DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Robert Jordan on the cover of Knife of Dreams

Aguilar

I thought it was Perrin too.  However, I was doing a google search and the cover of KoD popped up next to that ever popular picture of Mr. Jordan from the back inside cover of all of his books.  Take away the hat and glasses, and put him in a white shirt, and you have the guy on the cover of KoD.

Pah, the more I look at the covers, the more i realize that whoever drew the covers had no idea what was in the books themselves.  He realy did a piss poor Job for The Great hunt, Lanfear looks way to ordinary, Rand looks nothing like he is described and Ogier look nothing like what he drew.  The least the guy could have done was at least read the books!!!! And do not even get me started on how he portrays the Trolloc's.

i realize that whoever drew the covers had no idea what was in the books themselves.  He realy did a piss poor Job for The Great hunt, Lanfear looks way to ordinary, Rand looks nothing like he is described and Ogier look nothing like what he drew.  The least the guy could have done was at least read the books!!!! And do not even get me started on how he portrays the Trolloc's

In Daryl Sweet's defense (The guy who does the coverart).  He is not given the opportunity to read the book before drawing the cover.  He is given a very small snippet (a few pages at best) of the novel by the publisher and told to come up with a cover.  Sometimes this works (PoD) sometimes it doesn't (TGH).  He actually explained this at Dragoncon a couple of years ago and its not really his fault.

In Daryl Sweet's defense (The guy who does the coverart).  He is not given the opportunity to read the book before drawing the cover.  He is given a very small snippet (a few pages at best) of the novel by the publisher and told to come up with a cover.  Sometimes this works (PoD) sometimes it doesn't (TGH).  He actually explained this at Dragoncon a couple of years ago and its not really his fault.

Hmm ... I'm not so charitably inclined here ... he could at least get the main characters' rough descriptions correct.

To use the KoD cover as an example, Perrin has curly dark brown hair and yellow eyes.  Thats not what the person on the cover has.  This wasn't exactly an unknown secret ...

But the cover art isn't any worse than most cover art.  I'm just not impressed with cover art in general.

Does anyone know if the UK Trade Paperback editions come in Hardcover (I'm Canadian but I like the covers)? I would like to buy a hardcover wheel of time set as my PB's are utterly destroyed (even my Knife of Dreams hardcover actually). But I would like an extra set in any case, so I can read my old ones, and have the new ones when the old ones actually fall apart. Though Crossroads of Twilight's cover fell off the other day.

For me I hate coverart. I always find it ruins my perception of the character if i see how someone else sees them. The Creator knows I can't read LotR without seeing the movie cast anymore.

Thats why my whole set are hardcover minus the dust covers. Makes them look really neat like a more traditional set of books. Just gotta be careful with em :) As one should be anyway with the holy.. uh what do you call an eleven part equivilent of a trilogy? :P

Archived