DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Oh dear god, what's wrong with me?

I've volunteered to teach a cooking class as an elective next fall.

A cooking class.

Knives. Hot stoves. Highly impulsive middle schoolers with behavior disorders.

I'm going to get stabbed, aren't I?

The Dear LOVE god?  :-*

You are Crazy, Dear Mother.  I wouldn't do that with middle schoolers who didn't have a behavior disorder.  I remember MY cooking class in middle school.  The last class of the day either didn't have time to do their dishes or they just didnt want to.  Either way... they put them in the oven instead of cleaning them.  My group turned on the oven without checking it first and as far as I know, to this day, that teacher has an interesting melted plastic sculpture sitting in her classroom as a reminder to future students.

I have to be nuts. I've been doing "international Food" for the last several weeks with my International Studies elective. I haven't been stabbed yet, but it's only been three weeks.  So far we've made a Lebanese salad, hummus, sushi, pad thai noodles, and fried rice.  We're doing sweet potato tempura tomorrow and pasta with marinara sauce next week.  And then I think I'm done. They are begging for "just one more week!" so we can do Mexican food though.

But yeah. They like it so much (three of them have "chef" listed as their vocational goal for their IEP) and everyone is so impressed with their offerings, everyone is saying "You should teach this!".  Even the teacher that runs the Culinary Arts club on Fridays is telling me to do it. He says it'll take the pressure off enrollment in his group.

And I think we should make candy next year. No knives, but the addition of boiling hot sugar should be interesting.

The students might really enjoy the culinary class enough to not misbehave all the time. If the subject matter is constantly changing it should keep their interests. It's also hands-on and will give them a chance to try something new and something they most likely do not know how to do or get a chance to do at home. It would be like a shop class, just with food. Just don't keep the knives out too long...

Oh and Naeann...you are now assassinated.

Cleo, I'll make you treats myself. My kids aren't bad cooks, but they are still kids.

And you're right LeeLou, I don't have behavior issues when we're cooking. Most of their issues are due to neurology, not malice anyways. The problem I have is they forget things. One of the kids has issues with boundaries and personal space. He's always just an inch or two too close to you. He's also the guy that forgets he's holding a chef's knife and talks with his hands. Gah!

Oooh! And last week when we were toasting pita chips in the oven, I turned around and saw that one my lower functioning kids was sitting in a folding chair next to the stove and had the oven door open in his lap. I had asked him to watch the chips and make sure they didn't burn and apparently the window wasn't clean enough for him to see through.

Good times.

I don't think you have to worry about feeding me Kath, I'm not sure I'll survive the first day. Apparently I've got a price on my head, and there'll be plenty of people dressed as bounty hunter's there.

Kath... how could you not know? I love to cook, therefore, I love to eat. Though these days I am eating less "junk" Will you be bringing junk, Kath?

Well Eadon, at least there will be one person there that I have met! Going to be in the parade?? Kelly and I are, I hope.

I haven't decided if I'll be in the parade or not. The only outfit I have (the one from Sere's wedding) will be hot as hell for Atlanta in the summer. Unless it's cool to walk in jeans, a tee shirt, and a shawl  :P Even then, it'll probably be a Red shawl as I don't have a proper Green one (unless I manage to knit one in time).

The parade is in the early part of the day, before it gets too hot.  We will probably have a few "dress down" people carry the memorial banner, probably in JordanCon t-shirts. We'll loan you a shirt if you'd rather not purchase one.

Archived