DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why is Min such an unpopular character?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never liked her. Never. I mean she is important for some reasons such as her "sight" and making Rand happy... which are two very important things... but she just seems like half a person and kind of selfish (after all 3 women bonded Rand she thought in her head about idea of all 3 women marrying him and how it was ridiculous and wondered 'who was really going to marry him). I think she truly wants Rand for herself... while Elyane and Aviendha have excepted sharing him. I also may not like her because Elayne and Aviendha both have such a great friendship that they are "sisters" and if you look at polygamy the wives consider each other "sister wives" and are sometimes closer with their 'sister wives' than they are with their actual husbands. Min is so distant from the other two. Plus Elayne and Aviendha are so independent and help Rand even though they cannot be with him all the time. They love him just as deeply. I know alot of people do not like this about Elayne and Aviendha... but I think it makes them better, stronger characters. However I would love to see Elayne and Aviendha get to spend more time with Rand. Am I wrong or when Elayne and Rand were "together" for the first time didn't Min say that Aviendha would have babies by Rand? So when is thing going to happen? Ha ha. It's not that I hate Min I just think she could do a few things to improver her image.

I'm re-reading all the books (again,again) and have only just last night read the part where Min, Elayne & Avi finally hook up with Rand & bond him. Min does say that Avi will have Rand's kids, four of them, and that there was something 'odd' about that. quote, unquote.

Guest Fire Lord

I STRONGLY disagree with anyone who thinks Min has no purpose there. She and Aviendha are the female characters that I'm excited to read about. Egwene, Nynaeve, Elyane, I have to struggle not just scan the pages. Faile... let's not talk about her. I understand why most people dislike her.

Guest Egwene

I like all the female characters for one reason or another. Egwene's chapters are definately the ones I look forward to most.

As many people were saying... Min doesn't really have a pro-active role at the moment. Which kind of pushes her to the side lines. Every other time she now has her head in those books and that just isn't as much fun to read about as let's say Egwene's encounters with the tower Aes Sedai. However, the way she acts and talks... I feel sure most of us would have a great time in her company.

Maybe the question is not whether we like Min the person, but whether we feel that she has been given a big enough part in the story.

I think Egwene nailed it. I mean, we never heard of Mat or Perrin's POV until later in EOTW. Mat might not have been until TGH since he was messed up in EOTW from the Shadar Logoth dagger.

If Min had more chapters given her we might come to like her more (I like her now anyway).

I'd have to say that my 3 favorite female characters are;

Min

Tuon

Faile

In that order. I just love Min's POV and I love the way that Tuon just pisses Mat off and everything. I used to like the same thing about Faile and Perrin but I've kinda stoped liking her as much in the last few books.

Min is an awesome character, if not for her, Rand would've gone completely insane on the way to Dumai's Wells. If saving her hadn't been so important to him, he would've given over to the madness and then where would we be?

Stop dissing on Min!! She may not be as exciting as an Aes Sedai, but she's just as important!!

I've never said I disliked Min. I said I wish RJ would give her a more interesting role like she had in the beginning. Yes, she keeps Rand in check and yes this is important, but no it isn't really interesting for me to read about her. She used to be really interesting. I want to see her get back to that again. I miss that Min.

Sorry I just think Min is just boring as a person. Her POV is even boring. No offense... because I know how y'all love her. Their is something in her personality that just irks me. She just seems so selfish to me. This is all opinion, so it doesn't really matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Min is cool. She's one of the more down to earth female characters in this series. Also, she gets steadily cuter as the series progresses, from TEOTW to KoD. She reminds me of one of those girls in high school who looks plain in early life (if not unattractive), but later on in life starts to realize she is beautiful. I've known a some girls in high school with weight problems, braces, acne, unkempt hair, that kind of thing. Later on in my life, they turned out to be... beautiful. And the ones who were cute in high school, actually turned out to be not so attractive later on in life.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay my first post!

Anyway, I personally neither like nor dislike Min. Her future-reading thing is cool, but I sometimes find her quite irritating. Don't have my book with me but there are several times where she complains/gossips about Rand. I mean...it's fine when she says it to his face that he's a "wool-brained fool" or the like, but to me, her prattling just annoys me. Then again, I agree that she has helped to keep Rand sane, not to mention her nifty knife-skills.

Just my opinion...

I have to say I agree with being pretty neutral about Min. Out of the female characters, Faile, Tuon and Cadsuane are actually the enjoyable ones to me. Independent and strong willed. My problem with Min is that, lately, she's served, at best, as Rand's stability point. But a good point was made early in this thread. She distracts Rand from focusing on the tasks at hand. I liked her more in Rand's visit to the Cairhinien rebels, but not terribly much since then.

Archived