DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Most Badass Us Presidents

JenniferL

Ok, I admit it. You're cooler than us.

I do love our old Gough Whitlam, who has become a bit of a left-wing legend in Aus:

"Whitlam led the Labor Party to victory at the 1972 election after 23 years of Liberal-Country Party government in Australia. After winning the 1974 election, he was dismissed in 1975 by Governor-General Sir John Kerr following a protracted constitutional crisis caused by a refusal of opposition Coalition members to pass Supply Bills in the Australian Senate, and lost the subsequent 1975 election. He is the only Australian Prime Minister to be dismissed by the Governor-General, using reserve powers. Although his government spent a relatively short time in office, many of the policies and institutions set up under it are still evident today, such as Medicare. His 'presidential' style of politics, the socially progressive policies he pursued, and the dramatic dismissal and subsequent election loss still arouse intense passion and debate."

A note: "Liberal" in Australia is not in any way left-wing, in fact it's extremely conservative, so much so that our Liberals sided with Georgy Bush and sent us to war when most of us didn't want to go!

Right. Our badass presidents keep alligators in the White House and fight duels. Australia's start farsighted social welfare programs before being removed from office using obscure parliamentary procedures. I'm pretty sure that if Congress had tried to impeach Teddy Roosevelt, he would have slapped the eyebrows off the Senate.

Our current Pm used to be quite the basketball player in his youth, that's kinda gangsta... ;D

Really? I'll never look at him the same way again.  :o

;D

And it does not end with him. look at Anders Borg, ponytail and blingbling. And Carl Bildt showing up at...was it the Grammis awards?, wearing a suit only a pimp would wear.

This is not a government, this is a posse ;D

Archived