DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Three Oaths

Jehaine

So umm... What's the deal with this, in actual RP terms i mean.

Jerinia's a fairly young Aes Sedai, i expect that by the time she gets Raised we'll be at most two or three years before the mainplot.

This means that when it is time for her to take the Oaths, it'll be skirting dangerously close to the whole Rebel Aes Sedai at Salidar plot, where the Oaths would no longer have to be taken.

Actually got the idea looking at the 'Egwene and the Three Oaths' thread in General Discussions, and i guess i wanted to check here ^^;

As staff, we were actually discussing the Salidar option recently... and the opinions (for the most part) remain the same as when we had a boatload of players back in 2001 - not enough people to really sustain the two Towers set-up.

As for the actual 3 Oaths RP, I believe the basic premise is that you should include the testing before the Oaths, some of the night of reflection, and the Oaths themselves.  I am sure that Jaydena can add more to that, but that's my understanding as the most recent person to write the (bloody flipping horrid awful) things!

Actually, i'd have a suggestion to fix that.

The Rebel Aes Sedai went to Salidar after the entire situation got horribly out of hand after Siuan got sprung out of jail. Since we don't have a Siuan here (and this is a PSW to begin with) we could actually have both factions remain based in the Tower.

Salidar could still be in place as where the 'Rebel faction' would meet up with the Kin, but rather than an actual base it'd be more of a meeting point. The main issue i'm seeing with this is the involvement of the Oath Rod, since being based in the White Tower means the Oaths are pretty much inevitable.

Unless the Amyrlin decides to make the Oath Rod optional to keep both factions (more or less) under control. Based on what the Accepted would choose in taking the Oaths, they'd default to either one faction in the Tower, and it wouldn't take dozens of new members to get two Towers (not to mention two WY's) running on at least minimal occupation.

Thoughts?

Well see the main thing is that we have no reason for a split, our Tower is fairly close to united compared to the book Tower. Also though our Ammy is a Red, she is totally open to the idea of negotiations with the BT. Muir could comment more on that. We tried it from every angle and your idea might work but I still don't know that we have enough people to handle it.

I don't know about you, but if I were Amyrlin Seat, I wouldn't let a rebel faction sit around causing problems in my turf, nor would I give newly raised Aes Sedai the option to join them or you.

My two cents.

With regards to the split: I agree with Tigara and Jaydena.

Though in theory it sounds like a fun idea, I just can't see it happening in practice, the main reason being lack of players.

With regards to the 3 Oaths: I don't understand what you're saying, Jehaine.

So umm... What's the deal with this, in actual RP terms i mean.

This means that when it is time for her to take the Oaths, it'll be skirting dangerously close to the whole Rebel Aes Sedai at Salidar plot, where the Oaths would no longer have to be taken.

The novices/accepted with the Salidar group cannot get raised till the Tower is united.  The only ones who got raised there was Egwene, who then raised the other 4 for political reasons (Nynaeve, Elayne, Theodrin & her friend who's name I can't recall now) and the general feeling is this will not be allowed again. My personal belief is that Egwene will swear on the Rod the second she can lay her hands on it, and will make the other 4 do the same.

I'm not quoting your whole second post here (the fix): are you looking for a way for the AS to meet up with the Kin?

Well, it wouldn't really be a Rebel faction in that extent of the word. It'd be more of a point the Sitters (and the rest of the Tower) simply disagree on.

Take, for example, the Black Tower. In the Books, the Red Ajah is formed for the purpose of gentling men who can channel, and the thought of opening negotiations with them is about as close to heresy as they can get. The Green Ajah sees it as strengthening the forces of Light in TG, and thus disagrees with the Reds, with the rest of the Tower being somewhere between the two.

Now, as Jade mentioned in our case the Tower is pretty much open to the BT, but this was the best example i could think of. Keeping the Oaths or not wouldn't be a reason for the Tower to split unless the situation got terribly out of hand (like with Siuan), but it could nevertheless be a point of heavy discussion within the Tower.

The call to make the Oaths optional would therefore be more of a political move, as it would divert (some of) the focus from each other to influencing the Accepted into accepting the Oaths or not.

Regardless of whatever faction comes out on top, the survival of the Oaths is more or less guaranteed because they were made optional. If the 'Tower faction' is the strongest, nothing really changes as everyone keeps taking the Oaths. If the 'Salidar faction' is strongest, a lot of newly raised Aes Sedai end up not taking them, but the Oaths still remain there in case someone wants to take them. Given that an Aes Sedai can always take the Oaths later as well, the decision actually slants in favor of the Oaths slightly as well.

But that's my two cents.

-----

@ Elgee: That would also be one of the things i'm trying to achieve, yes. The 'Tower faction' would consist of the conservative Aes Sedai that will most likely try to muscle the Kin into sending their youngest members over to them, whereas the 'Salidar faction' would have the liberal Aes Sedai, that want the laws of old to change, in order to adapt. This would be close to what the liberal faction of the Kin believes in, and i can see the two helping each other out, given that the Kin in known to have quite the network of eyes and ears throughout Randland.

Yes, the Aes Sedai would still all be based in the White Tower, but like i mentioned, Salidar would be a meeting place between the liberal factions of both Kin and Aes Sedai.

I have to say I can't see how that would work. The Oaths are taken for a very specific reason and no Amyrlin Seat is going to accede to anyone not taking them. Even the Aes Sedai in Salidar don't see the Oaths as optional or unnecessary. I mean, the Oaths are the one safeguard the AS have that allows ordinary people to trust them at all. Without taking them, they can kill freely and lie freely... even if many wouldn't. I also don't believe that any AS who have taken the Oaths are at all likely to want to make them optional for new AS. Why would they? Quite apart from anything else, how would they ever have a hope of identifying Black Ajah if even legitimate AS could lie and kill?

I see, thanks. In hidnsight, i believe this is where i messed up:

The novices/accepted with the Salidar group cannot get raised till the Tower is united.  The only ones who got raised there was Egwene, who then raised the other 4 for political reasons (Nynaeve, Elayne, Theodrin & her friend who's name I can't recall now) and the general feeling is this will not be allowed again. My personal belief is that Egwene will swear on the Rod the second she can lay her hands on it, and will make the other 4 do the same.

I guess i remembered the part where Egwene was raised, as well as the other four, and figured it was a policy change rather than simply the absence of an Oath Rod. Oh well, better to ask than to assume, anyway ;D.

No worries; we all have random brilliant ideas or theories that turn out to be completely wrong or unworkable; I had myself half-convinced for a few days that Moiraine was a sul'dam with Tuon, when it clearly stated it was another former Sister >__<

Ok I see what happened, thanks for helping to clear that up everyone. Believe me, I thought the split would be cool but it just won't work, so it's something we live without. *G* We will have other cool rps coming our way, such as the cleansing, etc.

I have some thoughts on the matter, which would tie into some other things.. and all the ideas can come compliments of miss Eadon's brilliant returning RP :D

I love being part of something brilliant and not even knowing it  ;D

Elgee - It's on the board for wherever Tarabon is (west? maybe?). So far it's just my post  :P (unless that's changed in the past 24 hours).