saying "I must learn to fly before I reach the bottom."  I wonder if this refers to an even in TAR in which Perrin too will lean to soar like an eagle.

One of the most powerful moments for me was Rolan's fate - that left me gasping.

That part actually pissed me off. He basically saves Failes life, then Perrin comes and WHAP! he's dead. And then Faile doesn't even really feel regret or anything.

She doesn't feel regret yet, but I do think that this event will a consequences later.  I'm not sure what these consequences will be but I think RJ probably put this event in the book for a reason. 

She doesn't feel regret yet, but I do think that this event will a consequences later.  I'm not sure what these consequences will be but I think RJ probably put this event in the book for a reason. 

I was trying to not to put in Spoilers, Jambo, but yes - that is exactly how I felt too. I remember reading an interview/discussion with RJ where he got quite upset with people for not being shocked and horrified about the mass suicide of the people on the Seafolk islands (forgotten their name now). Well, I didn't "know" any of those people, but I "knew" Rolan, and Perin killing him like that, and Faile not even TRYING to stop him ... I was breathless with shock. And VERY pissed off!

Interesting observation, Leopoled ... I wonder what that would be.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I remember reading an interview/discussion with RJ where he got quite upset with people for not being shocked and horrified about the mass suicide of the people on the Seafolk islands (forgotten their name now). Well, I didn't "know" any of those people

Yeah... I found that very odd, the way it was presented anyway.

I mean, you get news of what is essentially the death of an entire culture, and yet ... nothing. I just though "That's pretty sad" and moved on.

Why write it in without giving any back history that might make us feel a little connected? Given that RJ can write an emotional scene, this one struck me as a little odd.

I never thought of that! Damn, I really missed that entirely. I just thought there was something wrong with ME, that I didn't give a rats hiney about some people I'd hardly heard of, suddenly offing themselves.

I posted about the suicide people about a year ago...nobody at DM seemed at all concerned...I must have been one of the very few people who RJ actually got through to.  ::)  ???  I accepted it as being caused by their prophecies and beliefs, but it still shocked me...kinda like the Jim Jones incident...hard to understand other people's thinking some times.

As was noted earlier, RJ was a master at slipping in a clue early on that you would totally miss until the event that it referenced became important later on...then you had to go back and re-read to find the original hint that you ignored on the first read...I'm on my fifth re-read and still notice things that I missed the first four times.  Here I go getting long-winded...AGAIN!  Anyway, I'll be watching for some significance of the mass-suicide in AMoL.  He didn't add it just for "filler".

I was never that bothered about Rolan's death. Maybe he didn't deserve quite so violent an end, but he had at least a good thrashing coming for the way he tried to take advantage of Faile.

Given the circumstances, I always thought that Rolan showed great restraint.  He obviously felt very deeply for Faile, and rather than use force (which certainly he could have), he was courting her.  I see Faile finding out about all of the supposed Berelain stuff with Perrin, going into one of her usual fits, and either reconsidering because of Rolan or somehow having Perrin find out and leading to a huge (and typical) Perrin/Faile blow-up.  I didn't see Faile with time to alter events at Rolan's death, and maybe we just haven't had an opportunity to see what her true emotions actually are; she did seem cold at the time, though.  I thought that she had developed some feelings for him.

True, he did repeatedly try to court a married woman who was quite clear in saying no. He wasn't that bad a guy in truth, just annoying and a creep.

As to Faile's feelings after Rolan got splatted, Perrin thought she smelt guilty and then dismissed it along the lines of "a wife deserves her secrets" or something similar.

Archived