DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jahar Narishma

Ilyena

Well, we have established our positions which seem to be firmly opposite on this issue. I will admit the books probably wouldn't be as intriguing or annoying without the battle of the sexes so I can't honestly say I don't like it. But I obviously have a different conclusion in mind. For the record - balanced, but after some payback.

one can object to the way females act in WoT without objecting to strong women. Sometimes, they're just mean, and ill informed all at the same time.

I have to agree with Jedimuppet here. This is what i mean to argue. I'll leave my wider preference out of it for disscussion in the general debate and discussion forum and stop posting after getting back from the pubs when i'm in a take no prisoners mood

• 1 year later...
Guest Dreadlord

Into the heart he thrusts his sword,

into the heart, to hold their hearts.

Who draws it out shall follow after.

What hand can grasp that fearful blade?

UNQUOTE

Obviously refering to Narishma, I think we can all agree that each line means something. The first line dictates that Rand will plunge Callandor into the floor of the Heart of the Stone, the second line tells us why. The third line tells us that Narishma will follow after, whatever that means. But what about the fourth line?

What hand can grasp that fearful blade? That definitely isn't talking about Rand, because it is known his hand can grasp it, and there is nothing about that quote that hints towards Rand at all. Is there something special about Narishma that we dont know about? Thoughts, please

I've always read it pretty much like you do, but that way hasn't really led me anywhere.  Narishma has already drawn it out.  He already follows Rand.  He's already used it at the Cleansing.  So, there is seemingly nothing difficult about grasping and using it here-and-now.

But, what if we've been reading it wrongly?  What if the "he" in the first two lines is whomever put Callandor into the Stone in the first place?

Then the last two lines refer to Rand, aka The Dragon Reborn.

He was the only one who could penetrate the Wards.  Initially, his was the only hand that could grasp that fearful blade.  At the time those lines were written, his identity would have been unknowable.

Unfortunately, because Rand did drive Callandor into the floor of the Heart, expressly for the purpose of keeping Tear loyal to him while and whenever he might not be there, that reading doesn't work terribly well with the second line.

Of course, we haven't seen the end of the series yet.  After TG, Callandor could end up being re-emplaced into the Heart of the Stone, left there for the next great crisis.  For the next time the Dragon needs to be reborn.  That would make those lines prophetic of a ( hopefully ) far future conflict.

no, logain couldnt be sent, the rebels knew and saw him as a prisoner, narishma was an enigma...much better

Narishma was the best Ashaman candidate to be sent to negotiate because he ewas protected from any of the Rebel Aes Sedai by his status as Warder to Meris.  The custom of non interference in public doesn't just apply to Sisters but the doing of their Warders as well.  Of the two remaining Ashaman Warders Rand had available to send, Damer and Narishma, Merise stood higher than Corele and would therefore be less likely to get hassled.

For once I must disagree with Luckers.  Narishma has always been the "model" Ashaman. Even though he's standing quietly in the corner, Rand remarks a few times that there seems to be more going on behind those pretty eyes of his.

He's very strong, but not arrogant; He's intelligent, well-mannered, and maybe a bit TOO quiet and self-effacing.  It's good to see him stand up for what he believes in, especially in a confrontation with a group of Aes Sedai who could gentle him on the spot, law or no law.

So maybe he threw his toys out a bit about Merise taking his pin away - who on earth could blame him? Only a wet rag wouldn't have been upset about that. He's not sulking in his room and whining about it, he's working his anger out by sparring with Lan.

• 1 month later...

We have the circumstantial evidence of Rand nearly blasting his own army with lightning in the battle against the Seanchan... which supports Cadsuane's claim but does not prove it...

As to why makes Narishma possibly able to deal with Callandor better...Could be just that he has a permanent aes sedai to fight and link with...which according to Cadsuane gets rid of the broken buffer issue...

And yes, I realize Rand is bonded to two women who can channel and has Nyneave on top of that, but Rand is not going to 'allow' his women to be placed in danger where-as Narishma's relationship with his Aes Sedai does *not* give him the chance to say "no, you will NOT help me control this extremely powerful sa'angreal, you would be in danger, i will not allow it"

I really like Narishma!

How does Cadsuane know al these things? It's like she is a super-randlander, that knows so much, and is so wise, that no one can even come halfway when it comes to being intelligent, and an outright brainiac!

A few thoughts...

1) She's (I think), the oldest living Aes Sedai, the only one mentioned who's ever avoided being raised Amyrlin, she prevailed against the only two modern False Dragons mentioned by name, she stands above every Aes Sedai we've seen her meet, simply because she is Cadsuane Melaidhrin. She's the uber-Sedai, and we see her blending traits of all of the Ajahs (except the Yellow... as least as regards Healing... the assumption of superiority, yeah, she's got that) even though she's "the Green's Green." So superior knowledge isn't surprising for her, considering who she is.

2) She, along with some others, seems to act as part of the "Chorus"... we don't see her acting within the story, so much as talking directly to the reader by what she says to the characters, especially Rand.

In other words, I see Cadsuane as almost a "meta-character", included more for what she does for us, rather than what she does for the story. Even Min's viewing about her seems pretty mild, compared to her viewings about other major characters.

--Shannon

Archived