DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your first time

Kaznen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on a camping holiday in 2000, aged 13, and I'd read all of the books with me, so borrowed tEoTW from a friend, read straight through it, and then promptly forgot about the series until last summer, when I found tDR, tSR, LoC and CoT in a second hand bookshop. I now have bought the entire series and read it twice (at least... I lost count and I'm a stupidly fast reader; I can get through a WoT in five hours of solid reading)

First post! [Don't ask about the username, it comes from my university email address]

Guest TigerToe

Started reading this series in the early 90's 91?-92?

was in Highschool then...har har its take me something like 15 or 16 years and i havent even finished the series yet(type RJ type)....and that Drizzt guy too.

I have spent half my life reading WoT....

hmm lets see. As a kid i'd heard so much about it from my older brother and two of his friends who had begun reading the series from almsot the very beggining. In fact, i still remember them arguing about certain plot developments, what somthing meant and waiting in anticipation for the next book etc. So when i was in year 5 i took a go at reading it. I think its suffice to say, i didnt get past the prologue =P i just had no idea what was going on particularly at that age >_>

Finally in year 6 (bout 8-7 years ago i think, I would've been around 10 years old) i finally took out the book again and gave it another go. Still couldnt make much sense of the prolugue but i gave it a chance and i'm still reading it all these years later. Unfortunately though, my older brother doesnt think too much of the series anymore especially after cot (he still hasnt read KoD despite all my prodings). He's become an Erikson fan amongst certain other authors.

• 2 weeks later...

I was 14, I'd read the Belgariad and the Shannara books, so i wanted something else. My mum pushed EotW into my hands, and three hours later I was in love with Rand. I kept reading and have so far read 1 - 5 four times, 5 - 9 twice and 10 once. Have just started 1 for the fifth time, so that by the time I get to 11 (under the bed) i can fully appreciate it! I know the names, but CAN I remember if they're Black Ajah or not?! No.

Guest Lord Captain Valda

Haha mine owns all of yours. It was 2004 and I was in seventh grade.... I had gotten a gift card to borders and had no idea of what to get so I went to the fantasy section. I looked and pulled a book off the shelf at random. I think it was TDR so I went and picked out tEotW and read the first couple pages. (more like skimmed actually) I saw the word "bow" and was like "this will work". I love long books so i read it and I was hooked. True story.

Well, my first time through the books was courtesy of my first lover. :D

In late 2000, I'd just finished reading GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire series (first 2 books) (also the boyfriend's fault - he hadn't read it yet, but had the first book sitting on the shelf, when I was in desperate need of a long read to take with me on a long boring business trip). So he said if I like GRRM, I should try tEotW. He knew I like strong female characters and good character development in my fiction, so he told me a little about the series. I stalled for a bit over the idea that the series was projected to 12 books, and wasn't even finished yet, (book 8 or 9 out by that point I think?). He said he wouldn't give me too many details, but he did warn me, "EVERYTHING in the first book is Significant!".

I really got excited about the series when the women's stories became more dominant, books 4, 5, 6, etc. I also discovered that this series reads best when you can devote many hours to it, and preferably, read the books back to back. I actually did a huge chunk of the middle of the series while on vacation in Hawaii while said boyfriend was... er, "indisposed" with the Big Kahuna's Revenge.

3 months later, I was just getting into book 8 (I lose track of the titles in relation to their order), when the aforementioned boyfriend broke up with me. In the traumatic aftermath, I kept reading the book, but I didn't really "absorb" any story points, I was too absorbed in my own melodrama. I bought book 9, but didn't read it, as the series was too linked in my mind with the Ex-BF. Wanted to avoid thinking about that whole mess.

That was 5 years ago. 6 months ago, I started rereading the series, from the beginning, via audio books, instead. As I've posted elsewhere, I'm a big audio book fan, and listen while working on other stuff. I deliberately seek out long books, so I can devote long hours to my other passions. And I like to listen to things I've read before that are worth multiple reads. WoT certainly fit those requirements. I just recently finished up KoD, and am now trying to figure out how long I should wait before starting the series AGAIN.

I'd like to do a really analytical read - highlighter in hand, pen & paper to take notes, make charts of character relationships, etc. But my hobbies that make it possible to listen to audio books, make it difficult to write notes at the same time. And they leave so little time anymore for reading books in print. I still read print format, but I'm lucky to get through 5 pages before I fall asleep at night - that's the only time left for print reading - when I go to bed.

There will be a next time, just don't know when.

Well, I was in 7th grade when I first picked up EotW. My mom had just bought me a library membership, so I sauntered over to the science fiction/fantasy section of the library to see what I could see. I had always been a lover of books and reading was (and still is) my favorite pastime. My biggest complaint had always been that the novels ended without giving me satisfation. I loved Tolkien, but even that wasn't long enough to satiate my hunger. As I'm browsing through the aisles I see a massive hardcover called Eye of the World. First the size, then the name of the book quickened my interest. So I picked it up and discovered that it wasa the first book of a series. Even better. I couldn't resist, and checked out EotW, TGH, and TDR (the other 4 were checked out) and went home. After reading the first chapter of EotW I was hooked. I devoured the three I had checked out in one week (not bad for a seventh grader) I begged my mom (if your mom is a teacher and you want books, you get them!) to get me the series. I'm now waiting until Thursday after finals before buying KoD [and apparently college students have to buy their own books:( ]. I reread the series at least once per year, and a couple of years ago as soon as I finished PoD I started in on EotW the same day. I absolutely love WoT, and will continue until the day I die.

my best friend started reading them when she was about 10 and spnt a year nattering on to me about what was happening so far all the while pointing to this random map at the front of the book.

i wasnt much of a fantasy reader then and the size of the books daunted me. i read some...about 50pages or so and totally lost the plot.

about a year later ( i still had my friends copy of the book) i went to high school and had a long train trip to face daily so i took it with me and read some...

it took me less time to finish each successive book, tKoD tok me about 13hrs....straight.

i still have all my friends copies of tEotW-CoT (we bought her new copies because i read them so much they fell apart.

now i read almost exclusively fantasy, (just finished robin hobb's three trilogies) with at least 5 classics a year (i'm cheating this year and rereading my austins)

I was in grade 10 (14/15 years old), and I had just finished reading all the available books in another series (how bad is that, its only three years ago, and I can't remember what I was reading). So I rocked up to my school library, looking for a series that looked finished. They had the first nine books, and I figured that it meant the series was finished, so I got tEoTW out, and read the first few separately, loved them, then made sure I had all of the rest straight after another, so I have no idea what happens in each individual book, and I wasn't turned off by any. After I read 1-10, I moved on to aSoIaF, and dismissed WoT as just another better than average series. Well, I loved aSoIaF, and as opposed to Luckers, for a 15 year old girl, reading about someone my age, especially with a name so much like mine (Danielle/Danerys) being raped was not cool for me, but I liked the fact that it was a bit darker, and not as 'fair' as other books tend to be. I totally forgot about WoT until I found New Spring and read it. It was like coming home, and I knew I had to own these books.

I got my first WoT book's at the local libary book sale for 25 cents. It was tDR and tSR. I Tried reading them through then but i couldent. So I put them aside, about 3 years ago i picked them back up and read them through. After that I was hooked, so I went and looked for all of the one that i did't have. tGH was the last one I found. My Fav. book is tFoH. The one that killed the storyline the most i though was Crown of Swords.

• 3 weeks later...

It was fall 2002. I was pregnant with my first son and just got fired from my job because I was pregnant. That, of course, wasn't their reason for firing me, but I shouldn't have been fired. :x I was bored with all of my free time so I asked a friend of my husband's to let me borrow his WoT books. I read 1 - 10 before my son was born in January. I am rereading them now before I read 11, and needless to say I own them all now. Can't wait for 12!!! :lol:

This is actually quite scary lol... I've been reading fantasy since I was 6/7 yrs old. Started with Narnia, Prydain, Earthsea etc and moved on to Eddings in my very early teens. Then I got some book tokens for Waterstones from a mate for my birthday. I'd just finished a heavy bout of uni exam reading (Dickens, Hardy, Austen and so on)and was looking for my usual fantasy release for a change. Pure chance that I decided I needed to try a new author and bought the first two books together. That was 1992 ffs :? how old do I feel now? lol

I was hooked from the first paragraph. Its all that good v. evil stuff, gets the adrenaline pumping.. oh and the wolves of course.... gets me every time if there's wolves in it. And I just adore long books and long stories.

Love every single book and every word. Been waiting a long, long time now to get to the end of this journey. Timewise it takes me less than a day to read each book simply because I sit down and don't move until its finished !!

Not a question of "having time to sit and read all day". I take anti depressants which prevent me sleeping very well so I read most of the night, I wouldn't really class that as lucky. :) But it sure means I get through a lot of books.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a big box of books for sale all unread it only cost me five pound. Inside it were Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy and the Tawny man as well as the first eight of RJ's. I picked up RB's first as I liked the front cover and left the rest forgetting about them. Then when I got bored of the others and needed something new to read I remembered them and took the first in the bath to read 3 hours latter I was still in there. I just couldnt put it down. I've read them countless times but I keep slowing down when I read tPoD. If it hadn't been for the rest I might have stopped at that one but I just had to find out what happened to Mat.

• 4 weeks later...
"Eve"

Lucky...i wish i had the time to just sit and read all day.

no, you don't...

take it from one who can...

i am disabled and can do basically anything i want, including reading, all day long.

if your intent meant you would like to spend a brief period with the oportunity to do nothing but read for extended hours i would be a little less likely to call you down. i don't know of anyone that truly has that choice, unless being young or rich, but a normal person has not this luxury unless, as i mentioned, you are physically diabled.

my disability stems mainly from ototoxicity - my vestibules were totally damaged due to errant high levels of antibiotics prescribed by my doctor. i have no equilibrium. i can do any task that involves sitting on me arse but i would much rather walk around the block, ride a bicycle or swim once again. i can't hear the mosquitoes that fly into my ears though i once could easily. i no longer hear the cymbals in my favorite pieces of music.

sorry to be a downer - the mere fact that someone would want to be striken with endless time to do naught upsets me. :oops:

The first time that I read WOT was back when I was about 13. I walked into the bookstore at the local mall, and I was interested in science fiction and fantasy things. So I was looking at the books and the cover art for EoTW caught my attention and I read the back cover. I was hooked as soon as I started, when Tam and Rand were on the road and Rand sees the Fade. It has always been a great thing to be able to read on my free time. I can't wait for AMoL

Archived