DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Benefits of beeing a DF?

Paradox

So I’ve been thinking, what’s in it for the dark friends? We all know that they been promised power and life eternal, but can that be it?

From the readers point of view their lives  seems pretty harsh, I mean they have to kill, maim and worse on the commands of higher ranking followers of the DO (and there is always someone above you). And for what? A vague promise that most of them can’t logically believe will be kept, after all DF’s have been around for thousands of years and most of them are dead.

So can there be any more immediate benefits? Like the ones you could expect from being a member of an organized criminal organization, money, some power, protection and so on. Or something else that effects your daily life and thus making the risks worth it all. 

So I’ve been thinking, what’s in it for the dark friends? We all know that they been promised power and life eternal, but can that be it?

LOL ... thats a pretty good benefits package ... if it were true.

But, Jordan addressed the idea of the unbelievability of the Dark One's promises.  He said, quote:

Can they trust the Dark One? You're right; he isn't very trustworthy or loyal. Greed leads people to believe strange things, to excuse the most abhorrent behavior on their parts-just check out the nightly news for confirmation-and at the root, that is what motivates the Forsaken and, in truth, most Darkfriends. Greed for power, greed for immortality. That makes them believe, because they want to believe.

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=152

So can there be any more immediate benefits? Like the ones you could expect from being a member of an organized criminal organization, money, some power, protection and so on. Or something else that effects your daily life and thus making the risks worth it all.

From what we've seen, there aren't.  Pretty much, you're on your own, unless the Dark One needs you to do something, in which case you're expected to drop everything and take care of it.  Higher Darkfriends do have the benefits of commanding those lower in the hierarchy, but are subjected to such scrutiny from above that it doesn't really seem worth it, to me (Jaichim Carridin, anyone?).

I think Ailhuin Guenna said it best, in TDR ch 48:

"As for Darkfriends ... Maryim, when you are as old as I, you'll learn that false Dragons are dangerous, lionfish are dangerous, sharks are dangerous, and sudden storms out of the south; but Darkfriends are fools.  Filthy fools, but fools."

DFs get power, or more of it.  Their enemies tend to disappear and they can take many liberties without censure.  They are nihilistic high-stake gamblers and avid Ayn Rand readers.  In other words they are narrow, greedy, and stupid.

Yes some seem to be able to make their enemies disappear, but I get the feeling that they are a selected few. I don’t really see the connection between DF’s and Ayn Rand who seems to be a rationalist (although my knowledge of here comes from a quick glance at Wikipedia). Wouldn’t a post modern ideology, where right and wrong can be seen as a subjective constructs, be more fitting? Or something inspired by Nietzsche (depending on how you read him).

Greed leads people to believe strange things, to excuse the most abhorrent behavior on their parts-just check out the nightly news for confirmation-and at the root, that is what motivates the Forsaken and, in truth, most Darkfriends. Greed for power, greed for immortality. That makes them believe, because they want to believe.

I could by this argument if it where concerning a few disillusioned souls. But to gather such a massive following, only offering a distant unlikely award, doesn’t seem feasible (I know, it is RJ world and he can do what he wants). Maybe my question should’ve been “don’t you think there should be more incentives for becoming a DF?” Making the cult/organization more plausible. 

Higher Darkfriends do have the benefits of commanding those lower in the hierarchy, but are subjected to such scrutiny from above that it doesn't really seem worth it, to me (Jaichim Carridin, anyone?).

My point exactly.

I've always wondered if they had secret society benefits- DFs giving other DFs social leg-ups.

That would make sense, but they all seem to loath each other.

I could by this argument if it where concerning a few disillusioned souls. But to gather such a massive following, only offering a distant unlikely award, doesn’t seem feasible

It is an unfortunate fact of human nature that large numbers of people do stupid things for bad reasons.

Smoking, anyone?  Tobacco or marijuana, your choice.  Crack, heroine?  Unprotected sex with prostitutes?  Or cheerleaders? (OK, that one was a little low)

My point is, as crappy as the Sword of Truth series became, the Wizard's First Rule does, unfortunately, apply.  People are stupid.

Dark Friends get nifty name cards and lapel pins when they join. A.Rand was an Objectivest, and Terry Goodkind is the perfect example of a Darkfriend. 8) 8)
Goodkind isn't a darkfriend; he's only a self-righteous ideologue. And a hack. And kind of pompous.
So you're saying that being a Darkfriend would constitute an improvement in his character, as they tend to be less sel-righteous and pompous?

So you're saying that being a Darkfriend would constitute an improvement in his character, as they tend to be less sel-righteous and pompous?

Well, unless you're Padan Fain or one of the Chosen, if you follow the Great Lord of the Dark you have to be prepared to follow anyone placed above you in the various councils, so I'd imagine there isn't much room for hubris, and if it's there it's quickly corrected.

So yes, becoming a DF would be an improvement.

As another perk for being a DF, the membership card gives you access to the Darkfriends' lounge at the airport and 10% off dinner at Red Lobster. Followers of the Dark One love lobster.

As another perk for being a DF, the membership card gives you access to the Darkfriends' lounge at the airport and 10% off dinner at Red Lobster. Followers of the Dark One love lobster.

Makes sense darkfriends would like lobster. It's rich. It's indulgent. Most of all, it's ritually unclean. Darkfriends hate kashrut.

Archived