DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Anime] Do you watch anime?

SinisterDeath

i consider myself still a newbie in anime.

apart from stuff on morning tv when i was a kid like Pokemon and Sailor moon

iv'e only seen Azumanga Daioh and Death Note, both were completely awesome.

i tried Code Geass but i couldn't get into it at all.

also saw a bit of the first episode of Elfen Lied and just went WTF. is that show any good? i don't understand it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also saw a bit of the first episode of Elfen Lied and just went WTF. is that show any good? i don't understand it.

I'm kinda surprised you liked Death Note but not Code Geass; they get compared a lot and for good reason (superficially Lelouch and Light are alike, though with huge differences if you look a bit more closely).

If you liked Death Note give Bakuman a go. I really like it and its from the same writers of Death Note. Its more slice of life but I'd consider it among the most enjoyable manga out there. Not seen its anime yet.

As far as Elfen Lied goes, it depends. I've never watched it but I know its seinen. Try watching and/or reading something aimed at that demographic- if it does it for you, try Elfen Lied again.

ETA: Also, try Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The manga was awesome and from what I've seen of its anime, its just as great w/ practically no filler material.

• Community Administrator

I thought I posted this list here, but I came up with a list of anime everyone should at least watch one episode of, it gives you a little bit of everything of every genre of anime.

GTO

Black Lagoon

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Yakitate!!

D. Gray-Man

Baccano!

Pumpkin Scisors

Chobits

Desert Punk

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

FMA: Brotherhood

White Album

what does seinen mean?

The four main demographic labels in anime and manga are shounen, shoujo, seinen, and josei. Shounen is aimed at young boys (Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach are the "Big 3" of shounen), shoujo at young girls, josei and older girls and women and seinen at older guys and men.

Berserk is a well known seinen, as is Elfen Lied. I've mentioned the three best known shounen out today but you also have things like Dragonball Z, Prince of Tennis, Hajime no Ippo, Eyeshield 21, etc at shounen. Shoujo is like shounen, only marketed towards girls (Yumeiro Patissiere, etc) Josei is probably the most difficult to find stuff and no examples spring immediately to mind.

Azumanga Daioh, mentioned earlier, is actually seinen too.

• 3 weeks later...

A few years back, under a different user name, I suggested something that made alot of the people on the main boards quite annoyed.

It was a question of "what form of Media (TV/Movies) would be better" when it came to putting the WoT out there.

I suggeseted it should be done Anime style. I think you guys will give me a little more love on this. 2 main things really.

Getting older: Get some japanese animators and make/do everything else in America. Solves all your problems. The WoT takes place over 2+ years (so far). To get through any of the books might take 1. So if you did all the shows it would take years and years. The way to defeat that is have it be where the characters don't look like they are getting older.

Inner dialogue: Our favorite series has as much if not more people talking to themselves then I have ever read elsewhere. That is done through ANime quite well, whereas, having to spell out internal feelings externally normally comes off as cheesy in most movies/shows.

What do you all think?

I'm kinda surprised you liked Death Note but not Code Geass; they get compared a lot and for good reason (superficially Lelouch and Light are alike, though with huge differences if you look a bit more closely).

maybe that's exactly why i didn't like Code Geass because they are so similar.

i think i tried Geass just one or two days after i finished Death Note and didn't want another one in roughly the same style

maybe that's exactly why i didn't like Code Geass because they are so similar.

i think i tried Geass just one or two days after i finished Death Note and didn't want another one in roughly the same style

Thing is, they aren't the same style.

Death Note is more Emo, Code Geass is more 'Stop your whining!'. ;)

And the 'premise' may involve a 'smart' kid getting some kind of power over 'life and death', but its not all the same power, like in death note, everyone who gets the notebook, can do the same thing. In Code Geass, theres more.

And besides, Code Geass is actually closer to a MECH anime then it is to the 'detective' style of Death Note.

Its actually worth watching, But the ending, much like that of Death Notes, kinda sucks, Course they do leave it 'open' enough to make one wonder... Not that Death Note leaves any room for interpertation.

To talk a bit more about the Code Geass and Death Note comparison:

I really don't like it from anything other than a superficial standpoint. The characters of Lelouch and Light are completely different with motivations that are totally different beyond the extremely shallow "make the world a better place". The only true similarity between them is a belief that the ends justify the means. At the end of the series Light was pretty clearly a villain and a madman. This isn't true of CG.

I'd say that Death Note wins out on actually having well thought out plot-lines that make sense and make you truly believe Light's a very, very smart man. Code Geass has sillier plots but handles its characters better. They have better motivations that come through more clearly, reasons behind their goals, and reasons they do what they do.

Its really worth a watch through. If you're in the US you can watch the first season on Crunchyroll for free and legally. Give it a go.

And I'm one that says the ending was great. Especially due to how vague it happened to be. I still kinda hope for a season 3 one day but don't expect it. We will be seeing more things that take place in the Geass world though.

Just watched this new anime called

Kore wa Zombie desu ka.

The plot is basically, the main character has been killed, a necromancer from the underworld revives him as a zombie, and he tries to locate his murderer.

He then meets a magic girl archetype anime character named Haruna. She has a Chainsaw. Somehow or another, he steals her power (kinda like Ichigo did to whats her face thats always getting stabbed to death) And she commands him to take her place. (outfit and all)

Aikawa Ayumu is a normal high school boy. One day he is killed by a serial killer and revived as a zombie by a necromancer named Eucliwood Hellscythe. He starts to serve Eu as her guard but he happens to deprive the mahou shoujo Haruna of her magic power. Haruna orders Ayumu to fight against the anti-mahou shoujo system "Megalo" in her place.

The first episode was just ridiculously funny, and making fun of all anime genre cliches. Hopefully episode 2 gets even funnier.

• 2 weeks later...

just started watching Elfen Lied and it is freaky.

3 episodes in, not sure if i like it yet.

and what's with all the random nudity?

i'm not complaining, i don't have anything against nudity but if it's just there for cheap fanservice i could do without it

So I've been watching some old Bleach...

Honestly, old Bleach was pretty awesome. Even Soul Society was alright, though the actual melee part of the fights are inferior to things like Ichigo fighting Grand Fisher and its not nearly as dark in its plot or themes (Seriously, watch the kid in a canary arc if you never have). I really wish I had a series that was as awesome as old Bleach to watch.

I've also watched the non-filler of new Bleach. Honestly, its good, in a sort of "I guess its the new DBZ" sorta way. Its a few steps up from what the manga did and the animation has been fantastic for Aizen. God Ichigo should be appearing this Tuesday but it may be another week or more if we get filler. I hope we get an episode or three of filler of God Ichigo fighting Aizen and they animate Mugetsu well.

I also began watching Cross Game on Hulu. Good solid story, IMO. Give it a watch- its a baseball anime, with a pretty nice plot going for it. Not the typical sports anime.

I've watched D-Gray Man and read a good chunk of it. I might wanna pick up where I left off, wherever was, though it lost my interest at some point.

ETA: Besides, Gin's dead! I think. I mean we never got it confirmed but he's not accounted for yet and Butterflaizen took him down. Kind of a shame, too, as his power was actually awesome when animated. Unlike how absurd it seemed drawn.

I can't recall who this Gin is.

Only Gin I know of is in Bleach...

D.Gray Man they had only 2, maybe 3 seasons 'animated', mostly due to the Manga Authors lack of heatlh, followed by Legal disputes. (there was some person who had an issue with one scene, because it involved a semi-similar 'tentacle hand' type thing, but otherwise all the other panels/ect were different.

It only recnetly got back on track, and imo It got better. (the manga)

Bleach Gin is dead. In a decently awesome scene, though the background of it was poorly written. I mean really poorly written with no one really understanding anything about it in the manga and the anime really doing no better.

I'm probably going to check out Hunter x Hunter before D-Gray Man. The creator made Yu Yu Hakusho and I'm a hundred or so chapters in and find it decent.

I'm more looking for another Clannad or, failing that, Code Geass than anything. I might try the Bakuman anime... but I think as a series it probably works much better in manga form.

I enjoyed D. Gray-Man. I'm hoping that they make more of it. I heard there might be more in Japanese in the next year or two. I hope that's true. Hunter X Hunter got high reviews from my brother, so it's another one I need to get around to watching.

I have watched....several dozen anime so far, and enjoyed most of them to varying degrees. Personal favorites include Fullmetal Alchemist (yes both the original anime and Brotherhood, having read the Manga all the way through :wink: I have to say I enjoy all of the FMA incarnations), Solty Rei, Full Metal Panic, Meikin Jolie..... well honestly I think the list is probably too long. If you want to know if I have seen/have an opinion on a particular anime, feel free to ask! If I haven't seen it, I'd love your opinions and suggestions on what to watch next. :smile:

Archived