DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

any suggestions?

dragonashe

I`ve arleady read and enyojed greatly some of those;

Wot, Sot,Lotr of course, then almost all Terry Brooks books, Raimond Feist and Martin George books... heh I`m big fan of dragons...so I liked those very much too; Elizabeth Haydon Symphony of ages...Elizabeth Kerner books, Mercedes Lackey Halfblood chronicles and Obsidian trilogy,Bertin Joanne; Dragonlords, Cook Dawn; Truth series...

...dont like books like Malazan empire...I get confussed...and those by Robin Hobb (dont like his stile of writting), hate Stephen Kings books too  ::)

anybody know any series/books similar to those I like? :)

some book similar to wot but with dragons (shapeshifting or normal) would be great...but I cant find any... :(

Have you read any of Anne McCaffrey's Pern Books? Absolutely loads of Dragons there ;) Not amazing books but some of them are decent :)

We have quite a few threads like this around here so poke through them and have a look and see what people think.

We really should have a book recommendation thread stickied at the top or something!

yeah I read it...and yes I didnt like Pern very much...better for me was Paolini's Inheritance series and E.E. Knight's Age of fire series...

I read Naomi Novik books too(some people like them very much)However her characters in books are to plain for my taste...read classic like Dickson Gordon Dragon Knight series-> enyojed his system of magic and dragon shifting I`ve arleady read dragon books by those authors too;Graham Edwards, Briggs Patricia, Donita K. Paul Alan F. Troop... 

Guest leebarr

First Stephen King rules. Right behind RJ as the best writer. McCaffrey's are good but not great, they will fill your time when not much to do

lol I did write in my first post in this topic that I -hate- Stephen King and his Dark tower(dont know why but I do)... ::)(I read first book in this series...) and I read Mcaffrey's books...hmm little epic in her books...and her dragons are boring...have very little emotions and personality...more like robots or animals...dont like that kind of dragons...

I`ve taken a look in other topics...nothing new that I dont know off...most of it I read arleady...

• 3 weeks later...

hmm I've came across this series by Kerr Katharine;

Act One: the Deverry books

• Daggerspell

• Darkspell

• The Bristling Wood (Dawnspell)

• The Dragon Revenant (Dragonspell)

Act Two: The Westlands

• A Time of Exile

• A Time of Omens

• Days of Blood and Fire (A Time of War)

• Days of Air and Darkness (A Time of Justice)

Act Three: The Dragon Mage

• The Red Wyvern

• The Black Raven

• The Fire Dragon

• The Gold Falcon

can somebody who arleady read it tell me if this series is any good? (are there any familiarities with wot or tsot?)

it has very good rating on amazon and other sites....and ton of fans...but...

and in act three are there any DRAGONS....or they are only in title...lol ??

Well, if you like Historical Fiction, you should try the Pendragon Cycle, which is based on Arthurian Legend. It's a very good read.

Aside from that, if you want something a little different, and enjoy the magic side of things, try the Night Watch trilogy by Sergei Lutvanyenko. They're set in modern times, but are brilliant.

lol Terry Goodking, is it now?... or is it maybe "Goodkind"? Whatever I have read TSot by Terry Goodkind many times...as for Historical Fiction I don't like to read it if there is not a lot of magic in it...and usually Historical Fiction books are all alike more or less which I don't like either:)

no I prefer epic fantasy...epic heroic fantasy...with a little romance flavor in it...

and thanks  Raena for information about Kerr Katharine books ;)....(could you maybe give another hint if dragons have any major role in it or only minor...as support characters in the story? :))

hey raena, nice lenore!

you could always try some old school.  check out robert e. howard, particularly conan (not the posthumous pastiches which are crap), and solomon kane.

howard was just as influential on the fantasy genre at large as tolkien, in his own way, though comparing the two directly isn't really appropriate.

HP lovecraft is also very good, despite a few failings, shared by howard.  read them and you'll see what i mean.

robert jordan did some conan books (6 in total), though i don't find them as good.

if you haven't read it, i'd highly recommend robin hobb's farseer trilogy, and its sequels.

Hey dude! Yeah, she really is a cute little dead girl isn't she?

dragonashe, it's been a while since I read the books but if memory serves dragons will play a bigger part in the later books.

she's just about the prettiest dead little girl i've seen today.  ;D

though i've always found johnny more entertaining, personally.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, if you like ASoIaF, then check out Acacia by David Anthony Durham. So far only the first book has been released but it was extraordinary, one of the best I've read. There are no "Dragons" so far per say, but creatures called antoks appear to be very close to dragons, dragons like RJ's dragons, the ones with no wings. If you are looking for scenes where dragon-like creatures cause massive damage to opposing armies, then you won't be disappointed.

Hey, if you like ASoIaF, then check out Acacia by David Anthony Durham. So far only the first book has been released but it was extraordinary, one of the best I've read. There are no "Dragons" so far per say, but creatures called antoks appear to be very close to dragons, dragons like RJ's dragons, the ones with no wings. If you are looking for scenes where dragon-like creatures cause massive damage to opposing armies, then you won't be disappointed.

;D thanks for suggestion...it sounds like really awesome book!  :) I will start reading it as soon as I finish Codex Alera ;)

Anything by Terry Pratchett is great.  Much more humor than other fantasy books.  He mixes a lot of mystery/crime solving and a lot of satire along with common fantasy things.  His books keep getting better and better IMO and the great thing is you can read any one and still understand the plot without having read his first 20 or so.  Even though all the books are in the Discworld universe they are all individual stories.  My favorites of his are Night Watch, Making Money, Thud, Going Postal, and Men at Arms.  His books are written in several "series" and although you dont have to read them in order, I would just to get a better understanding of the characters.  His characters are what drives the stories and they are very dynamic people.  The Wizards series starring Rincewind is a good start but my favorite is the City Watch series starting with Guards, Guards.  Plus there is a dragon in that one.  One of his newer series is the Moist Von Lipwig books, Going Postal and Making money thus far.  So check him out.  He was Britains number one selling author before Rowling came along.

Dune is another good series, although I have only read the first two books, and they are more Sci-Fi than fantasy. 

Ursula Leguin is loved by many.  For a more modern fantasy, Kim Harrison and Laurell K Hamilton are decent reads if you like vampires.

I almost forgot, one of my personal top 5 authors is R.A. Salvatore.  The Demon Wars series is outstanding but can get a little preachy towards the end of the series.  A little too much repitition in the message but still an amazing series.  Dont let the name of the series fool you.  This is a series about people and relationships and not all about demons.  I thought it was a poor choice of a title to be honest.  There are dragons in here as well.  Salvatore is the best in the business at writing action and fighting scenes in my opinion and his dialogs are great as well.  The action scenes are what stands out.  You will fly through the pages because his descriptions are so marvelous.  Not overdone on details but specific enough that you feel you are there.  His Forgotten Realms books starring Drizzt are great as well but it is very very very D&D fantasy.  Skip his latest books Promise of the Witch King and the one before that.  They felt like he was just re-telling a session of D&D.

One book I really enjoyed but did not follow up on the sequels was The Rover by Mel Odom.

Tad Williams is another good author.

If you haven't read Harry Potter than you MUST do that NOW.  That would be number one on my list if I hadn't already read it. 

To sum it up go for Harry Potter first, a few Terry Pratchett books, The Demon Wars by RA Salvatore, and if those dont hook you than I dont know what will.

Thanks jmashore!!  As soon as I'm done with the book I'm currently reading (One flew over the cuckoo's nest, a VERY good read) I am going to read the second of the Demon series. I really enjoyed the first one and I was hoping to hear from someone else who had read the book. I really enjoyed his character build up and how he moved around to all the characters very smoothly.

• 1 month later...

Sarah Ash - Tears of Artamon series - Lord of Snow and Shadows 01, Prisoner of the Iron Tower 02, Children Of The Serpent Gate 03 rules....;D really it's amazing  ;) can't stop reading it...dragon-daemons and all that...

and thanks jmashore for list...but there is very little I like there or which I haven't read yet...

anyone? some books that are hard to track down like Sara Ash's and with dragons??

Archived