DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Star Trek Marathon: The Next Generation

Mystica

Someone once explained to me the difference between a trekker and a trekkie. I fell into the trekker side. I started out using trekker here I think, but others used trekkie. It's not important here, we're just having some fun poking fun at ourselves.  :)

Reboots what whole thing? Voyager or Star Trek in general? Are they planning another series? I hope not. I can't think what they'd use for plot lines - it's all been done. I didn't care much for the Transformers' screenplay. They'll prolly have Data pee on something. :(

Voyager had some good shows, but I have a low opinion of TV in general. I think the last thing I watched that I thought was truly great was "I, Claudius". Mostly I watch the History channel, HGTV, Food, Discovery, TLC occasionally. I liked the original CSI. Haven't seen much of the others.

• Community Administrator

Voyager is good, when you watch a single episode, every day. Ie 5 episodes a week.

If you were to watch it, when it first came out, 1 episode per week, it was a major let down. I mean, waiting a week for that 'omg whats gonnna happen next on those 2 parters!' only to be left less then thrilled at the conclusion of that said episode, it really does, let you down.. Now seein ghtem the next day, with out a weeks anticipation followed by a major let down, it is pretty great.

One of the things I love about star-trek is they do, come up with some pretty interesting moral dilemas. And voyager had more then there fair share then any other star-trek did.

aka, destroy an entire civilization to get home now.

Or, Rescue said civilization, and 'possibly' get home in the next 80 years... Hard decision.

To quote Joseph of Arimathea, out of the last crusade, "You chose.....    Poorly."  :P

My scale went as follows (I was bad enough to have at some point memorized the "Official Blueprints and Technical Manual" for the Enterprise D);

ST:TNG

ST:TOS

ST:DSN

ST:Voyager.  Although I have an Aunt who played some obscure character in an episode which was neat.

I refuse to even list Enterprise as a Star Trek for a multitude of reasons, the least of which is the lack of continuity with the rest of the series'.

I agree Enterprise ignores a lot of Star Trek 'precedent' I guess you could call it? Tradition maybe? I didn't see many episodes of it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. Since I don't have much TV time, a series really has to grab my interest quickly.

I did leave one series off my list that I used to watch a lot, Stargate SG-1, Before it cloned itself into Atlantis and then morphed into Farscapegate.

I think I'd rate Enterprise higher than Voyager by just a little bit. Continuity with the rest of the shows is an ugly flaw noticeable only to the more hardcore fans, but as a series its only real flaw was that it was boring.

My scale went as follows (I was bad enough to have at some point memorized the "Official Blueprints and Technical Manual" for the Enterprise D);

ST:TNG

ST:TOS

ST:DSN

ST:Voyager.

No way.  Deep Space 9 was by far the best of the Trek series.  There was a continous arc, stories with repercussions that lasted more than a cliffhanger, and most importantly characters that changed over the course of 7 years.

I think my favroite stand-alone episodes were on The Next Generation (TNG's "Inner Light" just beats out DS9's "Far Beyond the Stars"), but DS9 in my opnion was the better show overall.

I agree Enterprise ignores a lot of Star Trek 'precedent' I guess you could call it? Tradition maybe? I didn't see many episodes of it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. Since I don't have much TV time, a series really has to grab my interest quickly.

I did leave one series off my list that I used to watch a lot, Stargate SG-1, Before it cloned itself into Atlantis and then morphed into Farscapegate.

That is because Rick Berman, executive producer, hasn't actually seen all of the original series episodes, so he has no idea what is canon and what is not.

Oooo Star Trek thread...  :D

I admit, I was not a fan of TOS at all, still not really.  But I saw the last episode of TNG when it was going off the air, and that's when I became a fan of the series.  I mainly like TNG and Voyager.

You know you're a Trekker/Trekkie when you met your husband in an online Star Trek chat room 11+ years ago...  ><  Yep, met my husband in The Holodeck on Compuserve loooong ago... lol.  My handle was *Dr. Beverly Crusher*...  the * make is special!  Hahaa...

I weep with you chilli.  :'(

Someone (i wish I could remember who) wrote a book with a lot of ST canon (good word) in it, The Star Trek Compendium or something like that. Seems to me if you're going to do something with a franchise that's been around as long as Trek has you could make sure your writers have at least the basics down. But then, I'm pretty sure I'd never make it as a producer in Hollywood.  ;D

If we're doing a poll, I vote for DSN too!

Jhae! How romantic!  :)

DS9 rocks just prior to the Dominion Wars and out. Voyager rocks with the intro of the Borg and out. TNG Rocks once stupid Dr. P is replaced and Dr. Crusher returns.

TOS just rocks the whole way, though I'd love to see how they would do with a modern budget but same exact plotline, etc..

Enterprise just has its moments here and there.

Enterprise I think they handled that badly and underestimated the loyalty of the fans to the series' integrity. When they started it I was excited, then I saw the opening song and I was like 'wtf....... HUH?'Outrage, unbelief, convinced I had been hallucinating, watching it again the next week, nope no hallucination, shock, hours of pondering what the hell they were thinking, another week passed, again that idiotic pathetic 'herowannabe' entry song'. This was NOT Star Trek. Right from that song on they had me up in arms. I could almost see Roddenberry turn himself over in his grave.

But...... I wàs a ST fan and I wàs gonna give every single one of them a fair chance. So, each week, I zapped through the opening song (secretely singing the old tune to myself to get in the mood, you know) and then zapped back when the show started. It was weird but I kept an open mind, tried to get in the 'spirit' of the series, told myself I had to jump back in time, forget the technology of the others, etc. And after a while it too grew on me as a concept of a pre-quel to TOS.

Still, I'll néver get used to that opening tune...  :-\

• Community Administrator

Enterprise I think they handled that badly and underestimated the loyalty of the fans to the series' integrity. When they started it I was excited, then I saw the opening song and I was like 'wtf....... HUH?'Outrage, unbelief, convinced I had been hallucinating, watching it again the next week, nope no hallucination, shock, hours of pondering what the hell they were thinking, another week passed, again that idiotic pathetic 'herowannabe' entry song'. This was NOT Star Trek. Right from that song on they had me up in arms. I could almost see Roddenberry turn himself over in his grave.

But...... I wàs a ST fan and I wàs gonna give every single one of them a fair chance. So, each week, I zapped through the opening song (secretely singing the old tune to myself to get in the mood, you know) and then zapped back when the show started. It was weird but I kept an open mind, tried to get in the 'spirit' of the series, told myself I had to jump back in time, forget the technology of the others, etc. And after a while it too grew on me as a concept of a pre-quel to TOS.

Still, I'll néver get used to that opening tune...  :-\

I thought it fit, considering it was the first 'enterprise' and really, the first 'exploration mission' of the 'federation' before the 'federation'. :P

You know, the song went perfectly with the intro/slideshow. :P

I loved the theme to enterprise. The actual show wasn't as good but it was worth wataching (did have a little srush on Trip for a while there *whistles*)

When watching now the first series of Voyager and DS9 are the hardest to watch and they definately get better as they grew and developed the people on the shows.

It would be good to have a poll on your fav AT series.

As for Stargate, love SG1 and Atlantis...(Dr Daniel Jackson, and John Shepherd made it even more worthwhile watching)  :-[

Between TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT, as well as SG-1 and SG1: ATL, I love ALL of the themes, and I love ALL of the shows except for the start of VOY and DS9 and SG-1: ATL, and except for most of ENT. For me, there are two worst moments though throughout all of the shows. The WORST is season two of TNG. Ack.... *shudders at the ugly annoying doctor* I'm so glad Patrick Stewart threatened to walk out if Crusher didn't come back. Closely following that was the pilot to DS9, though in VOY, I loathe Kes until she gets long hair.

Archived