DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your greatest regret about reading WoT

RAND AL THOR

What is your greatest regret over reading WoT?

Mine: I read the series too fast. I was too interested about what was going on and didn't read as slowly as I should have. I realize now that it spoiled quite a bit for me as reading the books at a slower pace is a separate pleasure all in itself. I berate myself all the time for this error and I'm determined to spend at least 2-3 weeks on AMOL.

I agree.  I didn't discover the series until about three years ago, and I read at a ridiculous pace when I have the time during summer.  I must have finished the whole series in a couple of weeks the first time.  I regret I didn't discover it sooner and find out about fan sites like this.  It would have been nice to discuss some of the mysteries back when they were fresh.

Hmm....I should probably regret all the countless hours I've spent reading (not to mention driving to the nearest library, half an hour away), all the money I've spent on buying books, and the time I spend on here, all instead of doing something productive. But....no....I don't. =)

I definitely agree on the reading way too fast. I pick up new things every time I re-read, but I haven't been able to slow myself down even on my fifth or sixth time through. I also wish I'd found this place sooner. Outside of this site, I have only ever known three people who had even heard of The Wheel of Time, and one of them was because I introduced him to it.

My greatest regret is not travelling to a convention or book signing so I could meet Robert Jordan before he passed. The money and time were available but I didn't want to schlepp a few hundred miles just to stand in line at a Barnes & Noble. If I could turn back time....

As to reading too fast, I noticed that issue with the first book and fixed it by restricting myself to reading while using the cardio equipment at the gym. My physical limitations keep my speed reading in check (45 minutes or the end of the current chapter). My WoT obsession makes sure I get exercise.

The irritation from Egwene.

The WoT has skewed my sense of what a good book is. Before reading the WoT I could pick up any book and read it through and get a little enjoyment out of it. Now I can't read a book if it isn't as engrossing, exciting and just plain as awesome as the WoT. Recently tried reading Children of Hurin, didn't get very far before putting it down. I guess sometimes I regret reading the WoT......nah ;)

Giving sevral of my copies of the books away. I wanted to share it with everyone that would listen. Now I only have the last 2 books in hardcover. I also have to replace most of the series. I also wish I would have went all hardcover to start. Thay are harder for me to find these days.

Guest Dreadlord

Since reading Wheel of Time, if I look at another book to read just one book seems too small now, as if it wont be enough of a story to get into. And small books now look like I could read them in 10 mins

Giving sevral of my copies of the books away. I wanted to share it with everyone that would listen. Now I only have the last 2 books in hardcover. I also have to replace most of the series. I also wish I would have went all hardcover to start. Thay are harder for me to find these days.

This I am with you on. I had all of the hardcovers except Eye of the World at one point up till Path of Daggers.

I lent all of my copies up till then, until I painfully realized that these books were not coming back!

*sigh*

I wish I could have thanked the man himself, for helping me travel farther than I ever imagined I would as a child.

Je ne regrette rien ;D

Say what?  And what language is that?

Guessing it says something like "No regrets".

*Blinks*

If you do not recognise the language, go stand in the corner and feel Shame.

Sorry, I am used to seeing accent marks in French words and phrases, I know they do not all have them I just expect it.

On top of which I thought regret was a word of Germanic origin which would reduce the likelieness of it being a French phrase.

Je ne regrette rien ;D

Say what?  And what language is that?

Guessing it says something like "No regrets".

*Blinks*

If you do not recognise the language, go stand in the corner and feel Shame.

I must feel the shame then, although I will play the I am English and therefore rubbish at any other language card.

My greatest regret is probably using WOT to get back into reading as most other books are no where near as good.

I regret not being able to retain all the characters and information well enough that I'm on my 3rd attempted reread so I can do a first time read of Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams. Also it does ruin any real interest in starting any other series since most are trilogies or less don't seem to have the epic feel.

Easy solution there is to sign up at sfbc.com and wait to purchase your commitment books till they offer the B1G1 free or the once a year B1G2 free deal and can get all the books in hardcover for $50~$60.

Also it does ruin any real interest in starting any other series since most are trilogies or less don't seem to have the epic feel.
Maybe you should try Malazan Book of the Fallen. It has some claim to being more epic than WoT.

I read too fast too. I tend to devour the last books in series (dark tower, harry potter, etc.) so quickly because I'm DYING to find out what happens. In doing so, I miss too much. I rarely take the time to think about what I'm reading, so I almost never figure things out before it's explained at the end.

I tried very hard to read Harry Potter 7 very slowly, I did. But I have a coworker who would NOT stop telling other people at work about the end, no matter how many times I yelled at him to shut up.  So I had to rush through it just so it wouldn't be ruined.

Not to mention random people walking up and down the line of people waiting for midnight so they could purchase the book, blurting out spoilers they got through the internet.

I personally do not regret starting these books when I did (back at the release of TGH if you can believe it!)

I must have read the series every time there was a new one out which became cumbersome as the series got longer, but the series has become such a huge part of my literary life that I dont regret it.

I will say that I also have the problem of reading fast to the point of it being a fault, but I have an easy fix: Download the audio books. They're great! I've picked up more listening to them than all my readings combined! So far, listening to them has been the most enjoyable reread to date.

Archived