DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Logain ?

aslansrevenge

I find it hard to believe there is evidence that being severed is like being burnt out since we havent seen anyone that has definitely been burnt out. No good saying this is how it is unless you back it up with real evidence and all thats been said on here so far is what people think. I may be wrong, but provide the evidence that was apparantly already given please as I cant find it

Setalle Anan.

And, honestly, I expect her to be Healed in aMoL.

But it hasn't happened yet, right?  Do we have any cases of burning out being healed?

I find it hard to believe there is evidence that being severed is like being burnt out since we havent seen anyone that has definitely been burnt out. No good saying this is how it is unless you back it up with real evidence and all thats been said on here so far is what people think. I may be wrong, but provide the evidence that was apparantly already given please as I cant find it

Setalle Anan.

And, honestly, I expect her to be Healed in aMoL.

But it hasn't happened yet, right?  Do we have any cases of burning out being healed?

NO

Guest Dreadlord

Satelle Anan isnt proof that severing and being burnt out are the same at all. For all we know, IF she is Healed, she might be weaker in the Power. She might not be able to be Healed. No way to tell if they are the same or not until Nynaeve studies ehr like she did with Logain, if that happens. Her name or situation doesnt prove anything

But is there a difference in being severed and being burned out.  For example, if the ability to channel is a string - being stilled/gentled would be like cutting the string in half.  The whole string is still there, just not connected.  Nynaeve's healing bridges that gap.  But being burned out is like burning the string - there is nothing left to bridge.  Could healing actually replace the string?

Ok, I think I can put the issue of stilling vs burnout to rest once and for all.  The following is a quote from The Big White Book, pg 22:

Stilling is usually done as punishment for a crime while burnout occures through overload or misuse of the power, or is the result of LOOSING TO AN ATTACK BY A GREATER POWER WHILE CHANNELING. 

To me the part in bold caps sounds an awfull lot like what Rand did to the three AS at Dummi's Wells who were later healed by Damar Flinn.  Thus this seems to imply that burnout is indeed healable.

Was the error "One the other hand?" That'd have been funny if you were talking about Rand...

No Dreadlord, that is not the error I was refering to.  Honestly the error in question is one that I thought hard core WOT fans would jump all over.  However that has not been the case so I go ahead and tell you.  The error is that I said that Logain was arrested and STILLED as a false Dragon.  Now I'm assuming that I don't have to tell you what is wrong with that.  I thought it was funny that a person who as been reading WOT for the past 15 year could make such a silly error but maybe that's just me.

Was the error "One the other hand?" That'd have been funny if you were talking about Rand...

No Dreadlord, that is not the error I was refering to.  Honestly the error in question is one that I thought hard core WOT fans would jump all over.  However that has not been the case so I go ahead and tell you.  The error is that I said that Logain was arrested and STILLED as a false Dragon.  Now I'm assuming that I don't have to tell you what is wrong with that.  I thought it was funny that a person who as been reading WOT for the past 15 year could make such a silly error but maybe that's just me.

As opposed to being stilled for being able to channel?  LOL.  I hope that wasn't me.

As opposed to being stilled for being able to channel?  LOL.  I hope that wasn't me.

No, stilled as opposed to gentled, Logain is a man.  The only way someone could be stilled as a false Dragon is if they were trying to convince the world that the pattern had pulled an Aran'gar on Lews Therin.  And no it wasn't you it was me, the error was my own and I'm making fun of myself here.  I would never be this critical of another Dragonmount member.

No, stilled as opposed to gentled, Logain is a man.  The only way someone could be stilled as a false Dragon is if they were trying to convince the world that the pattern had pulled an Aran'gar on Lews Therin.  And no it wasn't you it was me, the error was my own and I'm making fun of myself here.  I would never be this critical of another Dragonmount member.

What diffrence doe it make what you called the act of being cut off from the One Power gone is gone, this is why it was called severed in the AOL

I was thinking more of the distinction between being able to channel or not.  Declaring yourself a false dragon does not necessarily have the prerequisite of channeling ability - though it certainly helps.

but it will take both a man and a women channeler working to gether to get the pipe back to how it was before the damage happened. When Nynaeve heals it there are gaps and so the person healed can not channel as much as she did before.
Only if the male and female channeler working together are the Healer and the victim. Men Heal women, women Heal men - complete. Men Heal men, women Heal women - incomplete. Only with regards to Healing severing, as well.

I find it hard to believe there is evidence that being severed is like being burnt out.
Being stilled means you used to be able to channel but can't any more. Being burnt out means you used to be able to channel but can't any more. Being gentled means you used to be able to cannel but can't any more. It all sounds remarkably similar to me. Also, the Age of Legends used only one term - severed. If you were a channeler cut off from the source you were severed. The 3rd Age introduces arbitrary distinctions. Men are gentled. Women are stilled. Both seem to be intentional processes. Burining out is an accidental process. Now, if you wer using the 3rd Age terms, I wouldn't have a problem, but as it is you have ignored my point - there may be some difference between stilling and burning out, but there is no difference between severing and burning out, nor between severing ans stilling. SEVERING COVERS ALL TERMS. Stp trying to pretend there is a difference, there isn't. Use the damn words correctly. A difference between stilling and burning out, I can consider a difference of opinion. A difference between severing and burning out is not. Severing covers all other terms for being cut off from the Source. FACT.

Do we have any cases of burning out being healed?
NO
YES. Cyndane. The only thing supported by any evidence at all is that she was burnt out by the ter'angreal and then Healed later by a woman.

The error is that I said that Logain was arrested and STILLED as a false Dragon. Now I'm assuming that I don't have to tell you what is wrong with that.
I've actually seen that error before - so many people seem to have trouble grasping that men are gentled, women are stilled, and that severing is a blanket term for all forms of people being cut off from the Source. At least you spotted that you made the mistake, most poeple don't seem to.

Ok, I think I can put the issue of stilling vs burnout to rest once and for all.  The following is a quote from The Big White Book, pg 22:

Stilling is usually done as punishment for a crime while burnout occures through overload or misuse of the power, or is the result of LOOSING TO AN ATTACK BY A GREATER POWER WHILE CHANNELING.

To me the part in bold caps sounds an awfull lot like what Rand did to the three AS at Dummi's Wells who were later healed by Damar Flinn.  Thus this seems to imply that burnout is indeed healable.

I think that proves it.

Burnt out has referred to two things. Drawing too much of the power or doing something wrong with objects of the power. Setalle Anan did something wrong with a ter'angreal, so she was burnt out. However, this is the same as stilling. Note what the glossary states about stilling. The definition of stilling includes intentional and accidental loss of ability.

I believe Setalle Anan will be healed since that might actually convince Tuon that Aes Sedai do not need to be leashed.

If Taim senses Rand is on to him, which he might have started to do when Logain came with orders to not chose anyone from taims special classes for an unknown task, it would be very much in his interest to gather up every single one with the same allegiance as himself.

Archived