DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What's Up With Thom??

Quote:

But I don't think that was it, I think it was more because Seachen had many spies and could study certain peoples histories... And they would not be surprised if Thom suddenly showed a massive talent in generaling.

No, I think it was because one of the Seanchen "Listeners" got a little suspicious of a gleeman who was friends with the Queens Toy, had had a relationship with A.S. that had recently departed, had friendships with the high and low, in other words a  master spy. Also remember Farouk(sp) thought he might have been one of the great generals in disguise.

In CoT, ch 4, Karede is visited by the Seeker who knocked Thom out as he was guarding Elayne and Nynaeve's door in Tanchico (Almurat Mor, see TSR ch 52).  This Seeker informs him of his personal theory that the kidnapping of Tuon is part of a larger conspiracy involving Egeanin, and the Tower, and possibly Suroth.  He believes that Thom is an agent for the Tower (in part because of events in Tanchico).  This is probably the main reason that Karede latches onto the idea of Thom being the Tower's agent in charge and possibly a Great Captain in disguise ... the Seeker told him so.

Quote:

But I don't think that was it, I think it was more because Seachen had many spies and could study certain peoples histories... And they would not be surprised if Thom suddenly showed a massive talent in generaling.

No, I think it was because one of the Seanchen "Listeners" got a little suspicious of a gleeman who was friends with the Queens Toy, had had a relationship with A.S. that had recently departed, had friendships with the high and low, in other words a  master spy. Also remember Farouk(sp) thought he might have been one of the great generals in disguise.

But I thought that the Listeners were a section of the spy network that the Seachan had, maybe I'm wrong but if I'm right, couldn't that information been filtered through to the higher-ups. Which if RAW said, would be the Seeker, and in turn would be Karede or the "rescue team."

Quote:

[iBut I thought that the Listeners were a section of the spy network that the Seachan had, maybe I'm wrong but if I'm right, couldn't that information been filtered through to the higher-ups][/i]

No you are correct. My statement was based on your use of the term "looking up histories". I thought you meant that they had discovered that Thom had been Morgase's advisor in Andor.  But, I'm in agreement with you that the Listeners reported their findings/suspicions to higher ups and that is how the Death Watch General came to believe that Thom may have been one of the great generals.

• 1 month later...

Archived